Just got paid P-40 or P-51 ?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
brndn220
Airman Basic

Just got paid P-40 or P-51 ?

Post by brndn220 »

Hey new to a2a and I got a bit of money this month "dont happen much" So I want to know what aircraft should I get? I will be buying the two but for now can only have one and having a hard time picking what one I want! Any help with my pick would be nice I love the two the same just about. I also can't wait as they look amazing! Thank you!!

CIWS01
Senior Airman

Re: Just got paid P-40 or P-51 ?

Post by CIWS01 »

This is a loaded question, I have all of the A2A warbirds and then some. It was a really tough thing to figure out what one to buy....I'd recommend flipping a coin or the notes in a hat. :D

The P-40 to me sounds soooo nice when she is at idle, but the P-51 sounds like a dream as well... Oh man i'm having flash backs.... Either one and you will be happy but i'd try the coin. lol!
Image Image
ImageImage

brndn220
Airman Basic

Post by brndn220 »

CIWS01 wrote:This is a loaded question, I have all of the A2A warbirds and then some. It was a really tough thing to figure out what one to buy....I'd recommend flipping a coin or the notes in a hat. :D

The P-40 to me sounds soooo nice when she is at idle, but the P-51 sounds like a dream as well... Oh man i'm having flash backs.... Either one and you will be happy but i'd try the coin. lol!
lol thanks I did what you said with a coin and it looks to be the P-40 Going to go buy it after I get dinner done. Thank you!

CIWS01
Senior Airman

Post by CIWS01 »

Glad I could be of service :D Trust me you will enjoy the 40, she is a load of fun.
Image Image
ImageImage

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

I think the P40 is easier to fly Than the mustang.
Don't forget to pump the landing gear

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

OK just to be the spoiler in the thread, I have to say mustang :D Both the military and civilian models are great and the challenge is to learn to fly them 8)

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

I completely agree with you but as a starting point the P40 is easier to fly and you will be pleased with your results whereas I found the mustang an absolute pig to learn.

The spitfire and the mustang are by far the best A2A warbird fighters

Having said that they are both steep learning curves.

taildraggin you are biased cos you just got the mustang and are loving it.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Whatever you do, get it with Accusim!

I got the P-40 quite early because I thought I'd not like it (sounds strange?). I had the feeling that I would get that before the ones that I was excited about - to save the "best" for last. Turns out it became one of my favourites. That beautiful-sounding Allison and the lack of systems that will save you from trouble is so fascinating. It is a handful sometimes, but so much fun! :-D
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

I think we all agree that accusim makes all the difference.

I for one have never bought an A2A aircraft without accusim and I have them all.The only exception which I must admit I love is the WWii wop spitfire !!.

Mind you we are all devotees,listen to taildraggin waxing lyrical.

CIWS01
Senior Airman

Post by CIWS01 »

Oh yeah. that beautiful Growl of the P-40's engine. I'd like to record it on idle and use it to help me sleep at night... the wife wasn't as impressed as I was..

Time for headphones...
Image Image
ImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Personally, I'd get the WOP III Spitfire. She flies like a dream, but you have to watch the engine temps. This was my first A2A purchase. On my first flight, before I'd read the manual, I set power as I would for a radial engined aircraft, and was forced to land with my engine on fire :roll: . With the Spitfire, you get 3 very different propellers which adds to the fun. Start with the MkII, which has a Coffman starter, but is probably the easiest to master as it's similar to what you may well be used to now, with it's constant speed prop. On take off increase power to +8 pound boost and hold the stick back a little. She flies herself off. Retract gear, then reduce power to +6 pounds boost, 2650rpm for climb out. At cruise, reduce power to about 0 pounds boost, 2000rpm radiator open 1 notch. If I want to try out some aerobatics, I use +4 pounds boost and 2400rpm radiator open wide. Then get to grips with the earlier versions. Great fun!! The Spitfire I find is very intuitive to fly.

I also have the P-40 which is a lot of fun too. Just watch the swing on take off, and you'll be using the trim a lot, but the real thing is like that too. P-40's have better ailerons than early Spitfires. My second A2A purchase was the P-47, which just gets better and better the higher you fly. I don't yet have the P-51 as I'm waiting for the next A2A release, so don't want to blow my dough, but I'll probably buy the civilian version at a later date. I also want the B-17 as I'd like to try a multi engined A2A product. Finances are always finite :( . In all purchases, I bought the Accusim version, as this is what turns a good simulated plane into a great one. I find any non-Accusim planes something of a let down nowadays. And always print out the manual and read it thoroughly. You'll be glad you did.

But whatever you get, I hope you enjoy it. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Mike- as someone who is intensely aware how tight finances can be right now, I still recommend the Mustang more than any other A2A bird. Keep in mind the lead flight tester for the P-51, Dudley Henriques, is a high time Mustang pilot IRL, which brings a level of fidelity to the sim which cannot be matched IMO. The WWII version is amazing, but I prefer the civilian model as it represents the vast majority of P-51's we see at airshows today. Plus,the Accusim only has to be purchased once for the two models, so there is a little savings if you get both.

Worth. Every. Penny.

My first flight in the Spitfire when I got it really taught me a ton about engine management. I remember taking a scenic flight out of Seward, AK to test my new warbird. Flew great, and since I had plenty of altitude, cut my throttle and descended a few miles to the airport... As I reached pattern altitude I added throttle so I could level out and set up to land. By added throttle I mean the plugs were so badly fouled from a long descent with no power that the engine wouldn't come to life, and I crashed into the water short of the runway.

Learned that a warbird needs to keep higher manifold pressure over RPMs, and how to control both through a decent to safe landing... Really comes in handy back in the Mustang keeping MP around 2700RPMs through the descent and approach, controlling speed with the prop until the end...

Too much fun!

Joe
Joe

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

The P-40 is a lot of fun. I was a late convert as I didn't have a lot of interest in the real aircraft initially. I do recommend you become comfortable with the hydraulic system to operate the gear and flaps whilst still on the ground though. (There are trestles available to do this.) On a rather badly-prepared early flight in the P-40 I became distracted trying to figure it out, let the airspeed drop and spun in from low altitude. :oops: Subsequently, I used the input configurator to assign a spare joystick button to the hydraulic pump which made things a lot more intuitive. It's still rather easy to end up raising the undercarriage when on the ground though!

The P-51 is great but a real handful on take-off, especially with fuselage fuel tanks and external stores. I had to do a lot of fiddling around with my rudder settings until I was able to comfortably counter the yaw. (Actually, I lie: take-off is still a rather tense affair!)

The Spit is beautifully mannered and I think by far the easiest of the three to fly provided you watch those temps. In fact I still struggle to reconcile the difference in take-off swing between the P-51 and the Spit. I know the P-51 has quite a lot more HP, but I also suspect that it also benefits from being a more mature product.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

brndn220
Airman Basic

Post by brndn220 »

Well, I got the P-40 with accusim and I love it!! I had a bit of a hard time with her at first, like starting the engine up lol... I can now fire her up every time. I then got her up and killed the engine because I let it get to hot. "Dang" I found a old training video on youtube of the P-40 and has helped me out a lot!

CIWS01
Senior Airman

Post by CIWS01 »

Yes the actual real world training material does help a great deal. I have been purchasing the actual pilots manuals for many of the aircraft. The included doccuments with A2A are outstanding but nothing feels as good as reading the same books that the actual pilots back in WW2 used, or watching a period training film and finding that it actually helps you. I watched Kermit Weeks fire up his P-51C and even though there are slight differences between the C and the D I could still understand what he was doing and why. You can understand each move and what he is doing next. It's a great feeling. Same with the P-40 and other A2A aircraft. :D You made a good choice, enjoy mastering the Warhawk.
Image Image
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”