Since last update, difficult to start up the 51 and 6

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Since last update, difficult to start up the 51 and 6

Post by Dominique »

Since the last update, I find it difficult to start the engine of the 51 and the 6. After priming and switching the starter on, the propeller rotates for like an eternity, with an occasional spurt before the explosive cycle is ignited.

For the record I started up these two engines tens of times (or more for 51). No flooding, a couple of more priming during rotation has no apparent effect No failure recorded in the hangar (batetry not weak).

Am I alone having this difficulty ? Does the procedure need to be altered somewhat after the update ? Or...

do I get too old for that :mrgreen: ?
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Re: Since last update, difficult to start up the 51 and 6

Post by Aymi »

This might be a feature rather than a bug :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPwv45b4M30
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Aymi wrote:This might be a feature rather than a bug :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPwv45b4M30
It may very well be, Aymi, thats why I didn't put my post in a support forum :) . I wonder though because the prop rotation slows after a little while...

Thanks for the clip. Interestingly enough, it seems (not sure !) that the pilot jokeys with the throttle to help which I thought was a big no no. Or does it rotate the mag switch off/on several times ?
Dominique
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Dominique,

By the sounds of your post, I think you are flooding the engine. Remember, the engine temps are persistent so if you reload the plane, or even quit FSX and come back in a few minutes, the engine will still be warm. Just priming a warm engine a little can flood it.

Try this:
With the engine stopped, open your CONTROLS menu (SHIFT-3) and click on COLD START. Then reload the plane.

On the T-6, give it four strokes of primer or on the P-51, hold the primer in for 3-4 max. It's really easy to over prime the P-51, so it's better to prime a little as you can always prime a bit more while cranking.

And, if you suspect you have flooded the engine, open the throttle up and crank. And be ready to pull it back if it suddenly starts.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Thanks Scott, I may have been more heavy-handed than I thought... I'll be more careful.
Dominique

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Aye, I remember Dudley and Scott always commenting that it was super easy to flood the P-51 with the primer, but in the past this was something I'd never seen reflected in the sim until the recent fuel system updates. Now it's patently true. With a hot engine, if I prime at all, it's only for maybe half a second, tops. Any more and the poor thing will just crank forever and not fire.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

EnDSchultz wrote:Aye, I remember Dudley and Scott always commenting that it was super easy to flood the P-51 with the primer, but in the past this was something I'd never seen reflected in the sim until the recent fuel system updates. Now it's patently true. With a hot engine, if I prime at all, it's only for maybe half a second, tops. Any more and the poor thing will just crank forever and not fire.
Thanks, my feeling was that I was not priming more than before. I missed the references to this fuel system update.
Dominique

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Hi All,

Starting certainly became more challenging with the recent post T-6 updates, for both the p51 and the p40.
I struggled with both at first, and occasionally still with the 51, though I am getting better.
The P-40 I have been starting again with little to no difficulty after some practice with the new updates.

That said, while a difficult start can be frustrating when I just want to get up and flying, it is also infinitely more satisfying when the engine finally fires.
I can't help but to feel more like I am operating a big fire-breathing v12, and not just playing with a simulator.

One thing I have noticed in the most recent 5-9 update. With a cold engine, I have had the best luck starting the p51 by feeding it a LITTLE primer before engaging the starter, and if it is not kicking over applying more primer while the starter is running. I don't know if this is a good practice, or not recommended, but it has been working for me. I am curious to hear Scott and Dudley's feedback on this starting technique. Should I stop it now, or is this an acceptable way?

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Dave,

This is from Dudley on the subject:
"Definitely OK with the T6 but iffy in the 51. Basically 3 to 4 seconds on that electric prime will start the 1650. You don't want to be playing forward too much on the throttle with the 51 as the timing is linked to that. If you get a cold start in the Mustang what I would do is leave the throttle at the normal start position and hit the primer switch in one second intervals, prime/off,prime,off...etc. That will usually get it started."

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Thank You Scott!

I will certainly be conscious of this as I practice with starting the 51.

So to make sure I am interpreting correctly...
  • Prime first 3-4 seconds (of course less to none for warm, and high end for cold)
  • Crack throttle, but not too much, including in cold weather
  • If struggling with a cold start, prime on and off in one second intervals during start
Am I understanding correctly?

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

aonyn wrote:Thank You Scott!

I will certainly be conscious of this as I practice with starting the 51.

So to make sure I am interpreting correctly...
  • Prime first 3-4 seconds (of course less to none for warm, and high end for cold)
  • Crack throttle, but not too much, including in cold weather
  • If struggling with a cold start, prime on and off in one second intervals during start
Am I understanding correctly?

Regards,
Dave
Yes. If extra prime needed just keep cranking as you use the primer in on/off sequence until it starts.
Don't over crank the engine. Fifteen seconds on the starter then rest it a bit.
Dudley Henriques

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I flooded the t6 last night. I love that the maintenance hanger shows the engine as flooded. I just pulled back the mixture, full throttle and cranked till it started a few seconds later.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”