Low cruise speed

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Low cruise speed

Post by R-2800-59 »

Dear support team,

although landing gear is retracted, flaps are up, landing lights retracted and engines allright with 29" at 2200rpm auto lean, the IAS is only at or above 140kts.
Groundspeed is lower than expected as well, even with given tailwind I am only at 220kts.

What did I do wrong? Is it a bug? No sign of difficulties in maintenance hangar, flight crew is pleased as well.
Takeoff and landing appears to be normal. This is my second flight like this...

Thanks for your help.

FSX SE with AS16.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: Low cruise speed

Post by CAPFlyer »

1) Were you flying in icing conditions?
2) Where were your cowl flaps positioned?
3) Do you have an axis on your controls assigned to spoilers?

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

No icing conditions observed.
My cowl flaps are controlled by the FE and he keeps them at about 10 to 15% open.Oil cooler flaps nearly shut.
No axis on spoilers but i will check the spoiler function now by the assigned button

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

You were right. The issue was caused by triggered spoilers. Didn't know the constellation should have any, seems strange to me, maybe a leftover piece in programming.
Glad to have this sorted out, thank you CAPflyer!!!!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I think it more an FSXA/FSXSE issue regards to spoiler key , causing drag on aircraft that have no spoilers.
regards alan. 8)

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Developers will often use the default MSFS spoiler interface, on aircraft without spoilers installed, to supplement the flight model. usually this is related to adding the drag of certain items which the simulator would not account for otherwise. if the aircraft cockpit does not have a spoiler control (and it's anything of higher quality than basic freeware)... it's best to ensure nothing is commanding the MSFS spoiler position so it can be handled by the aircraft's gauge code.

Glad we found the problem!

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

R-2800-59 wrote:You were right. The issue was caused by triggered spoilers. Didn't know the constellation should have any, seems strange to me, maybe a leftover piece in programming.
Glad to have this sorted out, thank you CAPflyer!!!!
Not a problem. As was suggested below, even if the airplane doesn't have spoilers, some developers (including A2A), use that axis to allow management of other things that create drag on the airplane (like the cowl flaps) since that drag isn't directly modeled in FS. Other devs have used it to simulate icing better. If you have it assigned as an axis, it can get "stuck" because of inadvertent transients in the controller that you're not aware of, which then results in what you saw - the plane acting like it's permanently slow. Typically, if you just cycle the axis once and then deactivate it, you will solve the problem and let the gauge resume control.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Glad you figured out the problem. I hope nobody from A2A is looking at this thread and decides that they need to remove the secret speed brakes in the next update. I use that feature from time to time to help during descent. Hey - it's not really cheating. My airplane just happens to have the prototype scaled up P-38L dive brake mod!

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 14 Feb 2019, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Paughco wrote:Hey - it's not really cheating.
Not to knock your style, but a good old fashioned well located hold is a great way to loose excess altitude. :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”