Best Altitude for Flying A Long Way - Comanche

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
Nicholas06
Airman Basic

Best Altitude for Flying A Long Way - Comanche

Post by Nicholas06 »

What is the best altitude for flying maximum range on a full fuel load?

(I tried flying at 19000 feet and the screen blanked out. Is this because of lack of oxygen?) ( Is there anything that can be done about this?) Is there oxygen simmed?

I would like to do a flight of 1000 miles without replenishing fuel, I understand the higher you fly, the quicker you travel and also the less fuel you use per mile, however I believe Hypoxia is modelled.

Is this right?

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Best Altitude for Flying A Long Way - Comanche

Post by AKar »

It is rather complicated, actually. You may want to refer into my post here for the very basics. Generally speaking, you want to fly reasonably high for fuel economy, but your speed will suffer drastically if you're climbing excessively high.

Additional oxygen is not currently available on A2A GA airplanes. This limits you to, actually fairly reasonable maximum altitude of around 12000 ft or thereabouts. You'll get very good range at that altitude and won't get overly slow.

-Esa

Nicholas06
Airman Basic

Post by Nicholas06 »

Thank you. (Very helpful.)

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

For flying longer distances I tend to cruise around 13,000 feet at this level I experienced no issues with lack of oxygen. I also tried at 15k but after a while symptoms of hypoxia started to kick in.
Don’t forget that wind direction will also play a part, particularly if you are using real world weather. No point in cruising at 13k with a 40 knot head-wind when at lower levels there may be little head-wind or even a tail wind.

agathorn
Airman First Class

Post by agathorn »

Blitzer wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 05:36 For flying longer distances I tend to cruise around 13,000 feet at this level I experienced no issues with lack of oxygen. I also tried at 15k but after a while symptoms of hypoxia started to kick in.
Don’t forget that wind direction will also play a part, particularly if you are using real world weather. No point in cruising at 13k with a 40 knot head-wind when at lower levels there may be little head-wind or even a tail wind.
What's the best way to know the winds at different altitudes for flight planning?

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Try windy.com and weather.gov (Winds Aloft), it's what I use when flight planning.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

agathorn wrote: 17 Aug 2023, 20:06 What's the best way to know the winds at different altitudes for flight planning?
I use Skyvector.com for initial flight planning and wind forecast information. You can select "Show Wind Barbs" in the "Layers" menu that will show the winds at your flight planned altitude.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Yeah Rob, forgot to list Sky Vector, actually use that one quite a bit. Also, Airnav.com. Great for airport information, charts, metars, fuel availability and prices, for destination airports. There are a number of good sites out there.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

agathorn
Airman First Class

Post by agathorn »

Thanks I'll check those out. Currently been using mostly Navigraph since it has worldwide coverage.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”