"Lockheed Constellation Pilot" - promo video starring L-049

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

"Lockheed Constellation Pilot" - promo video starring L-049

Post by Alan_A »

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I just stumbled across it - a TWA promotional "behind the scenes" film from the mid-1940s, featuring extensive footage of L-049s, in particular "Star of Paris." It has all the creaky conventions of that kind of film from that era - which helps make it sort of a blast. Hope you enjoy...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzFUKPlL-Xc[/youtube]
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: "Lockheed Constellation Pilot" - promo video starring L-

Post by Lewis - A2A »

hehe great video 8) As you say all the classic stuff of the era is there. Great stuff that just add's to it. Thanks for sharing your find, the footage has some great bits in it.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

That kind of film must have been a standard promotional product - I stumbled onto the TWA/Connie one thanks to a YouTube recommendation after I watched this earlier (c.1939-1940) American Airlines one (linked below).

In an era when most people would have opted for the train, the airlines must have felt they had to show that they were safety-minded (lots of detail about maintenance) and that air travel was nice and comfortable and relaxing for people just like you.

The American one does a lot more to develop characters and present vignettes - including one where the calm businessman tells the harassed businessman that flying is much more relaxing, because there aren't buildings or signs or telegraph poles flashing by your window.

Oddly, no one ever mentions what it was like to fly through lines of thunderstorms, or how handy the airsickness bags were...

Final note - the DC-3 in the American film flies the same approach to LaGuardia (straight in to Runway 4) as the TWA Connie... though the Connie makes its landing on a different runway, I think 22.

Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZLaFgpN8_0[/youtube]

HighBypass
Airman First Class

Post by HighBypass »

It's a bit different to the one by Arthur Godfrey :? :lol: No sparking up a Chesterfield on the flight deck.. Thanks for sharing.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Yeah, this one was definitely more orthodox than Godfrey's... or maybe just didn't require a product placement. 8)

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”