Suitable Runway clearafication please

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Suitable Runway clearafication please

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Ok, twice now I've had sick passengers on my flights. On the first one I had just departed Tansonnhat at Hochiminh headed SE across the South China Sea. I had only two choices for landing. The closest choice at 140nm was Conson, Vietnam on a small Island with a 6,000 foot asphalt runway dropping off to the sea at both ends and the second was to return to Tansonnhat which was 158nm. I returned to Tansonnhat and got scolded for taking too long. Now, I did not race "balls out" to get there but it was the best choice with much better health care capabilities I'm sure.

I just now got another sick passenger heading to Habart, Tasmania from Sydney, Australia. The passenger got sick just 20-30nm NNE of Flinders I, a 5,000 foot gravel runway. I'm cruising at FL240 to get above the clouds so a descent to Flinders I would be as time consuming as what I chose to do which was to divert to Davonport, a 6,000 foot asphalt runway at approximately 120nm. Again, I got scolded for taking too long. This time I did not race "balls out" but I did expedite greatly. My final approach to Davonport required a dive over some tall trees with touchdown 1,000 feet plus past the numbers and getting stopped about 500 feet from the far end.

Landing at Flinders I would have been pretty hectic if it has the obstacles on approach as I had at Davonport, not to mention the gravel surface with limited braking capabilities.

So my questions are, what is considered a suitable runway? How does Accu-Sim decide if you've taken too long? Am I to make a panic descent and landing at the very nearest airport whether it be gravel, dirt, grass, asphalt, etc? I understand that Accu-Sim cannot know if there are obstacles on approach or if the runway is "really" suitable aside from the runway length. So what is the criteria?

Thanks so much and I am having way too much fun with this aircraft. :lol:

Roger

PS: "Balls Out" has nothing to do with human anatomy. Just in case anyone was thinking that. :wink:
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

severniae
Senior Airman

Re: Suitable Runway clearafication please

Post by severniae »

What would be great, is if you could tweak the likelihood of certain things happening.

For instance, personally, I don't like the idea of having to divert for a virtual passenger, so I'd leave the chance of this happening to 0, other people might like this feature, so could set it to 100 - very likely, or, say, 50, for the 'default' setting.

Just an idea...

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

severniae wrote:What would be great, is if you could tweak the likelihood of certain things happening.

For instance, personally, I don't like the idea of having to divert for a virtual passenger, so I'd leave the chance of this happening to 0, other people might like this feature, so could set it to 100 - very likely, or, say, 50, for the 'default' setting.

Just an idea...
I like the randomness because that is the way things happen. Emergencies are never convenient. I would just like to know what is expected of me. If my boss sends me out on a task and tells me nothing more than "don't screw up", I am doomed to "screw it up" because I don't know what is expected of me. :?

Regards
Roger

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I had a similar thing happen from kbur to ksea , nearest airport was kpdx , on my route , but i was at cruise alt , i started my decent , to get to portland , but when i got to the airport , i still had 10000ft to loose , so decided to carry on to ksea , knowing i would then be at the correct appr hight , and would take the same amount of time as circling portland while loosing hight , i to got slated for taking to long.
Yet i still had to be kind to the rest of my pax , so a steep decent would have also slated me go figure.
regards alan. 8)

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Well, here is another real disheartening thing about this. I was at a salary of $15,087 after 45 flights and after this last flight it was reduced by $1,415. I made the correct choice and got down as fast as possible. I went to the nearest "suitable" airport, not the nearest airport.

Roger

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

We all need to watch "High and the Mighty" again.

I've never had a sick passenger on my flights in the A2A Connie yet, so I haven't had to deal with that. I am thankful.

On my C-47, Ernie the co-pilot will say, "Better open up a window. Somebody got sick back there." Standard procedure is to slide open his window, then open up the paratrooper door in the back to air out the airplane. Our motto is "Hard nights and charter flights," and it's not at all unusual for some of the PAX to "lose it" as we make our escape from our latest adventure of the night before during the morning after.

Seeya
ATB

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

A 6,000' runway is more than adequate for a L-049 to operate from, even heavily loaded, but you are correct that the detection routine can sometimes be a bit iffy. I know Scott was looking into it, but the logic is pretty simple right now and I'm pretty sure it'd get really complex really fast if he tried to add a lot more "determination" to it beyond looking for the closest runway of suitable length (which I think is 5000', but I could be wrong) and seeing if you go there or not and how long you take to make it there.

I think in an ideal world it would look at a "reasonable" descent profile and then find the closest airport from there to a certain distance beyond and go from that, but again, that can quickly involve a lot of programming to make work right, and the codebase of Accusim as-is is pretty big. As he likes to remind us BETA Testers - every time he changes something in the code, something else gets affected because the code is driving a "living" simulation and thus you have to be very careful what you tweak less you make something else worse.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

CAPFlyer, thanks for the response. Yes, I can imagine the algorithm getting complicated to look at all variables in relation to a proper emergency descent and landing. "If" the minimum runway length for the L049 is 5,000ft then one other factor needs to be addressed for this case. That issue is the way that FSX likes to plant trees (sometimes really tall trees) at the ends of the runways, especially in the south pacific. Your 5,000ft runway now has a usable surface of 4,000ft or maybe even 3,500ft. This terrain/3D object information would be impossible to plug into the algorithm. But... I'm sure the boys at A2A can come up with something. A clever lot they are 8)

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

WB_FlashOver wrote:CAPFlyer, thanks for the response. Yes, I can imagine the algorithm getting complicated to look at all variables in relation to a proper emergency descent and landing. "If" the minimum runway length for the L049 is 5,000ft then one other factor needs to be addressed for this case. That issue is the way that FSX likes to plant trees (sometimes really tall trees) at the ends of the runways, especially in the south pacific. Your 5,000ft runway now has a usable surface of 4,000ft or maybe even 3,500ft. This terrain/3D object information would be impossible to plug into the algorithm. But... I'm sure the boys at A2A can come up with something. A clever lot they are 8)
Have you tried the "LumberJack" addon to trim trees back from the runways, don't think it works for ORB/FTX regions but it should be fine for the islands and works great.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Ok so to clarify to the orig question. When flying the connie and a sick passenger presents - accusim looks for the closest 5000ft or longer runway. Then checks to see if you landed there and how long it took?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Sooo, it's been months and thousands of miles sense my last sick passenger. Today I had another. On a hop from Ottawa, Ontario Canada (CYOW) to Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada (CYQT) as I was climbing through 14k I got a sick passenger and Betty said to call ahead and get the bird on the ground.

My nearest airport was Prembroke (CYTA) with a 4997 ft runway. I pulled the power back... waaaaay back... nosed her over at 2200 fpm, dropped one stage of flaps, made a few "S" turns, and hung on. I had 28 nautical miles to descend 13k ft +/-. Babies were crying most of the way down but I got a round of applause on landing even though it wasn't the best. The crew said "well done sir" and Betty was "very glad to have the flight over". :?

Anyways, my point being is that it seems to only matter that you get her down quick. Don't worry about the babies and such. Just get that sickly dude to a hospital before he dies in your plane. :wink:

Cheers
Roger

Cool
Airman First Class

Post by Cool »

That 's Good to know ☺

Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

Hi, guys!
Can I read all the crew's words and the flight attendant's monologues by the text? Is it somehow possible? I still do not quite understand by ear their conversations :(

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Eugene Kremlev wrote:Hi, guys!
Can I read all the crew's words and the flight attendant's monologues by the text? Is it somehow possible? I still do not quite understand by ear their conversations :(
Hello Eugene,
You cannot read the normal conversations. If you don't hear what they say, you missed it for good. However, the Shift+2 (Crew's Report) window will give a you information such as a sick passenger, icing warning, mechanical malfunction, etc.
It would be nice to be able to have a print out of what they say for some stuff, or at least "repeat last"... button.

Cheers
Roger

Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

WB_FlashOver wrote: Hello Eugene,
You cannot read the normal conversations. If you don't hear what they say, you missed it for good. However, the Shift+2 (Crew's Report) window will give a you information such as a sick passenger, icing warning, mechanical malfunction, etc.
It would be nice to be able to have a print out of what they say for some stuff, or at least "repeat last"... button.

Cheers
Roger
WB_FlashOver, thanks. I'll start tracking Crew's Report.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”