My Icing Encounter

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
szln6z
Airman

My Icing Encounter

Post by szln6z »

I have always thought that the icing effect in P3D/ASA is pretty much non-existent. So, because I enjoy flying in inclement weather, I decided to launch the V35B during freezing rain this morning. Yeah, well, apparently it is simulated. I got it back on the ground, amazingly, but flew it in IMC, with the stall warning chirping, right aileron to maintain wings level, max power and minimal climb, plus a close-in ILS. Ugliest landing ever, but it was on the runway.

Anyway, the point is that I'm encouraged to see that P3D/ASA does have some sort of icing. I will bear this in mind the next time I want the challenge of bad WX!

James

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: My Icing Encounter

Post by Caldemeyn »

What is your hangar situation ? Anything broken maybe ? (I ask becouse of the aileron thing, i wouldn't count on p3d icing to be able to ice assymetrically :) )

Maybe asa did this

szln6z
Airman

Post by szln6z »

Yeah, I hear ya; I thought it was unusual too. But I had no issues with the ailerons, or anything for that matter.
I'm guessing it's just weird modeling of icing conditions.

James

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Problem I have with the current icing simulation in FSX/P3D is that the effects of ice magically evaporate as soon as you leave conditions where it would accumulate. Flying through freezing rain will get you in trouble very quickly, but as soon as you're in the clear, even if air temps are still below freezing, aircraft performance quickly returns to normal. This greatly diminishes the risk of icing over a prolonged flight because you will probably be transitioning in and out of icing conditions (especially when using a weather plugin) and it simply doesn't accumulate as a result.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”