ILS tracking only on VOR 2?

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
KarelPatch
Airman

ILS tracking only on VOR 2?

Post by KarelPatch »

I’m so ashamed to ask this question, but I’ve been looking everywhere and I can’t find an explanation:

Today I wanted to try an ILS approach. I tuned Nav1 to the ILS frequency and setup the right course and heading but nothing happened. Then I tried the same with nav2 and the VOR 2 did show me the right indications. Isn’t the HSI also able to indicate ILS approaches?
Thanks a lot!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: ILS tracking only on VOR 2?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello,

The HSI should indeed be capable of showing ILS guidance from any valid frequency which you've tuned into NAV1. If it's not, perhaps the first thing for us to verify is whether you're using the default radios or any third party GPS products?

If you're using the default option and have the GNS 400 GPS active, make sure the GPS/NAV switch is in the 'NAV' position. If the HSI itself is not working (it'll be showing a red HDG flag as well as a NAV flag), the culprit is likely the circuit breaker which is over near the primer control.

Thanks,
Nick

KarelPatch
Airman

Post by KarelPatch »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hello,

The HSI should indeed be capable of showing ILS guidance from any valid frequency which you've tuned into NAV1. If it's not, perhaps the first thing for us to verify is whether you're using the default radios or any third party GPS products?

If you're using the default option and have the GNS 400 GPS active, make sure the GPS/NAV switch is in the 'NAV' position. If the HSI itself is not working (it'll be showing a red HDG flag as well as a NAV flag), the culprit is likely the circuit breaker which is over near the primer control.

Thanks,
Nick
That’s a great start, Nick. I saved my flight approach for replays, so I will make sure to check this tomorrow, first thing in the morning.

KarelPatch
Airman

Post by KarelPatch »

Gosh, shame on me! It was set on GPS!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hey, no problem. You're definitely not the first to make this mistake, and I'm sure you won't be the last. :wink:

Thanks,
Nick

KarelPatch
Airman

Post by KarelPatch »

Well, you make it once and then you’ll never get caught again ;)

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”