First I had flap failure, then return flight aileron failure

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
UKJim
Senior Airman

First I had flap failure, then return flight aileron failure

Post by UKJim »

I had to put flaps back up to stop the plane pulling to the left, then land without flaps. Luckily I was at EGNX with a good long runway and plenty of time to land too.

Then the aileron failure - unfortunately could not show this in flight, but I had full left yoke and no movement at all - so hard to land when all you got is rudder :)

Good times - thanks A2A :)

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Re: First I had flap failure, then return flight aileron fai

Post by Les Parson »

Did you check the Maintenance Hangar prior to departure?

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

Les Parson wrote:Did you check the Maintenance Hangar prior to departure?
No as I like to experience these failures without knowing it's quite fun. Obviously in the real world you would always do a walk around, but in the sim it's good to let it fail :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Did your virtual self survive both the emergency issues?
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Did your virtual self survive both the emergency issues?
I did indeed - luckily the flap was not jammed, so I could land without flaps. The aileron failure was a twitchy one though, very difficult to roll left when you don't have roll :)

I like letting these things happen as it shows what outstanding work A2A do in terms of modelling and immersion. I recommend everyone to not every do a walkaround and wait for the 'surprise'

Cheers,

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hello UKJim,

Exciting experience you had there in your plane. Thanks for sharing with us!
I think you should have a serious conversation with your mechanic. :mrgreen:

Cheerz,
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

LZ-WIL wrote:Hello UKJim,

Exciting experience you had there in your plane. Thanks for sharing with us!
I think you should have a serious conversation with your mechanic. :mrgreen:

Cheerz,
Vladi
Thanks for your comment. If you like watching live streams on twitch, check out my stream - I stream A2A planes A LOT!
Address is in my signature below ;)

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

The inspiration behind Accu-Sim is simply trying to reproduce the unpredictability and consequences of things that happen while flying. In the past six years I've replaced or rebuilt every component in our Comanche engine bay other than the engine block and cylinders. Recently our mechanical fuel pump started to fail, and it was so interesting seeing how it was failing and what was seen in the cockpit.

Some things I've been fortunate enough not to have experienced, like a split flap condition or control surface failure. Aside from a cabin fire, these are the most scary mechanical issues you can have in an airplane. After all, if you lose the engine you still have a perfectly good flying glider.

But the way the accusim engine is all rigged, so many possible failures and wear points can go. All extremely unlikely, but when you total up a load of these extremely unlikely events you end up with a sense of depth and life to an airplane.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

How guys you're so "lucky" to get all those emergencies? :lol: I've flown A2A for so long and haven't had anything yet. And I also prefer not to check the maintenance hangar every time, because it's just how you fly in the real world: your everyday preflight inspection is never as deep as the A2A maintenance hangar.

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

Scott - A2A wrote:The inspiration behind Accu-Sim is simply trying to reproduce the unpredictability and consequences of things that happen while flying. In the past six years I've replaced or rebuilt every component in our Comanche engine bay other than the engine block and cylinders. Recently our mechanical fuel pump started to fail, and it was so interesting seeing how it was failing and what was seen in the cockpit.

Some things I've been fortunate enough not to have experienced, like a split flap condition or control surface failure. Aside from a cabin fire, these are the most scary mechanical issues you can have in an airplane. After all, if you lose the engine you still have a perfectly good flying glider.

But the way the accusim engine is all rigged, so many possible failures and wear points can go. All extremely unlikely, but when you total up a load of these extremely unlikely events you end up with a sense of depth and life to an airplane.

Scott.
I think it is done well and like you say fascinating when things go wrong. It also tests your piloting skills to see how you handle it.

The other thing to do is take it to the next level - if something is not feeling right, don't go to an external view to see what it is, try and figure it out and land. It's all good fun.

I have flown around 280 hours on my A2A Comanche and I have only had a handful of failures. This was a rare occurrence with the Bo I'm sure. Looking forward to my first dial failure now ;)

Cheers
Jim

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

As you probably know, the Bo had two airspeed limitations for the flaps, one for approach flaps and one for the rest. But it seems very sensitive to that threshold. I've had flap jams in flight twice in 200 hours from going just barely beyond 10 degrees in the flap indicator whilst in the approach flap regime. Always be conservative with that first flap deployment. A sudden unexpected rolling moment in IMC while on approach is very annoying... per simulated experience.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”