MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Nice Review on the T6 just out.

Post by n421nj »

Froogle always does nice work.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

TomMarius
Airman Basic

Post by TomMarius »

It was uncanny - I had only recently started flying the T6 again and then this review came out. Nice video. Meigs Field looks great.

Just want to say thank you to the A2A team as well. Froogle is right when he says this is an absolute classic add on, and one of the best. I have the C172, Spit, P51 and Cherokee but have the most hours on this plane. I bought XPlane recently and am excited where that sim will go in the future, but had to come back to FSX because my A2A aircraft feel alive.

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

TomMarius wrote:It was uncanny - I had only recently started flying the T6 again and then this review came out. Nice video. Meigs Field looks great.

Just want to say thank you to the A2A team as well. Froogle is right when he says this is an absolute classic add on, and one of the best. I have the C172, Spit, P51 and Cherokee but have the most hours on this plane. I bought XPlane recently and am excited where that sim will go in the future, but had to come back to FSX because my A2A aircraft feel alive.
You should have a look at this one, then :)
I always enjoy watching Froogle's videos, but Rich is really knowledgeable - an actual pilot by the way, and this video makes you appreciate the T-6 even more.
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Redglyph wrote:
TomMarius wrote:It was uncanny - I had only recently started flying the T6 again and then this review came out. Nice video. Meigs Field looks great.

I always enjoy watching Froogle's videos, but Rich is really knowledgeable - an actual pilot by the way, and this video makes you appreciate the T-6 even more.
Very nice review. I do have one nitpick however concerning takeoff technique.
In any tail wheel airplane, and especially in one like the T6, you don't want to allow rotation in the 3 point attitude. This will always result in early rotation slightly before the aircraft has reached its natural rotation point for its gross weight on the takeoff. VERY BAD JUJU !!!!!
Even in the Bearcat which has a VERY close prop tip to ground clearance, you need to allow the tail wheel to "fly up" naturally to a position slightly above the ground. This avoids that early rotation where the combination of low speed (near stall), high angle of attack, and high power can be and usually is extremely dangerous. In a Mustang this will kill you.
The main point I'm making here is that once you apply power to these airplanes and your initial yaw correction if any has been applied and the aircraft has stabilized in the takeoff run, the proper technique is to relax on the back pressure and just allow that tail to come on up just enough to prevent that early rotation that will always be the result of maintaining a fairly strong back pressure on the stick.
Just a small notation on this. Overall this review was excellent. He is very knowledgeable and fair in his assessment.
I like his style and it's fairly evident that he enjoys the T6 and the work that went into it.
Dudley Henriques

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Redglyph wrote:

Very nice review. I do have one nitpick however concerning takeoff technique.
In any tail wheel airplane, and especially in one like the T6, you don't want to allow rotation in the 3 point attitude. This will always result in early rotation slightly before the aircraft has reached its natural rotation point for its gross weight on the takeoff. VERY BAD JUJU !!!!!
Even in the Bearcat which has a VERY close prop tip to ground clearance, you need to allow the tail wheel to "fly up" naturally to a position slightly above the ground. This avoids that early rotation where the combination of low speed (near stall), high angle of attack, and high power can be and usually is extremely dangerous. In a Mustang this will kill you.
The main point I'm making here is that once you apply power to these airplanes and your initial yaw correction if any has been applied and the aircraft has stabilized in the takeoff run, the proper technique is to relax on the back pressure and just allow that tail to come on up just enough to prevent that early rotation that will always be the result of maintaining a fairly strong back pressure on the stick.
Just a small notation on this. Overall this review was excellent. He is very knowledgeable and fair in his assessment.
I like his style and it's fairly evident that he enjoys the T6 and the work that went into it.
Dudley Henriques

Yes, I love Froogle, but I cringed at his holding the stick forward "to unlock it" during taxiiing and takeoff. This is, I'm sure, due to misunderstanding the tailwheel, thinking it locks completely when the stick is back.

As far as I've learned from the manual, Dudley's essays, and looking at T6-pilots online (and during my 45 minute trip in one last fall), the stick needs to be held back during the first part of the ground roll to keep the tail firmly on the wheel to allow for correction of yaw. When the aircraft has enough speed to steer with the rudder one can raise the tail into the airflow and take off in a more or less level attitude.
This works for me all the time in the Accusim T6, and so does the exact reverse during landing (wheel-landing that is). Never have I had a groundloop, simply because I'm aware of the physics behind the aircrafts behaviour.

I also thought the runup should have been saved as the last before entering the runway (or close to it). All kinds of things can happen during taxi - nicks in the propeller, oil leaks, control surface problems that happened during taxi, and most of all: fouled plugs. I always save this as the last thing I do before takeoff.

But, again, love Froogle and his honest and "human" approach to this. (I'm more of an inhuman ultra-nerd, and am perhaps boring for the YouTube audience)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:Very nice review. I do have one nitpick however concerning takeoff technique.
Dudley Henriques
Very pertinent remark! I share the same concern about his take-off attitude, to be honest I watched this long ago and had forgotten about that part. A bit unexpected from Rich but I suppose everyone makes mistakes... he should have watched the US Navy's training videos ;)
Medtner wrote:Yes, I love Froogle, but I cringed at his holding the stick forward "to unlock it" during taxiiing and takeoff. This is, I'm sure, due to misunderstanding the tailwheel, thinking it locks completely when the stick is back.
Haha, yes, he seemed to have some problems with taxiing, to his credit he admitted as much. Perhaps he did that to zigzag, but it seems feasible without unlocking the tailwheel - at least on A2A's implementation, sometimes they make things easier for the pilot, like in their Spitfire.
I do enjoy his videos, he's an awfully busy man, passionate enough to find the time to share his experience with us and we can't expect him to be mastering every single aircraft :)
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Redglyph wrote:
Haha, yes, he seemed to have some problems with taxiing, to his credit he admitted as much. Perhaps he did that to zigzag, but it seems feasible without unlocking the tailwheel - at least on A2A's implementation, sometimes they make things easier for the pilot, like in their Spitfire.
I do enjoy his videos, he's an awfully busy man, passionate enough to find the time to share his experience with us and we can't expect him to be mastering every single aircraft :)
And this is why I love him - he covers a huge amount of things and surely can't be proficient in all aspects. I learn much from him because of this. The humanity of being good with the T-6, but still doing mistakes is something we all can learn much from.

I, for one, haven't the first clue on how to program an FMC in a Boeing. He does, and I learn from him. Now where is the Accusim Boeing 737?
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Medtner wrote:
Redglyph wrote:
And this is why I love him - he covers a huge amount of things and surely can't be proficient in all aspects. I learn much from him because of this. The humanity of being good with the T-6, but still doing mistakes is something we all can learn much from.

I, for one, haven't the first clue on how to program an FMC in a Boeing. He does, and I learn from him. Now where is the Accusim Boeing 737?
Froogle also has nice videos on the Dash 8 that are really helpful, he and some others really make it a little easier for us, that's sure.

You should see some other videos from the other person above, flightsim481 pseudo in Youtube, he has some really in-depth reviews of FMC's, there's also something to grab there. He's also mentioning an interesting book (the Cockpit companion, Leading Edge Publishing), but that's one step further. It's clearly not superficial knowledge, I suppose it requires quite an amount of hours / days / weeks of reading and experimenting to get to this level of knowledge, but then I understand he's a former airline pilot, perhaps not all of us want to go that far.
Thankfully for the usual trip, and for simmers, it's easier though, even if that's more complex than the procedures for GA aircraft.

Bah, there are already good 737s out there, recent ones by PMDG for example, or 320s with even more automation from FSLabs, not sure it's the favourite playground of A2A anyway. Perhaps a classic like IXEG's but for FSX/P3D? That's be fun. But the Connie and the B377 are great, would a 737 be more interesting? Very subjective and personal of course. Perhaps, for more variety.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”