Unable to establish a glidescope

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
MickB
Airman First Class

Unable to establish a glidescope

Post by MickB »

When flying the FSX basic C172 and establishing a glidescope using ILS, I just needed to press apphold (AP is on) on the radio stack and apart from adjusting the power it slides nicely to the runway. Great help when visibilty is bad.

Flying the Commanche 250 things ain't that simple. No matter what I try after setting the ILS in the NAV1 apart from seeing needles move I cannot get it to establish the glidescope.
I'd appreciate any advice that would help please.

I have just the basic GPS GNS400 installed.

Regards
Michael.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: Unable to establish a glidescope

Post by gulredrel »

Comanche autopilot is not capable of holding glideslope.
You should read the S-TEC autopilot manual to see, how it works.

This tutorial might also help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-96FkQ8LP50
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

MickB wrote:When flying the FSX basic C172 and establishing a glidescope using ILS, I just needed to press apphold (AP is on) on the radio stack and apart from adjusting the power it slides nicely to the runway. Great help when visibilty is bad.

Flying the Commanche 250 things ain't that simple. No matter what I try after setting the ILS in the NAV1 apart from seeing needles move I cannot get it to establish the glidescope.
I'd appreciate any advice that would help please.

I have just the basic GPS GNS400 installed.
Well, it's pretty simple to explain: the S-TEC 30 Autopilot, as it it used on our Comanche, is not capable of following a glideslope. You can however at least follow the Localizer and adjust the Glide with Vertical Speed. Nevertheless it is by far more recommended to train your skills and fly the ILS by hand.... 8) :lol:
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

And don't use the stick (or yoke) to adjust your rate of descent. Trim the aircraft and adjust your descent with the throttle, it works fine.

MickB
Airman First Class

Post by MickB »

Many thanks for your replies. I kinda half expected that this was the case. :cry:

I have flown many hours with other aircraft and am fully aware of how to do approach and landing without a glidescope and I must say the Commanche is very acommodating in this respect. I will practice the dark art of nav1 and 2 a little more. :P

Thanks again.

Michael.

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

glidesLope

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”