Question on Wear and Tear

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
TonyW
Airman First Class

Question on Wear and Tear

Post by TonyW »

Hi,

I've clocked up 25 hours on my current save of the Piper Comanche. After each flight I check with the workshop for any problems and usually get "Excellent shape" or "Like new". On my last "visit" I was told that there was some wear (orange warning, not red) on the left flap. I am very very careful never to operate the flaps above the correct operating speeds so why would the flap mechanism be wearing, or is this just random?

I'm also careful to lean the engine but sometimes get fouled spark plugs, although so far all it takes is to run the engine at full power for a few seconds to clear them.

Regards,

Tony

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Question on Wear and Tear

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Tony,

You better service this flap in the hangar, in order to avoid complete failure during flight. Not a very pleasant experience.
I had a 'yellow' flap on my C172, and I kept flying it, until it failed in flight and in bad weather. You can check here more of that story. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I guess it is like on the real things: stuff tends to wear and break no matter how well you attempt to treat it. :)

-Esa

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

Don't forget to lean the mixture a little bit while warming the engine on the ground and during taxi. I can't remember the last time I had fouled spark plugs (one time with Accusim, the same times like in real life)

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi again,

I forgot in my previous post to mention, that A2A made the wear and tear in their models to happen a bit more frequently, than in real world. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

TonyW
Airman First Class

Post by TonyW »

Hi,

Thanks for the helpful replies. That's what I like about the A2A Comanche - you can't just jump in and fly. On one occasion I decided to skip the walk-around as I was short on time. But as I accelerated down the runway the airspeed wasn't increasing so I managed to bring the aircraft to a stop before running out of runway. I realised immediately what the problem was - pitot cover left on as a consequence of skipping the walk-around. So a lesson learned without any harm being done!

Tony

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”