Perf figures 280 vs 300hp?

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Perf figures 280 vs 300hp?

Post by ryanbatc »

The more powerful engine (which I'm using "cue tim taylor MORE POWER") - how does it change the V speeds and power tables?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Perf figures 280 vs 300hp?

Post by Scott - A2A »

I am looking at some numbers now. Let me get the definitive numbers and get back.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

balaton
Airman

Post by balaton »

+ 1 guys! Waiting at least for some basic numbers like climb power, 75% cruise, 65% cruise, Fuel Flows, etc.
Differences in engine handling? Like start up procedure, leaning? ROP or LOP?
I will start a search on the net for some manual on that.
Anyway, is the IO-550 a factory option or an STC? Do the V35B's equiped with this engine have a separte Flight manual? Or it is a Flight Manual Supplement?

Cheers,

Tamas

balaton
Airman

Post by balaton »

Hi All,

In the meantime I've found this (for the B36)
http://www.concordflyingclub.com/CFC/do ... lement.pdf
I think it answers our questions.

Cheers,

Tamas

skyhawkii
Airman

Post by skyhawkii »

I did some short flights for comparing both engines yesterday. Nothing precise, I just set the Wind to 0, climbed at 3000ft, cruised straight along for 30nm and watched the rate of climb and cruise speed numbers. Powersetting was 24/2400 and leaned to 14 gal/h.
I didn't see much difference between those engines. The performance increase was minimal. Maybe 3-5 kts faster and a little bit better on climb. But that's what I expected. We talk about very small numbers. The IO-550 got "only" additional 15 hp compared to the 520. That's about 5% more power, nothing more.
Flight planning and calculation shouldn't significantly change, because the minimal performanche increase results in a minimal higher fuel burn. So the range profile does not change. Some people say the 550 performs significantly better at higher altitudes due to the larger displacement. But I didn't figure it out yet. Maybe Scott can tell us something about it?

I found an interesting website with technical flying stuff:
http://www.nar-associates.com/technical ... lying.html

If you scroll down there are some flight test articles about popular upgardes for the Bo (Tip Tanks, VCs, etc.) And there is an article which compares both engines: http://www.nar-associates.com/technical ... screen.pdf
It confirmes my observations during my test flights. If you are looking for some numbers, this article will give you an idea.

That's the cool thing about Accusim. You are not just flying your airplane. You get into all the technical stuff of aircraft ownership.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”