GMN 650 NAVIGATION

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
scarter
Airman First Class

GMN 650 NAVIGATION

Post by scarter »

With other A2A aircraft that have the GTN 750 installed you can make a flight plan takeoff and the aircraft follows the flight plan..with the Constellation with a GTN650 does it do the same or are just getting heading info and that is all?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: GMN 650 NAVIGATION

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
If you use the sperry auto pilot , then you need to do all the hdg changes , and constant adjustments to alt trim , to maintain your course and alt , the GPS is basically a guide , welcome to the old school of flying.
If you use the default autopilot , then i believe it follows the flight plan , but i am guessing on this , as i use the sperry , i like all the hard work involved in flying this way , and i have flown on vatsim with canadianxpress in the connie , and i have had to remind a couple of controllers on my max rate of climb and decent , when asked to expedite the climb/decent .
regards alan. 8) :lol:

scarter
Airman First Class

Post by scarter »

I hope you don't speck for A2A SIMULATIONS on your reply..as Donald TRUMP would say ..You are fired

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Alan, I believe you may have been better off just replying, "No". :roll:

Just curious, because I thought the questions was answered and then some. What didn't get answered?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

There seem to be some posts missing here, so maybe this answer has already been provided. But for the record - if you use the default autopilot in the Connie, then it will follow GPS guidance. You need to set the autopilot to NAV (or APP if you’re on an ILS) and make sure you’ve set the GPS as your nav source. On the GTN 650, you do that by setting the CDI to GPS on the default nav page. If you’re using the default GPS, use the toggle switch on the GPS housing to select “GPS”. Hope this helps.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Alan_A.
No posts missing , i use the sperry , not the default Autopilot , so could only guess that the default autopilot would follow the flight plan , the sperry will not , and therefore needs more adjustments , as you are probably aware of , thanks for clearing that up with regards to the default AP.
regards alan. 8)

scarter
Airman First Class

Post by scarter »

will try again with the GTN650 and see what happens on what you said

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Let us know how you do. One modification to what I wrote above - to follow an ILS via the autopilot, the CDI on the GTN 650 needs to be set to VLOC (for VOR/Localizer), not GPS, since at that point you're tracking the ILS radio frequency, not the GPS signal. You also have to tune that frequency, which you can do by hand on the GTN nav radio, or automatically if you load and activate the approach on the GTN (it tunes the radio when the approach is activated). Again, good flying - looking forward to your reports.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”