What Happened?

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
omnijet
Airman First Class

What Happened?

Post by omnijet »

What happened :?: :!: :shock: I was cruising along just fine. Power set correctly, plenty of fuel, 10000' altitude. All of a sudden, 15 minutes into the flight, FE warned not to push engines but I was by the book at 28" and 2300 RPM. Reduced power. First, #1 then remaining 3 engines sputtered and partial shut down. Feathered #1 but kept the rest turning for some power but it faded fast. As a result, lost all hydraulics and could not execute a power off emergency landing. Result... we're all dead :cry:

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: What Happened?

Post by Tug002 »

My only guess is that they may have run low on oil if you had not filled up the tanks. :?:

Keep smiling
Tug :)

omnijet
Airman First Class

Post by omnijet »

Thanks, Tug. Oil starvation could have been it. Too late to go back and check... the aircraft was destroyed. I thought that was why I was paying a Flight Engineer. He could have said "hey Captain Dummy, you're running out of oil". Isn't he supposed to check all systems before takeoff? :roll:

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

You're supposed to check all fluid quantities before you start the flight. :)

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

omnijet wrote:Thanks, Tug. Oil starvation could have been it. Too late to go back and check... the aircraft was destroyed. I thought that was why I was paying a Flight Engineer. He could have said "hey Captain Dummy, you're running out of oil". Isn't he supposed to check all systems before takeoff? :roll:
If you're low on oil he'll tell you as he's setting everything up before the flight.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

AviationAtWar wrote:
omnijet wrote:Thanks, Tug. Oil starvation could have been it. Too late to go back and check... the aircraft was destroyed. I thought that was why I was paying a Flight Engineer. He could have said "hey Captain Dummy, you're running out of oil". Isn't he supposed to check all systems before takeoff? :roll:
If you're low on oil he'll tell you as he's setting everything up before the flight.
That's right, i forgot about that as I have been told that I needed oil in the 377 so it makes sense he would tell you in the Connie. Makes me wonder about why the engines quit like that. Water in the fuel :?: Don't know if that is simulated on the Connie or not. :? Although being told don't be so hard on the engines makes me think they are being over stressed.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

sixgun
Senior Airman

Post by sixgun »

I had a similar experience in the T-6. The engine just lost power and I could not find the problem. It acted like fuel starvation. Found a roadway to land on. Went to the maintenance hanger and everything was fine. All flights after that were great. Still don't know what caused the problem. I was at 4000 ft. in a slow climb out of KBHM last week, OAT temp was not a problem. Maybe file problem in FSX ?
Last edited by sixgun on 30 Sep 2017, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Did you attempt to use carb heat before the engine lost power? Did you note the carb air temp just in case it was conducive to ice formation?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”