Pensacola SNJ-5 BuNo.91066 (WIP)

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Pensacola SNJ-5 BuNo.91066 (WIP)

Post by Bomber_12th »

For those who may not know the back-story of this paint, member NAA551WB posted in the repaint request thread mentioning that his grandfather flew Navy SNJ's at Pensacola, FL in 1950 and '51, and through his grandfather's logbook, one of these was SNJ-5 BuNo.91066, which just happens to still survive today, stored pending restoration at Tri-State Aviation in Wahpeton, ND. The request was to depict this aircraft in its original markings from 1950/51, and as if it has been restored and flying today.

Utilizing a number of period photos of Pensacola SNJ's from this specific time period, as well as the specifications for markings at that time, I put the scheme together. The only detail not known is what the aircraft's original individual identification number was, as would have been assigned and applied to the aircraft at Pensacola. These numbers were not based on the BuNo's, and thus choosing a number other than one in the BuNo would likely be closer to accurate. Based on the photos I have, there are SNJ's at this time with single and double digit ID numbers from 1 to the 40's. I ended up deciding to choose 28, as I thought it would look nice, I have photos showing exactly what those stencils looked like, I haven't found any photos of that particular example, and it is my current age.

The '2' stencil looks a bit funky, but it is accurate to the stencil used at Pensacola on these aircraft - the reason for its look/design was because the same stencil was used, flipped around, for applying the number 5 as well. Also the various off-center spaces in the stencils are accurate to what was used on these aircraft at Pensacola at this specific time.

The positioning of the markings on the fuselage, although still quite specific, did move around a bit through various applications (from one SNJ to the next), so there is no real standard there - you can only work to get close enough to any particular reference. Even the stars & bars varied a bit from one to another at this time. For the positioning of the stars & bars on the wings, I actually have a photo showing a set of preserved wings from a Pensacola SNJ, from the early 50's, and so I was able to match both the size and positioning of the stars & bars (and how they are positioned differently between the top left wing and bottom right wing). I'm not entirely certain on the exact positioning of the markings on the bottom of the wing (other than the stars & bars), but I think it is at least very close.

NAA551WB, I know part of the request you had made was to apply the N-number N813WS below the horizontal stabilizers, however I have instead applied the aircraft's real N-number, N8005V. If, however, you still want N813WS on it instead, let me know (I'd also like to know the story behind it).

Expert opinions very much appreciated (requested)! Remember, it is intended to represent the real-world aircraft post-restoration, but with the markings all accurate to original specifications. At this time, I'm still working on the cockpit gauge textures for this one specifically (Navy gauges with Munsell green details on the faces). The aircraft remained a straight SNJ-5, so it never had a tailhook added.

John Terrell

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Re: Pensacola SNJ-5 BuNo.91066 (WIP)

Post by Tailspin45 »

You might check with the Naval Aviation Museum, it's not impossible that they'd have a photo of the aircraft.

[email protected]

I contacted them recently regarding the 7055K repaint and they responded the next business day.

Great looking skin!
Blue skies and tailwinds

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

WOW! That is one crisp-looking bird. Very nice!
Cheers!/Andreas

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Yea, something about this one I really love.

MustangL2W
Airman

Post by MustangL2W »

I agree...That is a Terrific looking SNJ. Love everything about the repaint and the story behind it! Wouldn't it be something if that is the way it would be restored somewhere down the road??

NL451MG
Senior Airman

Post by NL451MG »

That is a really nice looking bird. Can't wait to add it to my rapidly growing hangar.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice job and great presentation with the super sharp shots as always

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

NAA551WB
Senior Airman

Post by NAA551WB »

Absolutely incredible!! The reason for the N number change is that 813 signifies my wife and I's anniversary of 8-13. Also 8+13 is 21 which is my lucky number. The number 8 also signifies the day of the month our son Freddy was born 6-8-10 and if you multiply the 13 by 2 you get the number 26 which is our second son's Jacks birthday 11-26. The S and the B in N813SB is for my wife and I's name, Summer and Bill. The ID number of 28 also works great since my wife's birthday is on 8-28. If I owned an SNJ this is exactly how I would have it, with the colors my Grandpa flew her in and also my families symbolism on it. I cannot begin to say how thankful I am that Bomber took this on and has exceeded my expectations!

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

Hi John.

This WIP looks outstanding. Are we getting close to release?

Thanks

--WH

NAA551WB
Senior Airman

Post by NAA551WB »

The anticipation is killing me!! I don't want to fly any other skin until this one lol!

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Sorry for the wait, guys! Here is the completed repaint:

Requested/personalized N813SB reg (for Bill): https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/16 ... 852/1d3fd7
Real life N8005V reg (keeping with the restoration): https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/55 ... 014/892a0b

I have a couple other Pensacola examples with the same layout of markings - another silver one and a yellow one - both being done to original period photos of those specific examples from the early 50's. Those will be uploaded to the library sites when completed.
John Terrell

NAA551WB
Senior Airman

Post by NAA551WB »

Absolutely unreal!! Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!!!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

awesome, grabbing now, thanks! 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Yep, what he said ^! Swooping them up know.

Spamcan51
Airman First Class

Post by Spamcan51 »

I have a request for a more colorful pensecola snj-4

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”