Little things that make the difference

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Little things that make the difference

Post by AKar »

With this latest iteration of Accusim GA engine, it quickly becomes obvious that things have been enhanced under the hood, so to speak.

Ground leaning has been an active discussion topic since the 172, and with this new simulation, we're given more relevant real-life cues to that than ever before. Previously when flying from at or about sea level airports, our ground leaning was basically based on pulling the mixture back until the engine starts coughing, and then advancing some. Let us see what happens in the current simulation before the engine starts to starve from the lack of fuel.

Here we are idling at 800 rpm with full-rich mixture. Note carefully the position of the fuel flow and the engine rpm gauge.

Now, the only change I do is pulling back the mixture. Note what happens.

Note the rpm rises some 50 to 70 revs per minute without me adjusting the throttle at all.

What's going on here? For many real life aviators it is probably all clear but it has not been all obvious in the simulator before.

The engine's idle mixture setting (throttle full back and mixture full rich) is adjusted in a specific way by the tech. The resulting mixture is very rich. This is to allow for cold starting and initial warmup of those big air-cooled jugs where a portion of the fuel going into the cylinders condenses on the cool walls of it and doesn't participate to the combustible mixture. But warming up, this mixture can be too rich for nice, clean burning and may result in fouled plugs etc. This is why we are recommended to lean the engine for ground operations.

But while doing that we actually change the mixture setting from the very rich towards and through the best power for that very low throttle setting. This will cause a noticeable increase in engine's rpm before it starts falling back down again if you lean far enough. This effect will give you a great cue for your ground leaning, so you don't need to hunt for the cough point of the engine.

Not only that, this is an important piece of realism. For best results and a good compromise, the idle mixture is usually adjusted by the book so that approximately 50 rpm increase in engine speed is noted while leaning from full rich. It is a part of checking the engine to note for such a rise and having that present in the simulator is convincing in that the things progress under that hood! :)

-Esa

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Re: Little things that make the difference

Post by Medtner »

Yeah, this was one of the first things in noticed when having started the Bonanza the first time. I hope this is tech that can be retrofitted to the older aircraft.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

I also noticed this, and it was a really positive surprise.
As a next step I could imagine finally getting a digital engine analyzer, and with GMIJectorts as a probable sponsor we could dive into the topic of LOP operations.. *dream*

Gesendet von meinem F8331 mit Tapatalk
Kind regards, Matthias

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Another Accu-sim observation on the Bonanza: there are two ways to install the control lock. 1) click "control lock" in the Shft+3 window, or 2) click on the control lock device as it sits in the left side pocket. Hey! All I get is a mechanical noise! Oh - it only installs by method 2 if I manually pull the control wheel all the way back, thereby aligning the control lock holes on the control column. Accu-sim!

Seeya
ATB

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Paughco wrote:Another Accu-sim observation on the Bonanza: there are two ways to install the control lock. 1) click "control lock" in the Shft+3 window, or 2) click on the control lock device as it sits in the left side pocket. Hey! All I get is a mechanical noise! Oh - it only installs by method 2 if I manually pull the control wheel all the way back, thereby aligning the control lock holes on the control column. Accu-sim!

Seeya
ATB
Speaking of control locks. Has anyone looked closely at the shaft going into the instrument panel? Where the hole for the control lock goes?

When turning the yoke the shaft inside moves, and the holes align/disalign themselves. Completely unneccessary detail, but I love it. And by unneccessary I mean unusual. All those small pieces matter in terms of immersion and realism.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Thanks for the post Esa.

Another thing to try is leaning out the engine and then apply full throttle (this is what happens when you do your pre-taxi leaning then forget to push the mixture full rich before takeoff). We didn't mention this in the features, but this is all a result of new physics in the fuel delivery system. It never ends...

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Paughco wrote:Another Accu-sim observation on the Bonanza: there are two ways to install the control lock. 1) click "control lock" in the Shft+3 window, or 2) click on the control lock device as it sits in the left side pocket. Hey! All I get is a mechanical noise! Oh - it only installs by method 2 if I manually pull the control wheel all the way back, thereby aligning the control lock holes on the control column. Accu-sim!
True, but it's been this way since the 172 ;)
The Pipers are 'special' as they don't have a real mechanical lock, but the Cessnas work pretty much the same way as you described.
Kind regards, Matthias

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Scott - A2A wrote:Thanks for the post Esa.

Another thing to try is leaning out the engine and then apply full throttle (this is what happens when you do your pre-taxi leaning then forget to push the mixture full rich before takeoff). We didn't mention this in the features, but this is all a result of new physics in the fuel delivery system. It never ends...

Scott.
This exact thing happened on my second flight as a private pilot. Was taking my best friend up flying, wondered why the engine started sputtering when I advanced the power for run-up... how embarrassing! :mrgreen:

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

EnDSchultz wrote:
Scott - A2A wrote:Thanks for the post Esa.

Scott.
This exact thing happened on my second flight as a private pilot. Was taking my best friend up flying, wondered why the engine started sputtering when I advanced the power for run-up... how embarrassing! :mrgreen:
This is also precisely the reason why they instruct to lean the engine brutally, to the verge of stalling, for ground operations. That way it is impossible to cause damage by attempting takeoff with mixture forgotten to lean setting. Which is less embarrassing, stalling the engine or holing the pistons, you'd be the judge. :D

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”