Air speed too fast after takeoff

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Captain Victory
Airman

Air speed too fast after takeoff

Post by Captain Victory »

Greetings!

I have been practicing some patterns again during the past few days and I've had an issue with my air speed being too fast right after taking off. This has been happening for a couple months now (since I installed the plane) but I didn't think much of it for some reason until I watched a video on pattern work in the 182 and was reminded that the Vy is 80 knots.

The only way for me to get 80 knots is to pitch the nose so far up that I'm climbing at around 2000 fpm...and this is with a loaded plane (pilot and 3 passengers all at 180 lbs and both fuel tanks full). At a lighter load, say just the pilot, the plane wants to go almost straight up before I can get 80 knots, otherwise, at a pitch of a bit over the horizon, I'm at about 110-120, just seconds after take off.

I have checked the hangar, no issues. I have the latest updates. I rotate at around 60, maybe a bit more. Trim is set for take off. Giving it a bit more nose down trim before take off helps only a little. Running P3D v4.3.

Thanks!
Jay

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Air speed too fast after takeoff

Post by Oracle427 »

This sounds more or less normal so far based on the limited info.

The 182T climbs like a rocket even with 3 pax in cool weather and requires a pretty steep deck angle to maintain Vy.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Which brings up an interesting question! Does FSX or P3D or even Accusim replicate density altitude? High humidity, hot day = less performance...

If so, were your results gathered while flying on a cool/cold day in low humidity? Try it with the opposite conditions and see what you get. :wink:

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Captain Victory
Airman

Post by Captain Victory »

Well I'm glad to know it's not something I'm doing wrong :-)

I've had this happening mainly in fall like weather (50ish Fahrenheit) with humidity also around 50. Not sure if density altitude is simulated...I think it is on the Connie so maybe on the 182 also. I probably read about it in the manual but don't recall at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”