Getting the saitek flight gauges working on the 250

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
[email protected]
Airman Basic

Getting the saitek flight gauges working on the 250

Post by [email protected] »

Hello,
I have purchased the saitek flight gauges and the software Garmin G5 HSI gauge by FSX_Times_Gauges
FSX_Times_Gauges\GENERIC_PFD_SINGLE_R2
I am also using the Garmin GTN750. When I plot a course on the GTN 750 the Auto pilot will follow the course, however the HSI gauge does not align correctly with the course from the GTN.

Talking to the designer he said I should make sure that the a2a piper comanche comes with the NAV/GPS switching function or not. If it does, how to activate it via keyboard or command.

I love the A2A comanche 250 as I have a real one and would like to match it as close to mine as possible.

Thank you for the help
Tim

CptLemons
Airman

Re: Getting the saitek flight gauges working on the 250

Post by CptLemons »

The Comanche 250 has a Nav/GPS switch on the far left side of the cockpit. With no GPS installed on the Comanche, the switch shows NAV and inop as there is no GPS to slave to.

If you use the shift+3 menu and install the cockpit mounted GPS, the switch then gives the GPS option.

Now, I'm not at all sure how this works with 3rd party GPS units.

However, that being said you should still be able to set a keyboard binding to the NAV/GPS switch, I'm sure I've done this already and I know there is a default mapping for it but not sure what that is, sorry.

[email protected]
Airman Basic

Thank you
I have tried the shift3 menu and see the gps mounted in the panel, hover the “in op” label is still there.
Is the “in op” label supposed to be removed if it is working correctly?

Also in my testing I noticed that the hsi built in the dashboard also does not point to the correct course, just as the Saitek gages do.

Has anyone been able to get the HSI working correctly with any gps on the a2a comanche.

Thanks

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Tim,

Afraid I can't speak for the third-party "FSX_Times_Gauges" HSI you speak of, but when the GTN 750 is installed, switching between NAV and GPS mode is accomplished using the "CDI" icon on the GTN itself, not the standalone switch on the panel which is why it's labelled "inop."

When the GTN is in MAP mode, you should see this CDI icon at the bottom of there screen, and touching it will switch between NAV and VLOC mode.

Thanks,
Nick

[email protected]
Airman Basic

I have disabled the external gauges am am now trying to get the HSI gauge working that is built into the a2a comanche panel.

On the GTN 750 I can switch between gps and vloc by clicking the CDI icon within the GTN 750, however when I select direct to and select an airport on the GTN so I have a course with a heading, and click the CDI, there is no change with the needles on the HSI

I would think that as I toggle between VLoc and gps the HSI needle would switch to the corispondi g heading, but it doesn’t. I can change the needle by adjusting the course dial but that is the only way.

Am I missing something, I thought it should work the same as it does in my plane, but maybe I have something else installed.

Your help is appreciated

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Tim,

Not sure which GTN product you have installed (the RealityXP or Fight1 version) but both have an "auto course" option within their configuration menus. This option isn't enabled by default because if using the Century NSD-360A HSI simulated, you'd need to use the course selector knob to reset the CDI manually for new waypoints or flight plan legs.

However, if you wish to have the CDI automatically rotate itself to the course of the next waypoint, please check the configuration menu for your GTN.

Thanks,
Nick

[email protected]
Airman Basic

Nick,
I am using the flight one version.
I went into the config of the GTN 750
System => Setup
Under CDI / ILS CDI Capture it is and was set to Auto Switch, is that the correct spot.

But the CDI does not automatically rotate, not even when I first set a point in the gps.
If I push the direct to button and pick an airport then activate the CDI does not point to the new waypoint. It functions fine if I set it manually.

Thanks again for the help!
Tim

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Tim,

For the Flight1 GTN, the option you need isn't in the GPS menu within the sim, but rather in the "F1GTNConfigP3D" tool available from the Windows Start Menu. The "Auto CRS" option should be set to "Yes" for GTN750 unit 1.

Thanks,
Nick

[email protected]
Airman Basic

Yes that fixed it... thank you,

If others have this problem to when you go into the configuration tool you have to scroll down to find the auto cars.

Thanks again.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Good stuff Tim - you're welcome. :)

Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”