T-6 Aircraft Configurator - access error on GTN650 install

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Flightfreak
Airman

T-6 Aircraft Configurator - access error on GTN650 install

Post by Flightfreak »

When I try to install the GTN to my T-6 I get the error

"Access to the path 'C:/Users/x/Documents/Prepar3D v4 addons/A2A/SimObjects/Airplanes/A2A_T6_Texan/Panel/panel.cfg' is denied"

I have already tried running as administrator. I believe it is another one of the myriad of permissions problems caused by Windows 10. I tried everything I could to make the Prepar3D v4 Addons folder not read-only and taking ownership of panel.cfg but nothing works.

If someone gives me the code inserted into panel.cfg for the GTN650 configuration I could put it in manually. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: T-6 Aircraft Configurator - access error on GTN650 insta

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

what happens when you select run as admin?

Also where have you installed the aircraft, is it to the default my docs location for P3D Add-ons?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Just for reference, windows folder permissions hasn't changed too much over the years, its still the same basic use to give your user account full permissions;

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ow ... indows-10/

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

Flightfreak
Airman

Post by Flightfreak »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello,

what happens when you select run as admin?

Also where have you installed the aircraft, is it to the default my docs location for P3D Add-ons?

thanks,
Lewis
I run as administrator every time and I get this same error. The aircraft is installed to the default Prepar3D v4 Addons folder. For some reason this folder is stuck on read-only (both unchecking it and taking ownership of it does not do anything, it always reverts to read only) which I think may have to do with the problem.

Flightfreak
Airman

Post by Flightfreak »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Just for reference, windows folder permissions hasn't changed too much over the years, its still the same basic use to give your user account full permissions;

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ow ... indows-10/

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
I followed this to the letter and I am still getting the same error. Is it possible you could post the code that is added to panel.cfg by the configurator, and I can just paste it in manually?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Flightfreak wrote:Is it possible you could post the code that is added to panel.cfg by the configurator, and I can just paste it in manually?
You should just be able to manually swap around panel.cfg files. If you make a copy of the "panel_F1_650.cfg" file and rename it to just "panel.cfg" to replace the existing version, it should achieve what you're after.

However, if you have an outstanding issue with write permissions to other folders in the "Documents" directory, it's likely you'll encounter problems with the Accu-Sim simulation.

Thanks,
Nick

Flightfreak
Airman

Post by Flightfreak »

Nick - A2A wrote:
Flightfreak wrote:Is it possible you could post the code that is added to panel.cfg by the configurator, and I can just paste it in manually?
You should just be able to manually swap around panel.cfg files. If you make a copy of the "panel_F1_650.cfg" file and rename it to just "panel.cfg" to replace the existing version, it should achieve what you're after.

However, if you have an outstanding issue with write permissions to other folders in the "Documents" directory, it's likely you'll encounter problems with the Accu-Sim simulation.

Thanks,
Nick
Thanks Nick, this is good info. I’m hoping since I have taken ownership of the files and my user has full control over them I won’t have problems. But perhaps I will just need to do a Windows reinstall if the issue persists, I’m not sure what else to do.

The Windows 10 read-only problem is will documented on the web and has potential to cause serious issues with Prepar3D IMO.

Flightfreak
Airman

Post by Flightfreak »

Nick - A2A wrote:

Thanks,
Nick
This worked perfectly, no issues with the airplane either. thanks again Nick and Lewis.
Great work on the Texan.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good to hear, hope you get that windows issue sorted. I guess it could be a user account issue with your account itself not being full admin level.

thanks,
Lewis

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update FF - you're welcome! :)

Nick

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”