[RESOLVED] Sound issues in FSX SE

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

[RESOLVED] Sound issues in FSX SE

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi guys,

I just did a complete new install of FSX Steam Edition including a new install of all my Accusim planes. Everything seemed to work fine but there's a sound issue. If I'm at full throttle it doesn't really matter if I have the headphones in the Cockpit turned on or not there is no difference in the sound. This goes for all my Accusim planes.

This is under Windows 10 64bit with realtek HD Audio. I didn't have this Problem on my old install without realtek HD Audio.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks and happy flying
Last edited by Piper_EEWL on 28 Feb 2018, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Sound issues in FSX SE

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Sebastian,

Just to clarify, do you mean that it's only at full throttle that the headphones aren't having any effect in the VC? Do they attenuate the sounds normally otherwise? For what it's worth, there was a topic discussing that the headphones in the Comanche didn't seem to be as effective as those in the Cessnas.

Cheers,
Nick

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the link. I’ll check it out later and see if it is the same on my FSX SE install. It just seems different from my FSX boxed install that I moved away from.

Happy flying

PS: It’s not only the Comanche where I noticed it. Also in the civilian P-51 I had the feeling the headset doesn’t have any effect.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok quick update:

I did some testing and indeed in the C172 the "headset" seems to have the most impact on the sound. In the Comanche and the C182 not so much at full throttle. It sounds pretty similar to what is shown in the YouTube video in the thread you linked. I've never noticed that before on my old computer/install :?

With the T-6 for example I literally hear no difference at takeoff power between headset and no headset. Is that normal? If not I think there's something wrong with my setup.

Any ideas?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the additional info. In my (P3D v4) installation of the T-6 the headset definitely has a pronounced effect at take-off power. However, I remembered something else which may explain this. If you've adjusted the volume slider in the shift 3 menu to be significantly less than maximum (say 50%) the headset will no longer have much or any effect, so this may be worth checking.

If this doesn't help, could you also check what level you have your Windows volume mixer set at for the relevant playback device?

Thanks,
Nick

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

The volume slider in my shift+3 menu is at 100%. My Windows overall sound level is at 28% if I'm using my real life headphones (otherwise I'd probably be death by know). it is higher if I'm using my speakers (which doesn't go well with the wife :wink: )

This happens no matter if I set FSX sounds to "default primary device" or "Speaker (realtek HD audio)". I never had this problem before. But on my old install I didn't use "Realtek HD audio" either. Might that be the culprit? Any settings there that might be off?

Thanks

PS: When I click on the headphone jack in the cockpit for a second it sounds like the sound is muffled and then it returns to the "no headset" sounds. The virtual headset stays plugged in though (I can still see the cable if you know what I mean).

PPS: More testing revealed that the Spitfire and the P-51D have the same issue as the T-6 and the Comanche.

btw. I did run the latest updater. So I don't think thats it.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I did some tests in P3D with the settings you describe and can't reproduce the issue at present Sebastian. Afraid I'm not able to test in FSX-SE at the mo', but may be able to do so soon.
Piper_EEWL wrote:PS: When I click on the headphone jack in the cockpit for a second it sounds like the sound is muffled and then it returns to the "no headset" sounds. The virtual headset stays plugged in though (I can still see the cable if you know what I mean).
Hmm - amy chance there's a control conflict at work here, and you've got something assigned to the headphones in the input configurator?

Thanks,
Nick

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I didn’t assign anything to the headphones in the input configurator myself but I’ll check later just to make sure.

As I said this is a completely new install of Windows 10 64Bit and FSX SE. The only thing I copied from my old system are the aircraft.cfg entries for the repaints and the dat files so I wouldn’t loose my hours and damage history.

Since more than one of my A2A aircraft seem to be affected I’m guessing it might be something in the sound settings of Windows itself? I don’t have any experience with Realtek HD Audio but I checked and Windows says the drivers are up to date. Could there be something wrong with the Realtek install?

Thanks for all the effort so far!!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I think the Realtek audio setup should be pretty straightforward Sebastian. Provided you can actually hear the internal Accu-Sim engine sounds, I don't think there's any setting which could override the internal Accu-Sim volume control/headphone simulation, but I might be wrong.

For reference, here's a quick sound recording I made in the P3D T-6: take-off power with canopy open and 5 secs with simulated helmet on then 5 within helmet off and repeat.

The only way I'm able to reproduce this issue so far is by reducing the volume slider in the shift 3 menu to 50% or less. :?

Cheers,
Nick

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Well I hear the sounds in the cockpit alright. Just that there's no difference between headset and no headset.

Thanks for doing that recording. I can clearly hear a difference between when you have the headset on and off.
I just checked my install and it definitely sounds different. As I explained before it sounds like my headset gets plugged out again only that it doesn't.

I also checked the input configurator and I don't have anything assigned to the headset.

Do you think it could have been the way I installed the planes? I installed the Comanche first (including the latest updater) to see if my installation was running correctly (unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the headset sound). Then I installed all my other Accusim planes and the I ran the updater last. It found all the planes and updated them :?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

you might want to check your sound settings in windows for the realtek device in case it has any auto levelling turned on?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hey guys,

good news. The issue is fixed!

In the properties of the Realtek HD Audio there are multiple sound effects to choose from of which none was active. But you additionally have the option to check "deactivate all sound effects" :roll: . That seems to do the trick. Now the headset has the effect that I'm used to. :D

Thanks Nick and Lewis for the support!

Happy flying

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: [RESOLVED] Sound issues in FSX SE

Post by Nick - A2A »

That's great - thanks for letting us know Sebastian. One to try and remember for future reference... :wink:

Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Oh that's good to hear, I thought it might be auto levelling or some sound effect in use.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

When I started troubleshooting I thought it might be the settings in Realtek HD aufio too. But since none of the sound effects was ticked active I didn’t waste another thought to this. Then I saw the box that said “deactivate all sound effects” and checke it and now it’s all good.

Thanks again and happy flying!

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”