Possible Impending Prepar3d v2.4 OOM signal?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
beaurice172
Airman

Possible Impending Prepar3d v2.4 OOM signal?

Post by beaurice172 »

Hello All,

I got a new computer, and decided to install Prepar3d v2.4. The A2A C182T was the first aircraft I purchased for it. I love the look, but there have been a lot of issues with OOM’s, in the 2.4 version. I have the settings and startup procedures figured out, with the help of Rob Ainscough, but the 182 is doing something none of my other aircraft are doing. After about 40 minutes, my strobe and beacon lights stop working. I am still able to complete a five plus hour flight, smoothly and with no other issues. FPS, even over LAX are in the 50-60 range, the whole flight.

Do you think this is an aircraft issue, or am I just on the ragged edge of my virtual memory? No other aircraft does this (pay ware or default). All add-ons are P3D specific (no porting from FSX). My system is: i7-4790K overclocked to 4.7 GHz, Corsair Dominator DDR3 2400 MHz 2x8 GB, MSI GeForce GTX980 Gaming 4G GPU, 4x256 GB SSD drives, Windows 7 64 Bit Pro. During my flights I am using ASN, RCv4, REX4 Texture Direct, Prepar3d v2.4, Flight1 Tech GTN650, and the A2A C182T. All but RCv4 are P3D only. The computer is used only for P3D and FSX.

Thank you for thoughts, and informative community, around amazing A2A products.

Best regards,
Beau
P3Dv4 / AS / REX / Orbx
i9-9900K 4.7GHz / RTX2080 Ti
ImageImageImage

beaurice172
Airman

Re: Possible Impending Prepar3d v2.4 OOM signal?

Post by beaurice172 »

I just did another five hour and twenty minute flight. I kept my spot views to a minimum, and stayed in the VC, most of the flight. I kept all my settings the same, however at 5000 feet, I turned off my strobes (along with my landing light). The beacon continued to work, the entire flight. At 5000 feet, on approach, I turned on my landing and strobe lights. Both turned on, and were visible in spot view. After clearing the runway, I did an instant replay. My strobes were no longer visible. I am thinking this is because I am close to running out of virtual memory. I am not sure how to view my available virtual memory, since I am not using a purchased version of FSUICP.

Cheers,

Beau
P3Dv4 / AS / REX / Orbx
ImageImageImage

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

The instant replay system in FSX is very buggy, and things like canopy position, flap position, etc., will not show in the replay. I don't know if P3D has this same issue, but figured I'd mention it anyway.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I am not sure how to view my available virtual memory, since I am not using a purchased version of FSUICP.

Cheers,

Beau
Beau,

Process Explorer from sysinternals.com will allow you to view, among other things, the "Virtual Size"
of the memory being used by each process. You can usually get the FSX.exe process to be at, or near,
the top of the list by having it sort on that column. It will show you how much of the 4GB VAS is
urrently being used by FSX whereas the FSUIPC4 VAS gives the remaining unused space.

It is a free utility.

I have a registered version of FSUIPC4, which I could not do without, and have created a small
XML code snippet that I added to one of my 2D pop-ups that displays my FSX VAS. I also have
a Lua script that will open a small Lua Display window for 2-3 seconds, displaying the current
VAS when it gets below a pre-set value. I set my threshold to be 500000 bytes.

Both of those use the FSUIPC4 VAS offset that Pete added.

Paul

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Chunk wrote:The instant replay system in FSX is very buggy, and things like canopy position, flap position, etc., will not show in the replay. I don't know if P3D has this same issue, but figured I'd mention it anyway.
Just to add to Chunk's post above, never use the replay for troubleshooting due to the errors and limitations of the system.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

beaurice172
Airman

Post by beaurice172 »

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies.
Chunk wrote:The instant replay system in FSX is very buggy, and things like canopy position, flap position, etc., will not show in the replay. I don't know if P3D has this same issue, but figured I'd mention it anyway.
Thanks for the reminder, Chuck. I forgot about it's behavior, in FSX. I used locked spot view, in P3D, and it was shockingly smooth. I did the replay, right after exiting the runway, and before my after landing checks (so the configuration would be the same, in playback). I was not trying to troubleshoot the lights so much as looking at my landing. I have not landed a light GA plane (real world) in over a decade. I am used to landing (again RW) a super critical swept wing CRJ-200, with the power coming back at about 50 to 100 feet. This A2A 182 is so incredibly modeled, that I can feel myself tensing up on landing, and hoping I don't damage the gear! Bravo (Sorry, Mooney) on a job well done, A2A. Simply awesome! So the debate goes on for me: power on, or power off landings.

Paul,
I will get sysinternals installed, and take a look. As far as Licensed FSUICP (anyone, please feel free to chime in), do I need it? I currently only fly four aircraft, in P3Dv2.4: The installed Carenado A36, the Carenado B58 Baron (much thanks to Bert Pieke, for helping me with the autopilot, and dual GTN650 install), The A2A C182T (Lewis, I need to PM you about a bundle price on the Cherokee 180. I didn't know there was a P3D version available when I purchased my FSX version, and no I refuse to try and port it over), and the T-6. My only controller so far (but Ray Marshall has me fired up to do a full Saitek cockpit) is a CH Eclipse yoke. I like the idea of saving different aircraft profiles, but I am not jumping between airliners and GA pistons. I have been on the fence about getting it licensed for a long time.

Thanks for the great community, here at A2A. I have found so many informative posts, and the humor makes me laugh out loud.

Best regards,
Beau
P3Dv4 / AS / REX / Orbx
ImageImageImage

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

Gypsy Baron wrote: I have a registered version of FSUIPC4, which I could not do without, and have created a small
XML code snippet that I added to one of my 2D pop-ups that displays my FSX VAS. I also have
a Lua script that will open a small Lua Display window for 2-3 seconds, displaying the current

Paul
Hi Paul,

I'm curious about the XML code you created. If you are willing to share, I'd like to see it.

Thanks,
Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

renaissanceman wrote:
Gypsy Baron wrote: I have a registered version of FSUIPC4, which I could not do without, and have created a small

Paul
Hi Paul,

I'm curious about the XML code you created. If you are willing to share, I'd like to see it.

Thanks,
Jim
Hello Jim. here is the code I created to keep me informed of my VAS usage. It does rely
upon FSUIPC4.

Code: Select all

My XML code relies upon a Lua script that runs and updates the L:variable
"L:VAS" when the VAS value in offse 0x024C changes (provided by FSUIPC4).
The VAS will be displayed in a small Lua window as a warning when the VAS 
value goed below a preset value (500000 in my case below). The display
lasts for 2 seconds and repeats when the VAS changes and is still below 
the threshold value.

VAS.lua

function VAS(control, vas)

vas_in = ipc.readUD(0x024C)
    ipc.writeLvar("L:VAS", vas_in)

if
	   vas_in < 500000 then
	   ipc.display("VAS = "..vas_in,2)
	end

end

event.offset(0x024C,"UW","VAS")

My XML code is part of a 'larger" special purpose guage that displays a number of parameters
that I use for navigation in my B-17G during missions of the 91st BG such as the relative 
bearings and distances to the VOR/DME stations ytuned on Nav1 and Nav2, Ground Speed, Magnetic
Heading, Track, Drift and a Wind Arrow. The VAS section below would need the "Position X= Y= "
values changed to position this display on a 2-D BMP background. This is just the code snippet
for the VAS display and is not a complete gauge as such.

//========================== DISPLAY VAS ===================================
   <Element>
      <Visible>(L:VAS, number) 499999 > </Visible>
      <Position X="25" Y="138"/>
      <Text X="80" Y="12" Length="8" Fixed="Yes" Font="arial" Adjust="Left" VerticalAdjust="Top" Color="#EAEAEA"   Bright="Yes">
    <String>%((L:VAS, number))%!07d!</String>
      </Text>
   </Element>    

<Element>
      <Visible>(L:VAS, number) 500000 <</Visible>
      <Position X="25" Y="138"/>
      <Text X="80" Y="12" Length="8" Fixed="Yes" Font="arial" Adjust="Left" VerticalAdjust="Top" Color="#FF0000"   Bright="Yes">
    <String>%((L:VAS, number))%!07d!</String>
      </Text>
   </Element> 
Hope this helps.
Paul
i7-4790K @4.4Ghz OC - ASUS Z97-A- 16GB Corsair 1600mHz - GTX 760 2GB
240GB + 500GB EVO SSD's - 2x500GB and 1x2TB WD Black 7200 RPM drives

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

Thanks Paul :mrgreen:

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”