VOR question

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
Panagiotis
Airman

VOR question

Post by Panagiotis »

Good morning Pilots,

I have a question about vor navigation, i made a simple flight plan with 3 vor stations as way points, after tuning on the second vor the hsi was showing from instead to, the correct heading was selected from obs, in my understanding is that there was probably another one nearest to my aircraft on the same frequency, if this is true how can anyone intercept the correct vor?

Thank you.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: VOR question

Post by AKar »

There should not be two nearby stations with the same frequency. What was your routing?

-Esa

Panagiotis
Airman

Post by Panagiotis »

AKar wrote:There should not be two nearby stations with the same frequency. What was your routing?

-Esa
[A] LGRP 0.00
PAR 108.60
[C] PHA 117.90
[D] LCA 112.80
[E] LCLK 0.00
The Vor in question is PHA

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Okay, you are probably picking Izmir Adnan Menderes VOR (MEN). You probably want to navigate Rhodos outbound a bit further before switching over.

-Esa

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Panagiotis wrote:if this is true how can anyone intercept the correct vor?
Positive identification. As a new student pilot, your instructor will stress the importance of proper identification before using any navigation source (even if it looks correct).
Learn to implement the following workflow:
1)Reception
2)Identification
3)Navigation

In the Bonanza identification is accomplished by listening to the morse code through the "ident" function of the avionics.
It is best practice to use the most accurate navigation source at any time for your flight. Since the VOR you just passed is substantially closer than the one 240nm ahead of you. You would use PAR for the first 120nm, and then at the halfway point, tune and identify PHA for the remainder.

This brings up another concern about your flight. At least according to the USA's FAA specifications, the max reception range for a VOR at Bonanza altitudes is 40nm. This can sometimes be greater in the real world, and you can be guaranteed reception along charted VOR defined airways. This capability is flight tested. However flight simulator does not usually provide such capability, and you can regularly expect to loose reception even on long segments of published airways if you go outside of the defined "service volumes." Thus, in your posted flight plan, I would expect you to go around 160nm between PAR and PHA with no navigation information.

Of course, we all learn bad habits in simulators... and I admit I fail to properly identify a lot, as the consequence of failure is only wasted time or embarrassment :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”