No external sound effects? (FSX Steam)

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
vonshep
Airman Basic

No external sound effects? (FSX Steam)

Post by vonshep »

I bought the plane yesterday (FSX), which is a fantastic plane. I love the realism, and it reminds me of what was done with the Reality Expansion Pack for a few aircraft in X-Plane. I've noticed that there are no external sound effects if I switch to Spot view. Should there be, and where would I turn them on?

Thanks.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: No external sound effects? (FSX Steam)

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello vonshep - welcome to the forums.

There should indeed be external engine sound effects in spot view. If they're not present, are you using any camera add-ons such as ChasePlane or EZdok for defining external views?

Thanks,
Nick

vonshep
Airman Basic

Post by vonshep »

Thanks for replying.

I wanted to try a few things before posting again. I don't use any 3rd party camera software. I have a boxed copy of FSX Gold, and I installed the Bonanza V35 there. I have external sounds on that version. However the Steam Edition does not have external sounds (or they aren't very loud). I've featured the plane in a few of my videos. Here are a couple of specific spots in which I go to external view:

https://youtu.be/HSqgC2WrdNk?t=1543
https://youtu.be/moYF0xWjxsE?t=1831

Another thing that I've noticed is that on the Steam Edition, the aircraft windows (walkaround, maintenance bay, etc.) are HUGE! I always have to resize them to make them smaller. However on FSX Boxed, they are the size that they should be. If you watch from the following link, you'll see how big the windows are. Keep in mind that I'm playing in Windowed Mode (so that I can use two monitors).

https://youtu.be/HSqgC2WrdNk?t=198

FSX Boxed does not have the windows that big, and that's what I've been testing out the past several days.

It's a beautiful plane, and it'll be a joy to fly for my video series. There's still a few things I'm trying to get the hang of such as the Autopilot Mode Controller and the Autopilot Altitude Selector gauge. For autopilot, I could have altitude set but it won't allow me to turn the plane. Other times I could have the heading set, but I won't be able to go up or down. For the Autopilot Altitude Selector gauge, I guess I'm just not using it right. I have a similar gauge on the Carenado C90B King Air that I use for my FS2004 series, and it seemed easy enough to use. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong on the V35.

I'm definitely looking at getting some other planes from you folks for my world tour. The next one will most likely be the C182. You wouldn't by chance have any plans of making a retractable gear version, would you? It's one of my faves. :-)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi vonshep,

Thanks for linking the videos and for the additional info. Please can you just clarify one piece of info: do you have the Bonanza installed to both the FSX disk version and FSX-SE on the same PC?

For the external sounds, have you checked the volume control for "engines" on the FSX sound settings screen? It's hard to tell, but it seems that there may be external sounds in your video, but that they're playing very quietly. I believe the default for this silder is 50%, but perhaps try increasing to 100%.

The volume control in the Shift 3 menu only controls internal sound volume, and generally should be set to 100%. (The unlabelled slider beneath is related to simulated elevator force.)

As regards the oversized 2-D panels, the scale of these is set within the Aircraft Confiogurator using the 4K option. The default value is 100%, so it may be worth checking that this value hasn't been modified.

If we can resolve these issues, then hopefully we can help you out with any autopilot difficulties which remain.

Thanks,
Nick

vonshep
Airman Basic

Post by vonshep »

I realized before reading your reply that it was indeed my internal sound setting. I didn't think that sound was connected to the external sound, since there was a separate control for internal. It was originally set really low, because the voices I have for VoxATC are not very loud. I had to adjust everything accordingly and then turn my headset volume up for everything to sound right.

Yep, I did enable 4K resolution. I don't even have 4K, but I was fooling around with it anyway. I'm sure that's the problem, because I didn't change it when I installed the plane for FSX Box. To answer your question on that, I have a dual boot system. FSX Steam is on my Windows 7 install whereas the Boxed version is on Windows 10. (I was testing out a Carenado plane that wasn't working at 100% with the Steam edition.)

I've been doing some more practicing with the plane, and it's going so much better. (It helps to read the checklist, lol.) Absolutely enjoying the plane, and it's convinced me to buy the C178 and C172 in the future. I love the Carenado planes, but yours take it up that extra notch which really wins me over.

I'm still getting used to the Autopilot, but I'm getting a bit more proficient with it.

If you'd like to take a look at my latest "test flight", I have a link to my latest video which won't be published until Wednesday but you'll be able to view it now since I have the direct link: https://youtu.be/X1-N5bYY5-g

That one is with FSX Gold (boxed), and it's using MegaSceneryEarth and Nuvecta Landscapes for a flight from Chicago-Midway to Indianapolis International. It's my first, full cinematic video which is separate from the world tour series I'm doing. It was mainly a test to see if I was going to like the MegaScenery along with the Nuvecta autogen buildings. It works well. It also utilizes ActiveSky 2016, FS Genesis USA, World of AI, plus I mixed in real ATC recordings from LiveATC.net. The FPS isn't super smooth, since I'm on an i5 machine but they do get better once I leave the Chicago area. I think the only complaint I had was the border of Illinois and Indiana with the photorealistic scenery, because you could clearly see the border. (I used some editing tricks to hide it.) And there is also the problem of airport taxiways not lining up with the photorealism of the airport in MSE.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update vonshep, and good to hear the issues that you mentioned seem to be sorted. Glad you're enjoying the Bonanza too! :)

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”