Flying the Texan in poor weather

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

To check out the new rain effects in P3D i did a Texan ride with the standard bad weather setting of P3D (V4.3). Shortly after takeoff i ve noticed a significant loss of power but managed an landing outside the airfield. The Hangar didn‘t show any damage on the Engine. Second flight, same result but a few minutes later...

I ve done hundred of flights (most of the time in good weather) but never faced these problems. Any suggestions what could cause this behavior?

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Flying the Texan in poor weather

Post by Tomas Linnet »

sounds like carb ice. Did you apply the carb heat?
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

Thanks for the idea, carb heat wasn´t on my mind. I will give it a try, but as the rpm also drops, i am almost sure it isn´t an icing issue.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Carb icing will lead to an RPM drop when the engine has lost a significant amount of power and the prop has reached the high rpm limit stop.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

I set custom weather in ASP4, without worrying to much about temp and dew point and I had same issue when I started testing rain effect. Carb icing is the issue here almost certainly. You can test for this, as I did, by selecting the carb heat and then waiting for that manifold pressure to start rising again.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

The Comanche is especially sensitive to carb icing, and A2A modeled this characteristic with a vengeance. I remember YouTube video of a flight through moisture-filled clouds somewhere in the Eastern USA, right after the A2A Comanche came out. Our intrepid A2A Comanche pilot took off and climbed through some cloud, failing to notice a gradual loss of manifold pressure. Eventually he went past the point of no return, where the engine actually quits, and there's not enough heat to get it going again. He was lucky enough to find a runway dead ahead as he popped out of the clouds. Airplane had to be towed into a hangar and the carb inlet heated with a heat gun. Better than a fiery crash.

Looks like the Six is almost as bad. The Six teaches you to land. The Comanche teaches you to check MP whenever you even see a cloud.

Seeya
ATB

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

Carb heat solved the problem, thanks everyone!

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”