DC-3 crash on takeoff in Burnet, TX - Wonder what happened?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Re: DC-3 crash on takeoff in Burnet, TX - Wonder what happen

Post by ImpendingJoker »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
ImpendingJoker wrote:@Dudley
I will not speculate but, asking a forum full of aviation enthusiasts to NOT speculate is like asking a fish not swim. I abide by the rule even though I've never agreed with it but, your reply to CAPFlyer was way off base. Many times people have been chided for using the type of language that you have used in your reply. While it may be true that it has been stated a few times on this forum, I can not help but think that this response is neither gauged nor professional and not what I have come to expect after being on this forum for going on 6 years and yes I am aware that we are all human and mistakes can be made and words can be said in the heat of the moment but, you have to click a button to post like that and it should have been ample time to think about how you worded your response. Many times in life both here and on other forums I've typed out heated replies only to delete them and not post them after I spent many minutes typing out a not so formulated reply. This is not one of those times however.
Sitting agog...

I'm sorry you find this objectionable but believe me I can live with that. What I can not and will not live with is having ANYONE on our forums disregarding our simple stated and posted as a sticky request concerning accident speculation.
Dudley Henriques
My response was not in that you came down on CAPFlyer for a rules violation but in the WAY that you did it. Tact is the order of the day when dealing with people. That being said, I include my signature in EVERY post for a reason. I am an A&P and a Part 147 Instructor. It means that I am heavily involved with aviation and have been just about my whole life, as a hobby before the military, in the military, and after I got out to this day.

I will make no further comment on this thread as I do not think anything productive will come from its furtherance.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

bkmetz2x205 wrote:To Dudley,

Your expertise in accident investigation is appreciated. This is an area that you appear to be passionate about. Human nature seems to cause us all to protect the things we feel strongly about.

With that in mind, I have to say that your strong response is the most unprofessional thing I have read on the A2A forums. It is clear the simple forum guidelines do not allow for speculation, but ultimately isn't the overriding principle in the guidelines mutual respect? Even when we post something in error?

My hope is that your response doesn't taint the respect that you deserve as an expert in your field.

-B
I would remind you that my initial response to the original poster who violated this forum "request" was polite and included the word "please". He has not responded so I assume he posted innocently and will observe the sticky in the future.
My "cogent" response was to the SECOND post by another poster who blatantly ignored my polite response to the initial poster and proceeded to offer further speculation on this accident by suggesting that wind might have been a factor.
It was this second attempt at speculation that garnered my "direct response".
Accident speculation of ANY kind on an accident will be met with response. Sorry you feel the way you do but I'm afraid I can't help that. If there are people on these forums who will blatantly refuse to observe our simple request to avoid speculation on accidents under investigation I will continue to offer an initial friendly "request that they cease and desist but I will not be responsible for what follows if that advice is ignored.
I hope I'm getting the point across FINALLY to one and all that our request on this issue is a serious one. I have given the reasons in an above posting so I won't bother doing it again here.
Of course there is always the option that those who do this are willing to see me leave these forums because as I said, I can not frequent a group where accident speculation is the norm. My involvement with accident investigation is way too important for me to allow myself close proximity to people who engage in this activity. In fact, just as an aside, we lost a pilot yesterday; a friend and fellow war bird pilot. I am dealing with that as we speak. It's not a pleasant duty attempting to discover what went wrong.
There are live people involved; family and friends. It's serious business !

Try looking at things this way. I've served your community pro bono with thousands of written words, tutorials, advice, encouragement, and God knows what. If the people on these forums can't refrain from deferring to me, (and A2A) on this one request we have made of them, then perhaps I should rethink my involvement here. It's THAT simple !
Dudley Henriques

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

I really didn't think Dudley's response was over the top or unprofessional. I moderated an NFL fan site for a few years, and have seen everything. And I've definitely said much worse. :D

I know it can be frustrating getting folks to follow the rules. In this case, said rules have been prominently posted. Even the title of the thread invites speculation. Probably the only solution is to delete threads that discuss recent accidents. Yeah, I did say that. People gonna speculate.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

patful wrote: In this case, said rules have been prominently posted. Even the title of the thread invites speculation. Probably the only solution is to delete threads that discuss recent accidents. Yeah, I did say that. People gonna speculate.
+1 Reporting is one thing, discussing entirely another.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

This is the oddest thread I've ever read on this site :?

You have a guy reporting the factual winds (probably from an archived metar) and people calling that speculation... :roll:

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

ryanbatc wrote:This is the oddest thread I've ever read on this site :?

You have a guy reporting the factual winds (probably from an archived metar) and people calling that speculation... :roll:
What part of "would have been a contributing factor" don't you get?

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

I will try to say this with as much meekness as I can muster.

I have been lurking in the background here for quite some time, not participating in daily discussion, but I come visit regularly nonetheless, and for in no small part to read the always helpful, interesting, and even sometimes entertaining posts from Dudley. Over the years, Dudley has even helped me personally when I have requested help. I can think of no greater loss here at the A2A community than for Dudley to have to leave because we won't refrain from discussing a topic which he and Scott have made crystal clear is not for discussion here.

Dudley mentioned that his first post was polite. I would personally say even his second post, while much stronger, was restrained considering his first request to drop the subject was not heeded. Then after his second post was not only ignored, but directly put up for debate as far as the merit of it did Dudley go on the offensive. Then, he afterwards went into a detailed reason why such discussion is problematic for him, as well as the inevitable result of him having to leave the community if such discussion continues.

Now here we are, with some choosing to still discuss the very debate on whether such and such is speculation that started this entire thing. Please stop it! Have some respect for Dudley. He was very clear as to his reasons, and his reasons are very understandable.

I for one would rather have Dudley with us than to be free to speculate as to reasons for accidents which are under investigation on these forums.
It was said that people will speculate, well please speculate elsewhere, we have very few rules here, but this is clearly a serious one.

I am sorry if anyone takes this as me being disrespectful to other more active members than myself, I don't intend disrespect, but I can't restrain myself while it seems Dudley is being pushed out, if not deliberately, at least in effect. Please may we now end this discussion, and refrain from these topics in the future, for our friend Dudley.

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: I would remind you that my initial response to the original poster who violated this forum "request" was polite and included the word "please". He has not responded so I assume he posted innocently and will observe the sticky in the future.
Original thread starter here - I've been hiding under my bed all day, afraid to poke my head out until things cooled down. But yep, I hadn't read through the forum guidelines sticky before posting (my bad). I won't let it happen again, believe me. Probably Scott or Lewis can please just delete this thread and let us all concentrate on happier thoughts?

Suggestion for a mood change: Type "bikini fishing" in the Youtube search bar and watch those videos for hours. Changed my life! :shock:

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Hobart Escin wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote: I would remind you that my initial response to the original poster who violated this forum "request" was polite and included the word "please". He has not responded so I assume he posted innocently and will observe the sticky in the future.
Original thread starter here - I've been hiding under my bed all day, afraid to poke my head out until things cooled down. But yep, I hadn't read through the forum guidelines sticky before posting (my bad). I won't let it happen again, believe me. Probably Scott or Lewis can please just delete this thread and let us all concentrate on happier thoughts?

Suggestion for a mood change: Type "bikini fishing" in the Youtube search bar and watch those videos for hours. Changed my life! :shock:
Thank you Hobart. I perceived it might have been something like this.
No harm done. Looking forward to future exchanges with you.
Dudley Henriques

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Hobart Escin wrote: Suggestion for a mood change: Type "bikini fishing" in the Youtube search bar and watch those videos for hours. Changed my life! :shock:
I've just spent 1/2 an hour on youtube watching a group of Bikies fishing.... I have to start reading things more carefully.... :mrgreen:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Bikini fishing, never knew the sport existed :) . Thanks for the heads up Hobart!!! LOL!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Dudley...
Last edited by Mikenor on 23 Jul 2018, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Mikenor wrote:Bikini fishing, never new the sport existed :) . Thanks for the heads up Hobart!!! LOL
Ditto. So I checked it out and I haven't seen a fish yet. Am I missing something??? :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

So, when is that A2A P-51 coming out for P3Dv4? :D

Seeya
ATB

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Paughco wrote:So, when is that A2A P-51 coming out for P3Dv4? :D

Seeya
ATB
In the pipeline.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

You know, speaking of YouTube, I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a problem I've had with it. I'm convinced time in my immediate vicinity compresses and that outside my vicinity expands whenever I'm watching a video on it. Seriously, I pop in for a quick 3-5 minute watch and the next thing I know half an hour's gone by.

Someone should do a study.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”