pfpx profile

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
spesimen
Airman

pfpx profile

Post by spesimen »

i threw together a quick and dirty profile for pfpx using the numbers from the manual.

it seems to work ok for ballpark figures but consistently is calculating an extra 1000-1500lbs and i'm not really sure why.

if somebody else uses pfpx maybe you can see if you notice anything unusual. it's still handy for getting the right neighborhood, i will post an update later if i discover the source of the extra fuel. i suspect it might be the descent numbers which i kind of fudged from the cruise fuel usage, i'm not sure that would account for the entire discrepancy though

edit: apparently i can't attach a text file and when i tried a zip file it says my quota has been reached

i uploaded it here: http://textuploader.com/ddwxu
(link edited to point to updated version 17-jan)

cheers
-andy crosby
Last edited by spesimen on 17 Jan 2017, 16:54, edited 2 times in total.

McChester
Airman

Re: pfpx profile

Post by McChester »

Very nice thank you. I will give it a try on the next flights. One thing I instantly noticed though, is that the value for ATCDesignator should be CONI and not L049.

Alex

joers182
Senior Airman

Post by joers182 »

Appreciate this, this is going to speed up the planning process.

Many thanks again.
Joe W

tmegowan
Airman Basic

Post by tmegowan »

Where do I put this. I put it in the Aircraft templates folder but it does not show up in PFPX.
Thanks
Tony Megowan
ATCS Santa Barbara Tower/TRACON

spesimen
Airman

Post by spesimen »

tmegowan wrote:Where do I put this. I put it in the Aircraft templates folder but it does not show up in PFPX.
Thanks
it should go to aircraft types folder, not templates :)
on my system is here:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\PFPX Data\AircraftTypes

you will also have to go to aircraft->add new aircraft menu
when you get the popup screen then now the connie should be one of the options on the type dropdown menu

cheers
-andy crosby

spesimen
Airman

Post by spesimen »

updated!

1.i got some numbers for descent based on observations
2.fixed atc designator
3.fixed hold fuel numbers which were completely wrong
4. fixed an errant semicolon that was messing up endurance calcs

http://textuploader.com/ddwxu

cheers
-andy crosby

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Thanks Andy. I don't imagine I'm the only one who appreciates this. I'm going to have to start populating the schedule now. :?
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

spesimen
Airman

Post by spesimen »

i just wish it was more accurate. frankly i think there might be something amiss with the plane's performance compared to the book numbers... or something amiss with pfpx calcs, i don't know.... unfortunately i have not had time to do a thorough analysis. someone else posted in another thread that when they set the book power rpm and BMEP the fuel usage was a lot different than predicted, when i checked that i noticed it also, but it is actually much higher, while these numbers seem to calculate as much lower! quite mystifying... the speeds seem weird too. for example last night i did a test flight and it predicted about 3hr flight, i ran things a little faster (at 135 BMEP instead of the book value of 125 @20000ft) and did it in 2h and yet still used almost 1500lb less fuel than predicted...

at least the positive thing is taht this is still useful as a starting point for getting to the destination with reasonable fuel remaining. i'll continue to tweak it as time permits. i'd like to test in ISA a few cruise power/speed/fuel consumption settings to compare them to the book and make a variant profile from that and see how it works. that's normally how i would make a fuel profile anyway... i was hoping to avoid having to do that work because of the manual having all the info... oh well :)

cheers
-andy crosby

Syzygy
Airman

Post by Syzygy »

Great work! Couple of notes...
  • Are you doing your test flights in auto-rich or auto-lean? If you're doing them in auto-rich your actual fuel burn numbers will be much higher than book.
  • Equipment field should be "SDF" for most Connies (standard navigation equipment plus DME and ADF), and "SBDFGRY" for GTN 650-equipped Connies (adds LPV [when approved], GNSS, PBN [when approved], and 8.33 kHz VHF spacing). Our Connie is not capable of RVSM (need a standby altimeter and altitude-holding autopilot).
  • Transponder field should be "C" for most Connies (mode-A and mode-C capable).
  • PBN field should be left blank for most Connies, or set to "D2O2S1" for GTN 650-equipped Connies (RNAV1-capable, RNP-1 capable, and RNP-Approach capable with GNSS)
Hopefully you figure out the fuel burn issue!

qqwertzde
Airman Basic

Post by qqwertzde »

Hi Andy,

is your PFPX profile still available? It appears the link has expired.

Thanks,
Peter

SilverShadow
Airman Basic

Post by SilverShadow »

Hi guys

I would really like to bump this - Does anyone of you fine gentlemen have this PFPX file and would you be able to share it?

Best

AviatorMoser
Airman

Post by AviatorMoser »

I can't remember if I wrote this one from scratch or adjusted it from Andy's.

But here's mine.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9yj3oyl01 ... lation.txt

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”