Rudder Trim in Comanche 250

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
TonyW
Airman First Class

Rudder Trim in Comanche 250

Post by TonyW »

Hi,

Regarding the rudder trim on the Comanche I assume this is to relieve foot pressure on the rudder pedals? If so how do the plus or minus values relate to left and right rudder pedals? I've noticed when turning (I have auto rudder switched off) that the ball in the slip indicator hardly moves or doesn't move at all, so I can generally turn without using the rudder - is this the correct behaviour of the Aircraft? However when taxiing the ball swings quite a lot when turning.

I've had a failure yesterday when flying and I'll post about this after I've done some tests, but I suspect my problem might be the rudder, or my lack of understanding how to use it correctly. I find that normally I need some right rudder when on the T/O roll and need to maintain it on the climb but once the aircraft has gathered speed I can fly straight and level with the rudder.

I know from real life lessons in a Cessna 150 (quite a long time ago) that the aircraft has a tenancy to yaw as a result of prop-wash - I assume that this is also the case in any single engine aircraft?

Regards,

Tony

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Rudder Trim in Comanche 250

Post by ratty »

TonyW wrote: I assume that this is also the case in any single engine aircraft?

Regards,

Tony
Pretty much anything with propellers, I think, (the wartime twin-engined P-38 had propellers that rotated in opposite directions to counteract this tendency) and made even more complicated by the presence of a tailwheel.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”