What is the correct procedure for using "taxi" lights?

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
szln6z
Airman

What is the correct procedure for using "taxi" lights?

Post by szln6z »

Hi,
As the Commanche does not have a taxi light, only left/right landing lights, should the landing lights be used for taxiing when extra forward illumination is required? I'm assuming yes, but just curious what others are doing.
Thanks,
James

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: What is the correct procedure for using "taxi" lights?

Post by AKar »

Yes, they can (and should) be used as taxi light when needed. I don't know if there are any particular "common practices" in using landing lights when they are the only light available. In general, in big plane world, the taxi lights are thrown on whenever starting to taxi, it kind of signals that he's moving, or is about to! I don't think it is a bad practice in small plane world either, unless the lights are overly bright for the purpose.

-Esa

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

There are no real rules to use lights during daytime VFR operation. Well of course you'd have your beacon on before engine start so people would know that there's a prop about to spin but as for taxi or landing lights there are not procedures here. I usually turn the landing lights on when extra visibility is needed. Not only for me but if I feel like I need to be more visible for others. Like when flying through an area where there is a little for gliding for example I'd turn the landing lights on so I can be seen better.

In the sim with the Comanche I usually just use one of the landing lights for taxi. Preferably the left one. I don't know why. I just started doing that as sort of my procedure.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

The original landing lights in the Comanche are high amperage devices. There are two switches in the panel as each switch had an amperage limit below the amperage of the lights. One switch wouldn't do the job within specification limits.

Having said that it was possible to install a "wide angle" light on one side and a "narrow angle" light on the other. Some Comache's were fitted with a taxi light (wide angle) so you could see the ground and area around you and a landing light (narrow angle) for the greatest possible forward range. The switches are even labeled that way on the factory panel (mine are).

When I replaced the landing lights in my Comanche with LED Whelans, I chose both as narrow "long range" beam landing lights rather than a wide angle. It has been my personal experience that landing lights are just about useless from a pilot's perspective while landing at night. By the time you see the asphalt it is too late to make a nice smooth landing. You *need* to use the runway lights. I figured that it might make a difference if they were both long range and bright. As far as I can tell it made no difference, btw.

Taxiing on the ground is also massively frustrating as there are coloured lights EVERYWHERE and everything looks different. Plus, the landing lights (wide or narrow) don't illuminate anywhere near enough, nor do they illuminate in front of you. I rely heavily on the ground controllers at night to steer me about, especially on an unfamiliar air field.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

William Hughes wrote:The original landing lights in the Comanche are high amperage devices. There are two switches in the panel as each switch had an amperage limit below the amperage of the lights. One switch wouldn't do the job within specification limits.
Indeed, landing lights are 15.4 amperes nominal as it turns out. Any much larger currents are most often switched by relays, not by direct switches.
William Hughes wrote:Taxiing on the ground is also massively frustrating as there are coloured lights EVERYWHERE and everything looks different. Plus, the landing lights (wide or narrow) don't illuminate anywhere near enough, nor do they illuminate in front of you.
Yeah, I'm in the club that wants to forbid every single unnecessary, especially flashing, light within the airport perimeter...they are a problem for not only the airplanes. Some folks want to add some beacons to any GSE "for visibility", I'd like to disallow them for distraction. They are horrible at worst.

-Esa

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

During my private pilot training we rarely used taxi/landing lights while taxiing. When we did use them it was for a brief moment or if we were crossing a runway then all lights went on. The last thing we wanted to do was blind another pilot. Just like we didnt want them to blind us. I always had an airport chart with me and knew where i was and were i was going to go before moving. As for landings the landing lights were more to tell other planes where we were. They are only required if flying for hire.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Having spent a higher percentage of my life I care to remember within airport environments, a feeling that has stuck on me would be that I'd highly recommend that especially during times of less than bright blue daylight, the taxi lights are always used by every airplane who's moving. Especially small airplanes, which are small and very quiet outside when taxiing, move like ghosts around the airports, and they often have rather poor quality external lightning to begin with: no wing lights, dim navs and beacons etc. This in particular applies to the larger airports, having constant commercial traffic. Big planes are not that small nor quiet that you wouldn't notice them, but on the other hand, they often taxi very fast, beyond 20 kts. Therefore you are "tuned" to look for them from far distances with a very rapid, constant scan. A small, dark Model Piper Cessna can very easily go undetected.

There are millions of other lights around the airport that I'd get rid of first. Those GSE beacons would get whacked very first! :mrgreen:

-Esa

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

William Hughes wrote:Taxiing on the ground is also massively frustrating as there are coloured lights EVERYWHERE and everything looks different.
Agreed. Can be very tough at times especially at the larger / unfamiliar airports.

@James... I used them. The times the light went off was when it might affect the vision of someone else - think of the "golden rule". You try to protect your night vision - which takes about 20 to 30 minutes to gain a good deal of adaptation. So you want to be considerate of others and protect their night adaptation too.

Normally I leave them on. You want to be seen when moving. Turn them off when at the approach end of the runway and you have someone landing especially when pointed in their direction. I don't want my light on if there's a guy ahead of me taxiing, and he's about to make his turn from the main taxiway toward the hold short lines. Also off when making that 90° swing into parking to keep from blinding the line guy (as long as I won't have a problem seeing what I am doing). Think about what it is like with someone driving a car at night. Opposing lanes with a median, some distance back it isn't a big problem. Have someone pull into your driveway and you standing at the garage... well... sometimes I want to shout, "ever hear of parking lights?".
n421nj wrote:As for landings the landing lights were more to tell other planes where we were. They are only required if flying for hire.
Actually, the reg states, "If the aircraft is operated for hire." Imo, a FSDO will likely say the landing light is required when renting etc.

If the airplane has a landing light installed, it needs to be functioning or 91.213(d) (Inoperative instruments and equipment) needs to be complied with. And that will require an "authorized" person to comply with the reg.

Landing without a landing light at night is not easy - why it's practiced. Operating without runway lights and a landing light is very tough. So you takeoff without a landing light, you violate the principle of "having an out".

Something else to consider, what happens if there is an "incident or accident"? You prang your landing gear to the extent you have to file an accident report. I cannot imagine either the FAA and/or the NTSB not taking a dim view of operating without a landing light. I take the view that my licenses aren't up for being suspended etc. just because I don't want to be hassled to delay or postpone the flight - all because I didn't want to deal with a piece of inoperative equipment.

-Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

szln6z
Airman

Post by szln6z »

Good discussion. Thanks all.
James

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”