Measurement error with AFK: Distance?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Measurement error with AFK: Distance?

Post by EnDSchultz »

So I made the mistake of trying to do a flight to Honolulu which was an overnighter, I looked at my cumulative flight distance in the GPS and it was about 2200nm. So I set an AFK distance to pause the sim after 2050 miles, figuring that would give me plenty of wiggle room to plan for a descent when I got back. Instead, I woke up to find my Connie (using the default FSX autopilot mode) paused while circling over the top of my destination. What on earth could have happened? At first I thought maybe it was measuring air rather than ground distance traveled, but I had a headwind the whole flight so if anything it should have paused too early. I also flew for about 30 minutes prior to going to bed and the spread between the timer distance and my GPS distance seemed to leave the intended 150nm gap, so whatever error is accruing here must be inconsistent or non-linear.

To summarize: About 2 hours into my ~9 hour flight, I turned on a distance AFK timer to pause the sim about 150nm prior to my destination. I found the sim paused circling over my destination with ~9 hours on the flight time. This means that somehow my GPS distance and the AFK timer's distance were accruing a disparity of no less than 20nm per hour of flight time.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”