Trouble with steerable tailwheel P3Dv4.4

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Fastback
Airman First Class

Post by Fastback »

Hi,

I am having trouble with getting the tailwheel to go into steerable mode from free castering mode. I am using P3Dv4.4 and have run the update tool for the T-6 and have the latest version.

I sometimes start off with the tailwheel steering properly (I think!) but when it switches over to free castering I can't get it to go back into steering mode again. I am pulling back on the stick and only using rudder pedals to steer but it still stays in free castering.

https://youtu.be/L3s0YfZo5lE

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Ben

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hey Ben,

It almost looks...well, your tailwheel does appear stuck in the turn the further along you go in the video.

My first thought is that you seem to be pressing on the rudder well into the turn and so you are reacting late to cancel the turn.
Try using rudder to ‘begin’ the turn and rather quickly bring it back to neutral, then anticipate using opposite rudder to begin the turn in the other direction. I also make lots of small corrections sometimes to moderate the rate of turn in anticipation of bringing it back the other direction.
It does take practice, but you get the hang of it quickly.

Also, I’m not sure if you just replayed this from outside to show what was happening, but I think trying to learn how to use the rudders from outside means you miss lots of cues and will lack finesse as opposed to learning how to turn in the cockpit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fastback
Airman First Class

Re: Trouble with steerable tailwheel P3Dv4.4

Post by Fastback »

Thanks for the reply Jacques,

Yeah I still don't know if this is an issue with the plane or with my driving :P I'm still practicing like hell but after watching the Accu-Sim T-6 Texan "The Six" - 15 minute demonstration video a few times I still can't get the responsiveness that you see here;

https://youtu.be/JWJ6fPJhuZQ?t=345

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Do you have your control surface sensitivity too low, as a possibility? ( in P3Dv4)

My experience is fairly close to the video, but I also don’t change it between aircraft that I fly. While I can ground loop the T6 and it is very maneuverable on the ground, the turns don’t seem to be as “snappy” as Scott’s.

Fastback
Airman First Class

Post by Fastback »

My sensitivity is max and null zone min as recommended by A2A so no issues there, do you have P3Dv4.4 also Jacques?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yes, for a few months now, coming from FSX SE.

Fastback
Airman First Class

Post by Fastback »

Ok, we'll just have to wait and see what Scott or Lewis has to say about this :mrgreen:

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

As best as I can tell this is exactly what should be happening. When the stick is pulled back to engage steering, the tail wheel does not magically snap right back to follow the rudder. The rudder needs to be aligned with the wheel and the aircraft has to be moving in a direction that allows the tailwheel to line back up with the rudder. Once they line back up, the steering should get locked in.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Fastback
Airman First Class

Post by Fastback »

Oracle427 wrote:As best as I can tell this is exactly what should be happening. When the stick is pulled back to engage steering, the tail wheel does not magically snap right back to follow the rudder. The rudder needs to be aligned with the wheel and the aircraft has to be moving in a direction that allows the tailwheel to line back up with the rudder. Once they line back up, the steering should get locked in.
Problem is the stick was pulled back the whole time, the tail wheel was aligned with the rudder initially, it just failed to follow the rudder afterwards...the tailwheel should still be in steering mode but it does not respond...

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Dreadful attempt at a video, but here’s what I see on the ground:
(Removed)

Last edited by Jacques on 30 Dec 2018, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The part about transitioning from free-castoring to locked is what threw me off then. I'm not sure what to say then.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Fastback
Airman First Class

Post by Fastback »

[quote="Jacques"]Dreadful attempt at a video, but here’s what I see on the ground:

Oh yeah, I'm definitely not getting that kind of steering on the ground, are you using brakes at all when you're doing this?

Thank you for posting this video Jacques

Fastback
Airman First Class

Post by Fastback »

Another video demonstrating this issue, if there is any tailwheel steering it only mildly effective and is very slow to respond, once any steering momentum is built up it is completely useless...or is it just free castering. There is no difference to the steering when I push the stick forwards or backwards.

https://youtu.be/w_OZXad88IU

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Ben,

From watching the videos you uploaded, something does seem to be wrong with the tail wheel behaviour. Please can you just confirm which aircraft loads within the default P3D scenario when you launch the simulator?

Also, are you using any software such as FSUIPC, or just the default P3D control settings menu?

Finally, please can you confirm the file version number of the A2A_Accusim.dll. The file is located in this folder...
  • Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\Gauges
...And at the time of writing, should have the version number 18.12.19.0. (You can see the version number if you hover the cursor over the file's icon for a few seconds.)

Thanks,
Nick

Fastback
Airman First Class

Post by Fastback »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hello Ben,

From watching the videos you uploaded, something does seem to be wrong with the tail wheel behaviour....
Thanks,
Nick
Hi Nick, thanks for the reply

the default P3D scenario aircraft is the F-22

I am using FSUIPC (paid version) although I don't assign my rudder pedals through it, just normal P3D assignment.

The A2A_Accusim.dll version is 18.12.19.0

Cheers
Ben

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”