C182 Fuel Planner

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
achitan
Airman Basic

C182 Fuel Planner

Post by achitan »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qzsg7jupnio5 ... JPW2a?dl=0

So I've always been bugged by the fact that I always had to look for the C182 manual and compute the fuel needed for my flights, especially as I don't really have that much time for virtual flying. So I've made a small application (Windows command line app) that computes the fuel needed with minimum input based on the manual that A2A is providing (the performance parts).

I've polished it a little and added contingency fuel (5% of trip fuel or 15 mins, whichever is higher) and reserve fuel for 45 mins. If the maximum fuel weight is lower than required, the app will adjust the reserve time to fit in with full fuel tanks.

One other adjustment that the app does is to lower the cruise FL by 2000 ft if the TOD comes before the TOC (climb distance higher than flight plan distance) until it finds a good candidate. All computations will thus change to fit this.

Another adjustment that the app may do is the cruise rpm and/or the cruise manifold pressure. If the user requested a cruise profile that matches no entry (not possible) in the manual, the app will automatically increase rpm by 100 and recompute. If it gets to 2'400 rpm and it still can't find a valid cruise profile (wrong manifold pressure), it will decrease the requested manifold pressure by 1 until it finds a valid profile. Cruise computations will change to accommodate the new profile.
All changes will be given to the pilot in the final report.

Bellow I've put a final report for a flight that is 220 nm long, at FL100, 2200 rpm, 20 inHg MP, normal climb profile with a 20 nm alternate in IFR rules. There is a .txt file in the installation folder and a desktop shortcut describing how to use this app. Link is at the start of the post :).

ALL THESE CALCULATIONS ARE BASED ON A 3'100 LBS (MAX WEIGHT) AIRPLANE WITH NO WI
ND COMPONENT!
FOR EVERY 10 KTS HEADWIND COMPONENT (AVG CRUISE) ADD 7% TO THE TRIP FUEL
FOR EVERY 10 KTS TAILWIND COMPONENT (AVG CRUISE) SUBTRACT 7% FROM THE TRIP FUEL
!!!NOT FOR REAL FLIGHTS!!!

======FLIGHT PARAMETERS======
=============================
CLIMB PROFILE: NORMAL 90 KIAS MAX POWER (see placard)
CLIMB TIME AND GROUND DISTANCE COVERED: 19 MINS AND 31 NM
CRUISE: FL100 2200 rpm and 20 inHg
FLIGHT PLAN TIME: 104 MINS (1 hrs and 44 mins)

======FUEL BREAKDOWN======
==========================
TRIP FUEL [gal]: 15.9381
CONTINGENCY FUEL [gal]: 2.39071
ALTERNATE FUEL [gal]: 1.68657
RESERVE FUEL FOR 45 MINS [gal]: 8.475
==========================
BLOCK FUEL [gal]: 35 (17.5 for each tank)

Hope you enjoy it and find it usefull!

Adrian

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”