Prop RPM surging constantly

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Prop RPM surging constantly

Post by bobsk8 »

I haven't flown the Connie in quite awhile, and decided to take it for a shirt flight this morning. As I started to cruise at a fairly low altitude, the prop rpm of all 4 engines started surging up and down. The FE was enabled. As anyone else had this happened and or what could cause that. MP remained steady. If I reduced MP to around 16 inches, the surging stopped, and came back when I increased it to normal cruise MP.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Prop RPM surging constantly

Post by TreeTops »

I had exactly the same issue early after release and no one explained what the problem was. I had it happen a couple of times on longer flights. I've hardly flown it since, so I can't tell you more history than that. It was a bit frustrating to say the least.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 34&t=57494
Cheers
Trev

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

I was having the exact same problem described in this other thread. Engines 2 and 4 go bezerk with RPM going up and down, and prop switches on FE panel clicking like mad when this happens.

I started looking at my control assignments in P3D, and I happened to use the Logitech ( Saitek) throttle quadrant switches 3 and 4 ( middle switches) prop increase and decrease assigned through FSUIPC. Well I decided to look at the settings in P3D control assignments, because I do leave the P3D controls enabled even though I use FSUIPC for most controlling, there are a couple of controls that I need P3D controls enabled for.

I found, when I looked at the Saitek controls that switch number 4 ( which I use for prop decrease in the Connie) was assigned in P3D also as Propeller Sync On/Off. So when I would lower prop speed as I was climbing out bu hitting switch number 4 , I was also toggling prop sync off and on via P3D, and this must have caused the FE to go crazy trying to figure out what to do. Apparently this is a default setting in P3D for switch #4 on the Saitek Quadrant for prop sync on/off, because I never set that myself.

I deleted that assignment in P3D for Prop SYNC on and off , Did a flight, and no more surging of prop speed on engine 2-4.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

just figured out where the assignment for Prop sync on/off came from. I use FS2 CREW for the Majestic Q400 and the secondary key setting sets Prop sync on/off. To fix this issue, if you use FSUIPC for control assignments, remove prop sync on/off from your sim control settings which are not aircraft specific, and then assign this function in FSUIPC to only work on the Majestic Q400, and if FSUIPC it is called "Toggle Propellor Sync". Then it will only use that command when in the Q400 for FS 2Crew and won't effect the Connie at all.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”