P3Dv4 FPS drop, clouds turn orange on engine shutdown; DME

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

P3Dv4 FPS drop, clouds turn orange on engine shutdown; DME

Post by MatzeH84 »

Interesting issue I came across, which also seems unique to the 182 (so far have the MV Beaver, the Connie, AS Twotter and some other DC6 *cough* running in v4).

Everytime shutting down the engine and the props runs down, the framerate drops significantly, and the cloud colour changes until the prop has stopped. See attached screenshots.
This does however not happen, if the prop spins down after a failed start attempt.

Secondly, I cannot get a DME readout, which worked great back in FSX SP2 and SE. I also attached a screenshot at ENSG, tuned at 114.20 SOG VOR with the A2A DME unit, and with the standard Mooney. In the Mooney I get a good readout. Slaving to Nav1 doesn't fix this!

Mixture cut

Still not fully stopped

Prop fully stopped

DME issue, left on 182, right on the Mooney.
Kind regards, Matthias

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: P3Dv4 FPS drop, clouds turn orange on engine shutdown; D

Post by Nick - A2A »

Matthias,

I suspect the FPS drop on engine shutdown is related to the particle effects (i.e. engine smoke) which is generated when this happens. Perhaps you could try reducing the special effects sliders in P3D to see if this helps? Not sure about the colour change - do you use any shader mods such as PTA?

A2A used custom programming to simulate a standalone DME with "FREQ" mode which is apparently why some limitations and small discrepancies exist depending on the navaid in question. (See here for more info.) However, "RMT" mode should work fine; I notice you say "slaving to Nav1 doesn't fix this" though. Do you mean you don't get a DME readout in "RMT" mode either, assuming a navaid is properly tuned into NAV1? If so, perhaps the issue is related to the GTN installation?

Thanks,
Nick

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Hey Nick,

indeed moving the special effects slider to low dampens the effect, but it is still there. But this confirms it's related to particle effects.

I reloaded the plane, now in RMT i can get a proper DME reading.. in Freq not, however.

I switched to FSX-SE, and here the unit works as expected:

So I guess there must be either an issue with the newly released F1 "GTN complete" units, or with the unit itself within v4.
Kind regards, Matthias

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

MatzeH84 wrote:So I guess there must be either an issue with the newly released F1 "GTN complete" units, or with the unit itself within v4.
I think it's a bit more complex than that. Whether-or-not the RMT mode functions seems to depend on how (or where) the aircraft is loaded in the sim. For instance, if I load the Skylane directly at ENSG, DME RMT mode is inop. as you observed. However, if I restart the sim, load the 182 as LFRD, and tune the DME to 114.3 MHz, I find I can pick up the DIN VOR/DME. Then if I use the "Navigation" and "Go to Airport..." options to move to ENSG, the RMT mode continues to work as advertised: i.e. I can pick up the SOG VOR/DME if I retune the set to 114.2 MHz. Perhaps try the same experiment Matthias and see what happens?

See - it's working here in P3Dv4! :?

Cheers,
Nick

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Ok, I replicated your test; loaded up at LFRD and tuned in 114.30 in Nav1 as well as in the DME unit.
Via Nav1 (RMT) I got a DME readout. Via Freq, no result.
Switched location to ENSG and tuned 114.20 in Nav1 as well as in the DME unit.
Via Nav1 (RMT) I got a DME readout, via Freq also.

So there must be something optimizable within the coding..?
Kind regards, Matthias

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

MatzeH84 wrote:Ok, I replicated your test; loaded up at LFRD and tuned in 114.30 in Nav1 as well as in the DME unit.
Via Nav1 (RMT) I got a DME readout. Via Freq, no result.
Switched location to ENSG and tuned 114.20 in Nav1 as well as in the DME unit.
Via Nav1 (RMT) I got a DME readout, via Freq also.

So there must be something optimizable within the coding..?
Hmm, so slightly different results, but still with a functional DME FREQ mode after moving the aircraft to ENSG. I can't speak to the coding, but it's certainly behaviour which is hard to understand.

I suspect factors like add-on scenery BGL's can come into play, and it's worth noting that I also have updated navdata in my installation of P3D.

Thanks,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”