Tunning Tips From PC Aviator

Buddye
BDG

Tunning Tips From PC Aviator

Post by Buddye »

I just installed MegaCity USA 2005 Dallas/Fort Worth for Flight Simulator 2004. It included tunning tips which really fixed my problems with FS 2004. These tips were developed by PC Aviator. I have not got my copy of BOB II as yet but these simple tunning tips could also help with BOB II based on my reading of CTD and FPS issues.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/bob_dev/P ... rmance.pdf

You might want to look at what is recommended.
Buddye
Last edited by Buddye on 11 May 2006, 17:49, edited 3 times in total.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Woodie
Airman First Class

Post by Woodie »

thanks for the tips, very usefull I still havent tested it with BOB2 but it seems windows is faster, opens folders a lot faster. I could't do one of the tweaks because i use an ATI drive though.
I'm going to fly now.

Daz Kebab
Airman First Class

Post by Daz Kebab »

That's got me wondering about my SATA raid drives. It's set as raid 0 and when during set up I was asked to select the chunk size. Thing is I can't remember what I selected. Could of been 16 or 32 but definitely not higher.

My point is, having the chunk size higher, say 64 or 128, would this increase write time performance for applications like B0B2 or is there no real noticeable change?

Any ideas?
Last edited by Daz Kebab on 08 Nov 2005, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

Woodie
Airman First Class

Post by Woodie »

seems to have helped a lot , been playing all this time without CTDs doing historical battles and tried some in campaign. I dont think it improved fps but it seems more stable. finally had a CTD but i didnt get an error report so it could be a different kind of CTD.

Deerslayer
Airman

Post by Deerslayer »

http://www.tweakguides.com/

Another very usual Tweak source.

NECyclone
Airman

Post by NECyclone »

This has helped me alot!!!

My computer with a 6800 GT went from having a stutter every 20 seconds to now every 1 min 30 secs. The min FPS went from 2-3 to 15-16. Thats playable for me :)

My sons copmuter with a 9800 Pro ( Yes I have two games...actually 1 with another one ordered Scott :) ) and it's gone from a stutter every 3-4 seconds to a stutter every 50 seconds. The min FPS went from 2-3 to 13-14...again playable to me.

Great help guys and good hunting :)

JohnnieJonzo
Airman First Class

Post by JohnnieJonzo »

Great tips, many thanks to the original poster. Alway looking to improve the performance of the old chugging XP !

Can someone tech-minded explain how to change the hex value in my registry to hex 26 as stated in the document? I am quite pc minded and know how to navigate around using regedit but didnt know what figure to change...is it the one in brackets at end of string? ie, my string read 0x00000002 (2)
Do i change just the one in brackets or also the number at end of zeros?

Only answer if you genuinely know the answer for sure please.

Secondly, how do i go about 'striping' the hard drives? It mentions it as the very last point, gaining a "200%" performance increase !? I have two drives so like the sound of that !! For some reason the doc doesnt explain how to do that last point.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Spec:- Amd Athlon 64 3200, Asus K8N-E deluxe, 1gb Ram, Asus N6600GT graphics card, Creative audigy 2 ZS soundcard.

MadRobbie1
BDG

Post by MadRobbie1 »

JohnnieJonzo wrote:Can someone tech-minded explain how to change the hex value in my registry to hex 26 as stated in the document? I am quite pc minded and know how to navigate around using regedit but didnt know what figure to change...is it the one in brackets at end of string? ie, my string read 0x00000002 (2)
Do i change just the one in brackets or also the number at end of zeros?

Only answer if you genuinely know the answer for sure please.
~S~

When you find that line in the reg, you get 2 info lines in the righthand window.
Right click on "Win32PrioritySeperation" and some options will come up. Click on MODIFY. Then select either Decimal or Hex, and enter in the correct value. Click OK/APPLY, then exit regedit. (I rebooted after this also).

Cheers!
Rob

aka CPS_Bomber
Win10 Home 64bit; i7-8700 3.2GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB, x2 500GB SSD, x1 2TB HDD, Track IR5.
Saitek: X-55, ProPedals, Throttle Quadrant, x2 ProGamer pads; VRInsight TT Panel.

All A2A aircraft, Accufeel and Aircraft Factory Corsair/P-51/Anson.

JohnnieJonzo
Airman First Class

Post by JohnnieJonzo »

Many thanks CPS !!

Dont know about anyone else but my pc is already seemingly zipping along faster. Now to try the game :wink:

Edit: reporting back after two hours non stop hectic action in the campaign in full screen mode as opposed to 'windowed', tried both 1024x768 & 1152x864 resolutions...not a single CTD, whohoo ! :P
Spec:- Amd Athlon 64 3200, Asus K8N-E deluxe, 1gb Ram, Asus N6600GT graphics card, Creative audigy 2 ZS soundcard.

the Dutchman
Technical Sergeant

Post by the Dutchman »

Secondly – Ensure that your NTFS File System Cluster Size is 4096
Bytes.
Ok,i have Partiotion Magic,and checked my cluster size,it is 4K,i assume that is the same?

the Dutchman
Technical Sergeant

Post by the Dutchman »

Well,it really seems to work,got significant framerate improvement,great tip,thanks!

GT182
Staff Sergeant

Post by GT182 »

Daz, the SATA drives should run faster.... 150mp/s vs 133mp/s for the ATA IDE drives. My Maxtor is set to 0 Raid but like you I don't remember "chunk" size. Will check and get back to you here.

Edit:
32 bit transfer is Enabled.
"War does not determine who is right- only who is left" Bertrand Russell

Member Of Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, Pa.
Tour Coordinator KILG and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG
Bombs-Away.net

musk
BDG

Post by musk »

Anyone without Partition Magic or similar utility who wishes to check their NTFS cluster size can use the command

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

Replace C: with the drive in question and look at the output for "Bytes Per Cluster"

Really good to hear others are getting such drastic improvements from this. Hopefully that info will be helpful in figuring out the performance issues. Doesn't give any noticeable improvement for me but I had decent framerates to begin with.

SamuraiGG
Airman

Post by SamuraiGG »

I assume the only way to change cluster size is to reformat? :(

Daz Kebab
Airman First Class

Post by Daz Kebab »

Cheers for the info GT182
How did you find out your chunk size?

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”