Switching from autopilot ROL to HDG mode using Joystick

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
kityatyi
Airman

Switching from autopilot ROL to HDG mode using Joystick

Post by kityatyi »

Hello all,

Loving the A2A Skylane which I own for a few weeks now.

Today I started playing around with the Input Configurator to achieve smooth Autopilot engages. This before I had to bother with changing view in order to engage the autopilot, clicking on the small button in the VC and then again, clicking on the HDG button to switch from ROL mode to HDG mode.

I assigned five buttons to my Thrustmaster HOTAS X using the Input Configurator. One for the AP Engage, one for the AP Disconnect, and another three buttons for HDG, NAV and ALT modes.

After takeoff, I can successfully engage the Autopilot using the assigned joystick command. This automatically engages ROL mode and also holds the current VS, which is cool.

Now I would like to switch from ROL to HDG mode, using the joystick button that I assigned for the HDG mode. However, this does not seem to work.

I can click this button and indeed it is recognized by the autopilot, but only momentarily does it change to HDG mode. As soon as I release the joystick button it goes back to ROL mode immediately.

I can change to HDG mode only by clicking on the small HDG button in the VC.

But the issue exists the other way around, too. In HDG mode, I cannot go to ROL mode using my assigned joystick button. It goes back to HDG mode immediately when I release the joystick button.

As long as I hold down the joystick button, it does change between ROL and HDG but as soon as I release it, for some reason it reverts back to the mode which was active before pressing the joystick button.

Is there a way to make it work so that I can change from ROL to HDG (and back from HDG to ROL) using my joystick?

I have been using Prepar3D v3.2 by the way.

Thank you for your attention.

Zsolt

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Switching from autopilot ROL to HDG mode using Joystick

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Zsolt and welcome to the forums. :)

I don't use the P3D version of the C182 but in the FSX version these buttons do function properly when assigned via the input configurator. (The button animation itself isn't functional though).

I think there have been some changes to the way the input configurator works for the P3D version. Therefore, the first question is have you downloaded and installed the latest Accu-Sim update? (Even new customers should install it.)

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

kityatyi
Airman

Post by kityatyi »

Hello,

And thank you for your kind response!

I indeed installed the latest Accusim update even though I noticed that one exists only several days after my purchase. :-)

But yes, it is installed.

I also noticed that I cannot switch to NAV mode either, using the pre-assigned joystick button. It goes back to ROL mode for some reason. As long as I keep the joystick button pressed the new mode is activated but when I release the button it goes back to the previous mode, such as ROL, from which I wanted to change to HDG or NAV.

But once again, the AP engage and disengage buttons work and the ALT button works too.

Very strange.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Strange indeed! :?

Unfortunately I can't try to replicate the issue you describe, but perhaps one of the A2A devs/testers, or another customer who uses P3D rather than FSX will be able to.

In the event that you have a registered copy of FSUIPC, it should be possible to use this to program the buttons instead (in fact, this method has the advantage that the button animations can also be programmed too). However, it's probably best to wait for the official A2A support to get on the case.

Regards,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

kityatyi
Airman

Post by kityatyi »

I do not have a registered copy of FSUIPC but if this cannot be sorted otherwise I am going to purchase it because it is very useful to have those buttons configured for the joystick.

But as said let's see if someone has any clue what is going on, what can be the issue here.

:)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Are you using the P3D c182 or the FSX c182?

The FSX one will of course not work there's many differences and some of the most recent have been in the controls.

If using the P3D 182 version are you all updated with the latest updater?

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

kityatyi
Airman

Post by kityatyi »

Hi Lewis,

Thanks for your input.

I have been using the P3D Academic version of the Cessna 182 and a few days later I have updated it using the Accusim updater.

Cheers,
Zsolt

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

It's possible that Lockheed has changed how joysticks are processed in their SDK (again). We will investigate.
Michael Krawczyk

kityatyi
Airman

Post by kityatyi »

Thank you very much! If there is a solution (or workaround) found then where will it be announced? In this topic?

Cheers,
Zsolt

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

an update from our end would be part of the Accu-sim updater and an update Lockheeds end would of course be a part of a future P3D update dependent on whats happened.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

The issue should be fixed in the next Accusim update.
Michael Krawczyk

kityatyi
Airman

Post by kityatyi »

Great news, thank you sooo much!

Cheers,
Zsolt

kityatyi
Airman

Post by kityatyi »

Hello again,

Just wanted to add that a similar issue seems to be happening on the Texan, assigned a joystick button to the Autopilot Master Switch /the one on the right hand side panel/ and pressing the button does momentarily turn on the autopilot but immediately the switch jumps back to off. I can turn it on with the mouse though. But when on, trying to turn it off using the joystick does not work either, it goes off and back on immediately.

Probably the same thing as the issue with the 182 autopilot mentioned earlier.

Best regards,
Zsolt

kityatyi
Airman

Post by kityatyi »

some1 - A2A wrote:The issue should be fixed in the next Accusim update.
Hi guys,

posted about this almost a year ago, but the issue still (or again?) does exist. Assigned a button for the AP HDG HOLD, NAV HOLD and some other AP functions. When engaging the AP, it automatically goes to ROL mode, which is fine. Now, I wanna activate HDG mode. Pressing the HDG button ON MY DEVICE (Saitek throttle panel) momentarily turns on HDG hold but as soon as I release the button, it goes back to ROL mode.

Same if I wanna engage NAV mode. It goes back to the currently active mode, cannot switch modes using my device. Clicking on the AP panel itself works fine.

As a response to my finding a year ago I was told it will be fixed with the next Accusim update but it does not work (yet or again). Any chance to fix it please?

Cheers!

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

It may be possible that some updates to joystick controls in p3d changed this behavior again or the fix didn't make it to the release version. Will investigate.
Michael Krawczyk

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”