Starfighter!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Starfighter!

Post by pjc747 »

CodyValkyrie wrote:
Roadburner426 wrote:I'm not really to familiar with the Starfighter. The bird certaintly looks phenominal though, and will be a must have. There is so much good stuff coming going to have to prioritize what order to get them all in.. Can't wait to see this bird in action!
Fastest single engine aircraft to date. Nuff' said. :D
Would the X-15 not count as single engine?

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I wouldn't necessarily call it a single engine. There was more than one booster. Let me add this caveat... single engine jet.
ImageImage
ImageImage

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Thats cleaer, I guess.

KaptajnKjuk
Airman First Class

Post by KaptajnKjuk »

As I said on the facebook page - you guys have got me hyped on this thing!

I am so ready for this; to a soundtrack of The Doors - Bird of Prey and some Steppenwolf, a howling J79 and a climbrate little shy of 50 000ft/min. Add a Danish repaint to that mix, and I'm all set! Please say this thing is coming soon and perhaps even in line just after the P51?.. :roll:

Btw - what kind of operating difficulties / challenges would an engine like the J79 bring with it? I know it's probably less of a thing to handle than a Merlin, but neither do I expect just to push the lever as in a 737.. I know some of you guys KNOWS about this stuff - spill the beans! :mrgreen:

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

You should be able to beat on the engine within reason. The J79 was very well built, and designed for combat uses, with big power and rapid power changes.
Or decide your self. Watch Jay from S&S Turbines test an J79 with afterburner. Note, this J79 didn't come out of a F-104. You can tell because there is now "Howl" that people associate with the J79.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SH5953i ... er&list=UL

If you watch some of his earlier videos you can watch him refurbish J79'a LM1500's and even some British engines.

rfoshaug
Airman

Post by rfoshaug »

Great video link, thanks! However, I believe the howl came from the J79's installation in the F-104 (ie. the howl came from the 104's air intakes).

I can't wait for this aircraft! The F-104 has always been a favourite of mine because it is so extreme.

Will the loadout (wing tip tanks/drop tanks) be configurable like on the P-47? Would love to do the first test flights totally clean with no tanks. 8)

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Actually the howl comes from the J79 it's self. It's explained in another of Jay's videos. But Basically the J79 that goes into a Starfighter has smaller exhaust nozzles flap things. And it is those that cause the howl. A J79 in a F-4 and B-58 has bigger exhaust nozzles so it doesn't make the same howl.

Sundowner
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Sundowner »

It's all in the nozzles, the J79 on a Zipper have two of those:
An inner (primary #12) and outer (secondary #13) one with additional cold air sucked in between the two, this area forms a whistle at specific power settings (the 80% being optimal for howling from what I know).
Chris Oleksy
"I give that landing a 7 on the Richter scale."

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Here we go I found the video where Jay explains why only the Starfighter howls. It's in the last minute of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AgentJayZ#p ... DdF3U2g-Ic
It's because 12. and 13. in the above picture are smaller then 12. and 13. of other J79's

rfoshaug
Airman

Post by rfoshaug »

Thanks for the info!! Learned something today too. :D

KaptajnKjuk
Airman First Class

Post by KaptajnKjuk »

Interesting videos - quite a hefty peice of machinery.. :D

Li'lJugs
Senior Airman

Post by Li'lJugs »

I had the Captain Sim F-104 in FS9, and it was one of my favorite a/c, can't wait for the FSX A2A version.

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Sundowner wrote: great aircraft forgotten in the wake of bad German pilots training and bribe affairs.
While the bribe affair sure was a factor, I don't think bad training was the issue for all the accidents in Europe. The F-104 was a fair-weather aircraft that worked perfectly fine over the deserts of California and Nevada, but that even in its revised version couldn't really cope with the rougher weather conditions in Europe. That is also the reason why Spain, a rather dry country, had a much fewer losses than Germany or Denmark. Not because of better training/pilots, but because of more suitable meteorological conditions for this stub-winged aircraft. It was forgotten, because the much better designed and more versatile F-16 replaced it.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Sundowner
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Sundowner »

To clarify, I was writing about the C model specifically, that one wasn't replaced by the F-16, remember, all TAC F-104s went to ANG in 1967, half a decade before the Viper did its maiden flight. The US F-104s were actually replaced by F-4 and F-111.

Discussions about the source of Luftwaffe problems with the Zipper continues to this day, but Lockheed reports points directly on the West German pilot training programs, as the F-104 was the first supersonic jet West Germany operated. Just imagine, from Mach 0.9, they jumped right into Mach 2.0 airframe without changing their training program. For comparison, the Royal Netherlands Air Force also made similar jump from the F-84s, but during the transition all of the pilots were starting from scratch, same with many others... Although West Germany had to learn it the hard way as they were first to operate Zippers in Europe.
Chris Oleksy
"I give that landing a 7 on the Richter scale."

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Sundowner wrote:Just imagine, from Mach 0.9, they jumped right into Mach 2.0 airframe without changing their training program.
That is quite a boost, alright. ;)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”