Breif explanation of FSUIPC?

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
El Gringo
Airman Basic

Breif explanation of FSUIPC?

Post by El Gringo »

Hi all,

I am running FSX Acceleration with Accu-sim add-on. I am not exactly an FSX newbie, but I haven't done much with add-ons until just recently.

I have heard mention of FSUIPC in Alan's Constellation training videos and I would appreciate a brief comment from someone knowledgeable about what it does, whether there are compatibility issues, performance benefits (or impacts) and so forth before I decide if it's worth installing.

Thanks in advance!
El Gringo
Guatemala City

FSX Gold
A2A C172R / PA-28-180 / L049 Constellation
CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals
(one of these days I'll get around to a yoke and throttle quadrant)

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Breif explanation of FSUIPC?

Post by Gypsy Baron »

FSUIPC (registered version) is an extremely powerful tool. You can assign your controller axis,
buttons, switches to the FSX functions. Those functions are similar to the A2A aircraft configurator
tool but much, much more flexible.

All default FSX controls as well as those aircraft-specific controls (L:Variables) can be mapped to your
controller axis/buttons/switches in a simple one-to-one method or, as I do, to assign multiple
FSX controls to each button/switch. (Think of them as 'modes' where your typical controller has a
switch for 2 or 3)

I have 12 functions mapped to each of my Saitek dual throttle quadrant switches, for my Connie and
6 or 8 for other aircraft. The method I use, via FSUIPC, actually allows up to 256 functions to be
mapped to each switch.(256 'modes')

Here is a link to a thread in these forums with a discussion of FSUIPC control assignments and three
JPG's that depict my multiple control mappings for some A2A aircraft.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... ap#p163194

FSUIPC also supports a subset of the Lua scripting language to add even more flexibility. I use Lua
scripts for everything from displaying a message whenever I change a trim setting indicating the
setting as I change the trim axis to 'automatic' control of FSX functions.

I used Lua scripts to create a 'Vitual Flight Engineer Extension' for the A2A Connie. The scripts
run through the pre-start checks to engine starting to hands off MP/BMEP and RPM control during
the take off, climb and cruise regimes.

Here is a link to a thread in the L049 forum here that addresses my VFEX:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 05#p459752

There is little or no impact to FSX performance that I can see.

FSUIPC is easy to install, with all required parts residing in the FSX 'Modules' folder. Excellent
support is available in Pete Dowson's forum at:

https://forum.simflight.com/forum/30-fs ... n-modules/

You can download the free version and read to documentation to get an idea of what the registered
version can do or if you have questions specific needs, ask them here in this forum.

FSUIPC offers more power and flexibility that the average user would need but for me, it is essential.

Paul

El Gringo
Airman Basic

Post by El Gringo »

Thanks Gypsy Baron, that was very helpful.

I have CH Products gear and have thus far been using the CH Control Manager to create aircraft profiles, configure button assignments and so forth. The benefit of CHCM as I understand it is that it takes advantage of the programmability of the CH gear itself. The problems with CHCM are (a) as far as I know it only works with CH Products gear, (b) there have been compatibility issues reported with Win10, and (c) CHCM does not appear to be supported anymore.

If I understand correctly, FSUIPC is not brand-specific, meaning that the programmability would reside within the FSUIPC add-on as opposed to being built into the joystick and other input devices. It also sounds like it is pretty well supported.

Up to now I have managed to work around the CHCM compatibility issues, but it sounds like FSUIPC may be the way to go in the future.

One other question: Can you install FSUIPC right over the top of whatever FSX installation plus add-ons you may happen to have, or do you need to have a fresh installation, or is there a particular order in which things need to be installed?

Any other comments?

Cheers,
El Gringo
Guatemala City

FSX Gold
A2A C172R / PA-28-180 / L049 Constellation
CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals
(one of these days I'll get around to a yoke and throttle quadrant)

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

FSUIPC installs directly into the 'Modules' folder of FSX. If there isn't such a folder then
it creates one. There are no dependencies on other addons.

To be able to take advantage of the power of FSUIPC one needs to read the included documentation.

FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf
FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf
FSUIPC4 Offsets Status.pdf
FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf
FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf

Also, be aware that there is a version for FSX/FSX SE, P3DV3 - 32-bit applications and one for
P3DV4 64-bit. So make sure you get the correct version (FSUIPC4 for FSX)

On programming various controllers, as long as a button, switch or axis is 'seen'
by FSX, FSUIPC4 can assign controls to those elements. On my Saitek controllers
there is one 'proprietary' switch that is not seen by FSX thus FSUIPC4 will not see it either.

Paul

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”