Can’t find installers!

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Can’t find installers!

Post by Oracle427 »

It definitely works in the 172. Will need someone else to chime in on the 182.

I would be shocked to learn that it doesn't if that turns out to be the case.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Lee1963,

The nosewheel on the 182 should indeed visibly turn when taxiing around corners but the point to bear in mind is that it won't turn anything like as much as aircraft where the nosewheel angle is directly linked to the rudder deflection.

That's why I suggested double-checking with differential braking above to make absolutely certain. Ideally, by making a small diameter circle with full rudder deflection and full diff braking.

For what it's worth, this issue isn't commonly reported. It's actually the opposite to the regular one caused by a switch of angular units which Lockheed Martin made with the change from P3Dv4.0 to 4.1. In the case, before we fixed the issue with an update, the nosewheel visibly turned but the aircraft didn't steer properly in response.

Thanks,
Nick

Lee1963
Airman

Post by Lee1963 »

My apologies to everyone. I just ran the sim and used differential braking while taxiing and turning full deflection and the nosewheel does indeed turn, and it stays in that position after stopping then straightens out when moving again. I think I was expecting the nosewheel to turn along with the rudder under any scenario and that is not the case. I learned that there are springs that keep the wheel centered until some pedal input is applied and then there is a delay as well. All is fine now.

Again, I apologize for the thread and for wasting your time and thank you all for the kind help!

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

No not at all, this is enlightening, and the discussion should hopefully help others. The behaviour is very realistic with the exception of the nosewheel centering on its own when the aircraft stops moving.

When one transitions between a Cessna and a Piper, you notice the difference in ground handing immediately. A2A has done an awesome job here because it does act like the real deal.

Lee1963
Airman

Post by Lee1963 »

Yes they do and that’s why I was concerned about the nosewheel not doing what I expected. Turns out my expectations were off base lol!

I intend to purchase the Cherokee 180 sometime in the future and I’m sure it will handle differently and just like the real thing as well.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Good to hear the nose wheel is working as intended Lee1963 - thanks for posting the update. :)
Oracle427 wrote:The behaviour is very realistic with the exception of the nosewheel centering on its own when the aircraft stops moving.
Actually, the 'non-centering' bit is simulated too in the Cessnas. In other words, the nosewheel should be remaining in whatever position it's already in when the aircraft comes to a stop. However, unfortunately the plane only has to creep ahead the tiniest bit for it to re-centre itself immediately, which is the unrealistic bit.

Thanks,
Nick

Lee1963
Airman

Post by Lee1963 »

I did notice that as well. Not a problem for me though.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Nick, I see and that makes sense, given that the brakes don't truly keep the airplane in place. I suspected a simulator limitation at play here knowing A2A. :)

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”