De- and anti-icing when flying with the FE.

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

De- and anti-icing when flying with the FE.

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

So I noticed that when using the FE in the Connie that he does not recognize carb icing in time and does not pull the carb heat enough. Same goes for prop and airframe icing. If you flip the switches on the co-pilot's panel they flip right back down.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: De- and anti-icing when flying with the FE.

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Same on FSX SE. would be nice to have a way of telling the FE what to do. E.G buttons for props, manifold pressure, carb heat, fuel management, ect.

YesI do know about Gypsy's Virtual FE
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Are either of you using any 3rd party weather programs?
A2A Simulations Inc.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I’m using FSXWX(freeware) I’ll try Flying without it to see if there’s a change.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I haven't flown the Connie since buying Active Sky but I can confirm this happened for me with default FSX weather.

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Yeah, the latest active sky in p3d v4.4. Has quite a severe case of prop icing lately, which resulted in large RPM fluctuations on two of the four engines. Would be cool if the anti- and de-icing systems were in the hands of the pilot or there was a command in the shift + 2 panel.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

How far or how deep is iceing modelled within the connie in FSX (SE)? Pitot and Carb iceing is present. What about airframe and propeller iceing?

Regards,
Zacke

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Zacke.
Its affects are modelled , but visuals are not, so you will feel the aircraft handling differently under these conditions.
regards alan. 8)

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Sorry for asking again: Airframe iceing is modelled, too? Or is it just the low-threshold FSX standard iceing modell?

Concerning the propeller iceing? How does it affect the systems respectively how do I notice the propeller iceing?

Zacke

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Zacke.
Airframe and prop iceing effect the aircraft in different ways , only thing common to both , is they increase the aircrafts weight , and that effects range , if props ice up , and get heavy , then more engine power would be needed , to maintain speed , so i would expect a drop in RPM and MPH to be the first signs , airframe iceing covers control and wing surfaces and the fuselage , the fuselage iceing would cause extra drag , control iceing would make it hard to control the aircraft , and wing iceing would cause extra turbulance and increase weight and drag.
Akar could no doubt give you a more detailed explanation , but i have tried to give basic info only.
regards alan. 8)

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Far as I'm aware, Accusim has custom carburetor icing but airframe and prop are default FSX. And unfortunately my experience has been that default has some glaring flaws that diminish the hazard it poses.

In the real world, usually once ice has accumulated, it stays on the aircraft until you use de-icing measures or fly into non-freezing temperatures that melt it off. So even after you leave icing conditions, you're often stuck with the ice you've already picked up if you don't have a way to remove it.

In FSX, my experience from other Accusim aircraft without anti-ice has strongly suggested that the moment you leave icing conditions, the effects of ice rapidly diminish back to zero even if you're still in sub-zero temperatures. So whereas in the real world, going in and out of icing conditions will result in cumulative buildup that can quickly become dangerous, in FSX it seems like your aircraft magically de-ices itself every time it flies into clear air. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong because if true this seems a terrible way of implementing airframe ice.

As for the FE, for me he seems to have good and bad days. One flight I will start noticing a MAP drop and get a carb ice warning and no action is taken. The next, I see he's turned on all the de-icing, carb heat, and carb de-ice even after a short stint in the rain and we're flying in the clear again. Guess he just needs his hourly hit of coffee in order to notice those warning signs!!

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Have anybody ever tried the ICE-Gauge (icev10) by Charles Owen with the Connie? It works very well with the B-17 but not with later A2A aircraft with more advanced flight modells.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Again the question: Has anybody tried the ICE-gauge (icev10) with the Connie?

Thanks,
Zacke

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”