Engine starting problem, Take off and landing very difficult

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
haseen
Airman

Engine starting problem, Take off and landing very difficult

Post by haseen »

Dear:

I purchased/downloaded from Just Flight/installed A2A Beechcraft V35 Bonanza in my P3D v4.

1. I am following the checklist. But engine does not start at the first attempt..requires several attempts. And I am losing confidence that I can start Bonanza engine at all!
2. After takeoff with full power the the plane becomes uncontrollable. I saw "Test Drive" A2A Bonanza, he took off with 20 inch of power! Not full power.
3. During approch at 70 kts with full flaps, I can not see my landing spot on the runway because of nose up attitude.

Please help me to fly this plane.

Regards,

Haseen Ahmad.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Engine starting problem, Take off and landing very diffi

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Haseen,
haseen wrote:1. I am following the checklist. But engine does not start at the first attempt..requires several attempts. And I am losing confidence that I can start Bonanza engine at all!
When priming the engine from cold with the aux fuel pump, only run it long enough that the fuel flow needle reaches the green arc on the gauge and then turn it off. Over-priming is a common problem.
haseen wrote:2. After takeoff with full power the the plane becomes uncontrollable. I saw "Test Drive" A2A Bonanza, he took off with 20 inch of power! Not full power.
It's important to make a careful additional right rudder input when you lift the nose and rotate. This is especially true if you're rotating at or close to max gross weight. If you have ample runway available, rotating smoothly at around 80 KIAS will moderate the amount of right rudder needed. However, it's still possible to get the aircraft airborne at around 70 KIAS; it just needs a greater right rudder input.

Incidentally, I took a look at the vid you mention and it does look like the throttle is only being opened partially. Needless-to-say, this isn't recommended. :)
haseen wrote:3. During approch at 70 kts with full flaps, I can not see my landing spot on the runway because of nose up attitude.
Sounds like you're flying the approach too slowly for your weight. Whilst the POH mentions an 'approach' speed of 70 kts, typically you should aim to fly most of the approach at a speed of at least 90 KIAS. Please read the following comment from one of the beta testers who owns and operates a V35.
BonanzaDude wrote:The landing approach speed of 70 knots isn't really what I consider an approach speed. For actual approaches there are 2 speeds which are 90 and 120 based on your airplane. In the Bonanza there have been times when I have been asked to keep my speed up when I have a commercial plane behind me and I adjust the following based on that. Typically I shoot for 70 knots over the threshold.

Here is how I setup my approach when on a visual approach. Once in the pattern downwind mid field I put gear down, once abeam to the end of the runway I fly 2500 RPM and pull the power back to 18" of MP. This gives me a good 90+or- knot approach speed with the gear down and about -500 fpm descent. The Bonanza that I fly doesn't have specific settings for APP and FULL flaps, so on base leg I push down the lever and count to 10 to get APP flaps. I don't always land with full flaps unless it's a short field.

On an instrument approach I get slowed down to my approach speed before getting my final altitude for the approach. Once I get 1 bar above the GS for the ILS or LNAV GPS approach gear goes down. Once the plane is stable I will go 10 seconds of flaps and land with APP flaps. If it has an approach procedure it likely won't be a short field landing.
So, as mentioned above, 70 KIAS should be considered more a target threshold speed rather than a speed to fly the whole approach at.

Thanks,
Nick

haseen
Airman

Post by haseen »

Dear Nick:

Thanks for your reply.
1. Engine start: I am trying to start Bonanza engine at VGJR, elev. approx. 24 ft. Temp. I chose 27 C, baro 1005 hPa.
A. I use Logitech Flight yoke system. At 27 C, do I need to prime engine?
B. i) How do I know I have primed properly?
ii) How do I know engine is flooded?
C. "Throttle crack 1/4".. how do I measure 1/4" in joystick throttle? Does it have to be that precise?
D. During cranking, do I have to move throttle lever back and forth several times?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Haseen Ahmad.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

haseen wrote:1. Engine start: I am trying to start Bonanza engine at VGJR, elev. approx. 24 ft. Temp. I chose 27 C, baro 1005 hPa.
A. I use Logitech Flight yoke system. At 27 C, do I need to prime engine?
That's a pretty hot day. I think you'll barely need to prime at all. Try without any priming to start.
haseen wrote:B. i) How do I know I have primed properly?
There's no hard-and-fast rule; it's just a case of judging whether you need to prime and how long to prime for based on the temperature. If you've judged correctly... The engine should start. The point to emphasise is don't overuse the primer.
haseen wrote:ii) How do I know engine is flooded?
The maintenance hangar (Shift 7) will indicate this.
haseen wrote:C. "Throttle crack 1/4".. how do I measure 1/4" in joystick throttle? Does it have to be that precise?
No, not really. Just open it by 10-15%. Opening a bit further won't do any harm in the sim.
haseen wrote:D. During cranking, do I have to move throttle lever back and forth several times?
No, it's not necessary to 'pump' the throttle during engine start.

Thanks,
Nick

haseen
Airman

Post by haseen »

Dear NicK:

I am having problems with Bonanza V35 as under:

1. Flight controls get locked automatically with red flag during flight controls check (column forward) during taxi out, I removed the control lock before start though!

2. During take off roll with full power, the plane (Bonanza V35) yaws to left and right, becomes uncontrollable, exit runway and then crashes. This is very serious. I also use A2A Piper Cherokee, Piper Comanche and Cessna 182T in FS X Steam. But no such problem.

Kindly help.

Regards,

Haseen Ahmad.

haseen
Airman

Post by haseen »

Dear:

My support queries of 8 Nov 2018 are not yet attended.

Please help.

Haseen Ahmad.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Haseen,

Sorry about the somewhat delayed response to your most recent questions.
haseen wrote:1. Flight controls get locked automatically with red flag during flight controls check (column forward) during taxi out, I removed the control lock before start though!
The only way I could reproduce this was by clicking the 'control lock' text in the shift 3 menu while simultaneously pulling back on the yoke. Please can you let us know exactly how you're installing and removing the control lock? (i.e. via clicking in the virtual cokpit, on the Shift 3 menu, or with the 'cold & dark' option?)
haseen wrote:2. During take off roll with full power, the plane (Bonanza V35) yaws to left and right, becomes uncontrollable, exit runway and then crashes. This is very serious. I also use A2A Piper Cherokee, Piper Comanche and Cessna 182T in FS X Steam. But no such problem.
You'll tend to find that the yaw damping of the Bonanza isn't as effective as in the other aircraft you mention due to the presence of that V-tail. Generally speaking, this translates to rudder inputs needing a bit more finesse during all stages of flight. However, this will be especially true if the simulator is running with fairly low frame rates and/or if you have a significant 'null zone' set up with your rudder hardware. Could you give us a little bit more info about your hardware and your typical FPS with the Bonanza during take-off. Also, are you using any weather add-ons when this behaviour occurs?

Thanks,
Nick

haseen
Airman

Post by haseen »

Dear NicK:

1. In shift-3 menu I select 'cold and dark' situation. I remove/install control lock by clicking on the lock.

2. Frame rate is 50 to 60. Rudder null zone is 34, sensitivity 64 i e default setting. I use Logitech Flight yoke &rudder pedals. I don't use any add-on weather.

Regards,

Haseen.

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Haseen,
The null should be at 0, or 1 and sensitivity at 127. Zero null and full sensitivity on ALL controls -rudder, brakes, elevator & aileron.

These setting will make the handling more realistic and will improve handling. The Bonanza really requires a gentle touch on the controls. Any sudden, hard input from the pilot will give you a lot of grief!

Give these settings a try and see if it helps your take-offs.

Lyn
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”