Best GA Flight Planner?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
TomG628
Airman

Best GA Flight Planner?

Post by TomG628 »

Hi,
I just bought the C-172 and I am just practicing and getting familiar. For once I feel like I am in a real plane. I'd like to start making some cross-country flights but does anyone know of a good all around flight planner that would be comparable to one a real pilot would use for a Cessna 172? Preferably one you can print out a route and map? Thanks. Regards, Tom

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: Best GA Flight Planner?

Post by gulredrel »

You could try http://skyvector.com/

Regards
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Plan-g is free and awesome

pushpak123
Airman

Post by pushpak123 »

Yes Plan G is best, if you are in UK use SkyDemon (free/paid) version.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

+1 for Skyvector, especially excellent if you have a dual monitor set up. They have VFR, Low, High enroute charts, worldwide coverage tho much more detail in the USA area (including links to airport approach charts), weather/NOTAM data, links to airport info. Even if you only have a single monitor it should be fine. Matter of fact with a single monitor you can really simulate VFR flying LOL....time spent looking at the Sectional is time not looking out the window or scanning instruments lol. In the real airplane you have to be very wary of this and manage how long you look at things like sectionals, charts, checklists...and so on.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

I use plan g although still trying to get FSX gps to follow the flight plans accurately as well as getting RXP to recognize the plans......as a moving map for VFR nav, it works pretty good and it's free :D

CPORSES
Airman First Class

Post by CPORSES »

I've used Plan-G for years and it is excellent. I have also just come across FSTramp. It displays so much detail on screen that I end up looking more at the map than I do the instruments........! Free for first 20 flights, then you have to pay if you wish to continue using the program. It was an easy choice for me.

Bob
A mile of road takes you a mile.
A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Hey Bob, just took a look at FSTramp and it does look inviting :D think I will give it a whirl and see if it does a little better...already like the fact that it has it's own window within FSX :shock: and doesn't require internet connection to run.....testing will now commence :D

TomG628
Airman

Post by TomG628 »

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll check those out.
Regards, Tom

greasysidedown
Senior Airman

Post by greasysidedown »

Fltplan.com has free planning and charts.

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

For the price, free, you can't beat PlanG. Has a ton of features, can bring up charts for airports(I use John Allard's FSX Airport Plate Project downloads from http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/) find intersections of two nav aids, the list goes on.

I run it behind windowed FSX and use it as a map to find airport and VOR frequencies and such while in flight. I don't normally connect to PlanG to use it as a moving map preferring to use it as a static map. Keeps me from not having to write everything down before the flight but still feel like I am only looking at a in-flight map to find my way. VFR at it's finest. :D
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

SkyVector and/or PlanG. Then ASNext to check the weather briefing for the flight.

SkyVector is usually where I start (and end). I can quickly enter the departure and arrival airports and then drag the line onto the waypoints. I can also see the Airmets and Sigmets rendered on the map and can re-route to avoid them. For short of VFR flights, that's all I'll need, if it's fairly direct, I'll enter a simple plan into ASNext to check the weather and look for the best cruise alt.

If it's a long flight, or there are a lot of waypoints, I'll plot the flight into PlanG. That way, I can load it into the sim and have it plotted onto the GPS but also have all the legs and navaid frequencies on the kneeboard if I want to fly without GPS. I can also load it into ASNext and get a full weather briefing. I don't use PlanG (or ASNext) as a moving map, I just keep track of my location using navaids, looking out the window, and SkyVector.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”