Rudder Trim

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
mikebl
Airman Basic

Rudder Trim

Post by mikebl »

I just purchased the 182 about 2 weeks ago.

I have all my sliders and settings set with what I've seen in the forums. When I take off, the plane immediately starts rolling to the left enough that I need to correct it. So, I've started adjusting my rudder trim a few degs to the right. That helps for a minute or so till it begins rolling again and I make another adjustment with the rudder trim. Now this has been going on since I first purchased the 182. Now it only takes me about 5 minutes to get it somewhat workable. Let me add that the AUTORUDDER is unchecked.
Going through my settings just to make sure I hadn't missed something, I went ahead and checked the AR box to see what might happen. To my surprise, it greatly improved the situation. I still have to trim the rudder about 3 or 4 degs which will hold a heading for a few minutes, till i need to tweak it again.
I don't know if this means anything but my AP is OFF.
Now, I understand that this sim is for people that want and have to fly this plane by the book, but I can't believe that this happens in real life.

Thanks for your time,
Mike

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Rudder Trim

Post by Oracle427 »

There is no issue. This is how real single engine prop aircraft fly. The correct technique is to apply the correct amount of right rudder to counteract the left turning tendency.

It is not correct to try and fly with the trim. Leave the trim centered in the takeoff position and just apply rudder. The rudder trim is used for cruise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxt2SzOsAY

Just in case you have any doubts, I fly a 182 IRL very regularly. Part of learning to fly requires slow flight where the aircraft is flown at a relatively high power setting at a very slow airspeed at a high angle of attack. You need to apply and hold a lot of right rudder and it can get tiring. This is much like what happens at takeoff, though you definitely don't want to be going that slow.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Rudder Trim

Post by DHenriques_ »

mikebl wrote:I just purchased the 182 about 2 weeks ago.

I have all my sliders and settings set with what I've seen in the forums. When I take off, the plane immediately starts rolling to the left enough that I need to correct it. So, I've started adjusting my rudder trim a few degs to the right. That helps for a minute or so till it begins rolling again and I make another adjustment with the rudder trim. Now this has been going on since I first purchased the 182. Now it only takes me about 5 minutes to get it somewhat workable. Let me add that the AUTORUDDER is unchecked.
Going through my settings just to make sure I hadn't missed something, I went ahead and checked the AR box to see what might happen. To my surprise, it greatly improved the situation. I still have to trim the rudder about 3 or 4 degs which will hold a heading for a few minutes, till i need to tweak it again.
I don't know if this means anything but my AP is OFF.
Now, I understand that this sim is for people that want and have to fly this plane by the book, but I can't believe that this happens in real life.

Thanks for your time,
Mike
I was going to answer this but it looks like Oracle covered the answer quite well. NEVER attempt basic control of any aircraft using the trim...... especially on takeoff.

Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”