Nice flight in the Bonanza today

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Nice flight in the Bonanza today

Post by Paughco »

Flew N313W from Muskogee Davis Regional (KMKO) to Dodge City (KDDC), using real weather. There were two nasty fronts between Muskogee and Dodge. I had SkyVector on my browser, and could use it as a sort of poor man's weather radar by hitting Alt+tab to see what was in store in front of the airplane from time to time. After taking we climbed to 8,500 feet. At first it looked like I only needed to climb to maybe 12,000 and we'd be over the tops of the first line of clouds. Nope, it wasn't just a little line of clouds, it was turning into thunderheads, complete with lightning. Oh well, I'd have to go under it. I picked the safest looking path I could find, pulled some power and lowered the nose. We were fully in the clouds. Had to pull out all the power (gear warning adding to the general stress level - sorry about shock cooling), but the only way I could lose altitude was to keep the nose down and dive. I focused carefully on the artificial horizon to keep the wings level and the nose down. We were just under the yellow arc. Extreme turbulence made for a rough ride inside the airplane. Finally we dropped out of the clouds and things smoothed out. I got her down to 2,500 feet and put the power back in. The rest of the flight was pretty uneventful, except KDDC had winds out of 325 at 21 knots. Fortunately they have a Rwy 32, so we were able to land with no drama. Secured the airplane and went looking for the Long Branch Saloon. Turns out Miss Kitty and the Long Branch are long gone.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”