Transponder issue

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Jarek
Senior Airman

Transponder issue

Post by Jarek »

It look like it is transmitting when turned off or in standby. Any code set is immediately known by ATC, regardless of unit state.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Transponder issue

Post by Nick - A2A »

Jarek,

Yes, I think this is a limitation of the sim platform itself. Take any default aircraft, fail the transponder and you'll note that it still functions as if switched on when tuned automatically via the ATC menu.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any way to disable the FSX/P3D 'auto-tune' feature when using the built in ATC.

Thanks,
Nick

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

Hi Nick,

Acknowledged for defaults, but it looks like this it is somehow possible.
I have other aircraft here that does this. Indeed, when you get clearance and code, unit indeed switches automatically from off to active (so at least knob in Bo may change it's position to ALT). If I turn unit off (which I believe could be also done programmatically), I'm getting instructions from default ATC: "XYZ, reset transponder. squawk 1234".

I thought that it is some Bo-specific problem, but now it's more like "request for enhancement" for the future. This could be a nice addition to the "things have consequences" concept that is so great in your airplane models.

Jarek

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Jarek,
Jarek wrote:If I turn unit off (which I believe could be also done programmatically), I'm getting instructions from default ATC: "XYZ, reset transponder. squawk 1234".
Hmm, I don't think it's possible to set the transponder to a 'switched off' state and the off position used here sets the device to 'failed'. However, as we can see, the sim is still able to read the squawk code. For the other product you mention, I wonder if it has a LCD display which is unlit when switched off, allowing the transponder to be set to a spoof code such as '0000' which would cause the default ATC to respond as you describe.

Nick

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

Yes, this is popular Collins RTU in much bigger bird.
It could be an option to reset to something like 7600 if unit is in off position (without changing digits on the front panel), even after few seconds. I never went deeply into gauge programming but maybe this is doable. Just one of the ideas.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”