Sudden Crash. What's up?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Sudden Crash. What's up?

Post by WB_FlashOver »

So....

This morning during my flight at FL230, smooth air, no clouds within 100 miles or so, 5 minutes after an instrument sweep, Betty steps into cockpit and announces lunch, and Boom! What the heck?!?! Plane crash? Sim reloads to default flight. I reload Connie and hear that taps is playing.

Knowing that this is a computer program and susceptible to gremlins I replaced data file with backup from one prior to flight. Career looks good and plane is in the shape it should be. I ponder this for a few hours and decide to try another flight. Again, 30-40 minutes into flight, climbing through 14,000 and it happens again. And again, just did a sweep of gauges -perfect-, smooth air, no clouds (ASP4 shows no weather in the area), Betty steps in and serves Waldorf salad with bread for dinner, BOOM! Sim reloads default Beech Baron 58 at S05.

So, details on my end;
P3Dv4.3
A2A updater in Start Menu says Connie is up to date
ASP4 v. 6773
ASCA v. 6452
P3Dv4 running as Admin
Windows 10 Pro v. 1803 build 17134.376
Saitek X52 Pro software v. 7.0.53.6
TrackIR 4 camera w/TrackIR 5 software
Default flight is a Beech Baron 58 as it always has been. Load default to menu then change plane before spawn, they way I have always done it
Flight was a full load of passengers with nothing edited. Fuel quantities gave me an extra 1000 gallons upon arrival as destination, I believe 2300+/- gallons
Fuel levels across tanks were as they should be
Oil levels are topped off prior to each flight

NOTES:
Plane has 1019 hours on airframe and 274 hours on second set of engines. It seems odd that in two consecutive flights I have not been able to get past 1020 airframe hours by more than a 10-15 minutes.
It also seems odd that both times have been as Betty is serving a meal.

Any suggestions are much appreciated here.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Re: Sudden Crash. What's up?

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Update:

I have not deleted the data files from after the crashes. The first crash was at 1022.5 airframe hours with the second crash at 1020.1 airframe hours. So my earlier statement of not making it more than 10-15 minutes past 1020 hours in not correct. Here is a screenshot of plane status prior to both flights.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Rodger.
Was this a weekend flight , i have had similar issues at weekends with ASN running , and its usually a corrupt weather download in my case that caused the issue , it happens with me if i am flying in an area where the weather station goes off line for maintenance , while ASN is getting a weather update from that station , thus corrupting ASN , this in turn corrupts simconnect , and any A2A aircraft i happen to be flying at the time , and can cause the sim itself to crash at times.
Have you tried this flight with fair weather set within the sim.
The other posibility could be a scenery issues , have you any addon scenery in that area of the sim when the crash happened , if so try dissableing that scenery and try the flight again.
regards alan. 8)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Roger,

Yes, add-on scenery can sometimes cause the FSX/P3D crash detection to trigger if an invisible bounding box is incorrectly set and extends thousands of feet into the air. For this reason, it's often recommended that you turn off crash detection in the host sim settings.

ASN may be another culprit I guess, as Alan suggests. Again, switching off the P3D crash detection may be the best workaround.

Thanks,
Nick

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Thanks for the replies men.
The additional sceneries I have are all Orbx Global range and all NA range. I also have gotten ACG Duxford to work. I will remove Duxford for next attempt. However I doubt that that is the issue sense I was flying out of SUMU west bound first flight and north east on second flight. But you just never know. I am very aware of bad crash boxes but have never experienced one above maybe 2000-3000 AGL.

It very well could be ASP4. I have had it go absolutely bonkers at times but it has always been in bad weather to start with and progressed to the point that I have to shut it down. This time it was perfect weather with no clouds and no turbulence at all. Then out of nowhere I crash.

I will disable Duxford and fly boring weather :mrgreen: on next flight to see how it goes.

I'm sure it was a coincidence that Betty was just starting to serve a meal both times but I'm sweeping for IED's during loading next flight. Maybe someone got a bad can of soda?

Thanks again
Roger

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Well, snap!
Today I made to 1022.3 airframe hours before a sudden crash at FL220. This makes for 3 hours of flight time. Betty served an uneventful lunch, weather was not the best today with a bit of severe turbulence at times, ASP4 running, ACG Duxford disabled.

I only seem to get maybe one or two flights a week these days so it may be next weekend before I can attempt it again with ASP4 disabled. Hopefully this is the case as you say Alan and disabling ASP4 will fix the issue.

Weather was changing like it should as the flight progressed and I was between rough patches with smooth air/light chop inside clouds climbing to FL240 in an attempt to get above the current cloud layer when the crash happened. There was zero lead into the crash, just sudden re-spawn of default flight.

Heavy sigh... :|

Roger

EDIT: Just to be clear, this is NOT a 'sim crash'. I am experiencing a 'plane crash'. In the past I have had plane crashes caused by super extreme weather that tore my plane apart midair when ASP4 goes bonkers.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Roger,

As mentioned, why not just switch off crash detection in P3D? It's pretty unrealistic anyway. Or at least untick "vehicle stress causes damage" which could be the culprit here if extreme wind shear spikes are causing this sim to detect an overspeed crash.

Thanks,
Nick

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Nick - A2A wrote:Roger,

As mentioned, why not just switch off crash detection in P3D? It's pretty unrealistic anyway. Or at least untick "vehicle stress causes damage" which could be the culprit here if extreme wind shear spikes are causing this sim to detect an overspeed crash.

Thanks,
Nick
Hello Nick and thanks for your input.

I have always had trouble with turning crash detect off. For one reason only actually. If I fly into a tree on final, I don't properly plan my ascent out of the valley or I taxi into the ditch then I deserve the pay the price for my inadequacies. I do have stress damage disabled to allow only A2A to manage that. I have crash with dynamic objects disabled for multiplayer purposes and because en-game ATC are idiots.

I appreciate your position on this but if I wanted to fly without consequences I would not be flying A2A aircraft exclusively. Like when I landed my B-17 with gear retracted with over 300 hours on her. As much as I would have liked to "cheat" my way out of that I have only myself to blame and I will pay the price. I have learned to backup my data files prior to each flight so I only end up loosing the hours spent on that flight. Phantom crash boxes have embedded very deep into my brain that 'Backup', 'Backup', Backup' is vitally important.

I will figure this out but with the available time I have it might take a few weeks. I imagine I have well over 4500 hours in flight simming and this is something new to me. There is always a reason, I just need to find 'n' fix it.

Cheers
Roger

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

More testing done,

Plane crash in the following situations. All crashes in South America from SUMU to SCEL. FL200-230. Actually, I have not had a successful flight sense my first crash, 5-6 in all now.

A2A Lockheed Constellation
A2A P51 Mustang Civilian
All Orbx Global
All Orbx NA regions
With & Without ACG Duxford
With & Without ASP4
Crash Detect Enabled
Stress Damage Disabled
In foul or fair weather
FSUIPC 5.141e
LINDA v3.0.8
Stock Prepar3D.cfg except for adding the line < TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 > under [TERRAIN]. I've had many flights with this tweak prior to issue.

Could this be SimConnect needing reinstalled? I have 6 folders inside ~Prepar3D v4\redist\Interface and I'm not sure which folders I should/should not run the simconnect.msi in.
I suppose a flight in a stock aircraft might be next to test if it is an A2A conflict with something.

I have flown over this area several times in the past with no issues which should weed out the chances of scenery issues.

Roger

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

WB_FlashOver wrote:Could this be SimConnect needing reinstalled? I have 6 folders inside ~Prepar3D v4\redist\Interface and I'm not sure which folders I should/should not run the simconnect.msi in.
Hello Roger,

Reinstalling SimConnect certainly won't do any harm. I'd be surprised if it resolves the issue, but you never know. The one to install is in this folder:

C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib

I appreciate your perspective on preferring not to turn off crash detection in the sim. In this case, have you tried a test flight in another completely different location on the globe?

Thanks,
Nick

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Nick - A2A wrote: I appreciate your perspective on preferring not to turn off crash detection in the sim. In this case, have you tried a test flight in another completely different location on the globe?

Thanks,
Nick
Absolutely Nick. My plan is to try a stock aircraft on same route first and if it persists then try another location. Trouble shooting is always a challenge and I don't mean that in a bad way. There is a satisfaction to sorting out issues even if it is a pain in the putooty. :mrgreen:

I'll keep working on it.

Cheers
Roger

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Ok, so a few more flights and the following is becoming a constant. I'm flying a VOR from Carrasco Intl SUMU to El Tepual Intl SCTE.
Waypoints are;

SUMU (departure)
CRR (DVOR)
DIL (DVOR)
OEL (DVOR)
BAR (DVOR)
SCTE (destination).

I did not notice the first 4-5 attempts but over the last 4 attempts I am noticing that the crash comes about 3-5 NM outbound of DVOR OEL.

Tested items are;

A2A Aircraft Connie & P51 Civ
Stock aircraft Baron 58
ASP4 running/not running
ACG Duxford enabled/disabled
ALL FreeMeshX active/inactive
Absolutely NO other add-on scenery in South America
All FTX Global add-ons
All FTX NA region add-ons
All FTX freeware airport add-ons
FTX Jackson Hole, Ketchican & Juneau
AI Traffic NA
FL130 to 230 EDIT: All flights have been in this altitude range

The only other scenery I have in South America is FTX Global openLC South America. I suppose I will disable it on next attempt.

Would someone wish to test fly this route for me on their system? Link to P3Dv4 flight plan. It is possible that one does not have to fly the entire plan but I have been to keep things consistent. I also crashed when heading North East from SUMU once over the last 2 weeks.

Any further thoughts on this? I suppose the next step is to remove openLC South America and see what happens.
Thanks for your input on this fellas.

I have been running system monitoring software OpenHardwareMonitor with onscreen gadget & RemoteSystemMonitor for several years. Over the past 6 months or so these programs have become more and more problematic with long pauses (3-6+ seconds at a time) to my system no matter if watching YouTube, Simming, Microsoft Office, etc. I have uninstalled them, deleted all remnants and cleaned the registry which has removed the pauses. I was thinking that maybe Alan was on to something with SimConnect loosing connection due to the pauses and was hoping that was it but alas, it is not. Oh, Oh Oh, just had another thought. Maybe reinstall Orbx Libraries? Or maybe I should take this to FTX forums? Well, maybe after I narrow it down more.

Special note to Nick-A2A. Sir, you are much appreciated by myself and others here within the forum family. Thanks so much for all you do.

Cheers
Roger

EDIT: Sorry, I did reinstall SimConnect before my flights this weekend.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
What happens if you fly between SAZQ and SA29 within a 5 to 10 nm range of VOR OEL.
See if you still get the crash in different aircraft , with/without weather engine , i just did a flight between these two airports at 4000ft without weather engine ASN running , i had no mountains or high terrain of any kind to deal with , as i only have standard scenery in this area of my FSXA , and no crash.
Regards Alan. 8)

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Roger,

SUMU is one of my regular stops in the L049, so flying this flight plan of yours wasn't a stretch from my normal flying. The SUMU to SCEL you mentioned is a frequent route.

Just took off in the LO49, and should be passing that crash point of yours about 19:30 EST this evening.

A2A Aircraft Connie
ASP4 running
Pilot's Global Ultimate Mesh = Active
Ground Environment X Prepar3D World Edition = Active
UTX = Full & Active
LatinVFR SUMU
LatinVFR SCEL v2
Just Flight - Traffic Global AI = Active
FL180 <<< Decided to split the difference between your FL130 & FL230.

Will post results at OEL and at the end of flight.

……………………………….
Added:
Might run a few minutes behind schedule. There's a 44kt headwind at FL180. :)
……………………………….

Results:
-Just passed OEL and am about 10 miles outbound. No problems.
-Reached SCTE with no problems.

Forest
FAC257

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

FAC257 wrote:
Results:
-Just passed OEL and am about 10 miles outbound. No problems.
-Reached SCTE with no problems.

Forest
Thank you so much Forest. I've flown this area before as well. I appreciate you flying this. I'm sure something is dorked up on my system. I will continue to research it and see what pans out.

Cheers
Roger

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”