Real Life Albatros D III (OEF) Air-to-Airs

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Real Life Albatros D III (OEF) Air-to-Airs

Post by Bomber_12th »

With Lucas' superb reproduction of this rare aircraft (released through 'Aircraft Factory'), I thought some here might be interested in this. In the following link, a selection of air-to-air images were posted of the rather recently completed Albatros D III (OEF) which is now flying in Austria.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/repli ... lying.html

This is the company that built it (with more to come): http://www.craftlab.at/index.php?id=3&L ... 2463a6241f

John Terrell

Kobradelta1000
Airman First Class

Re: Real Life Albatros D III (OEF) Air-to-Airs

Post by Kobradelta1000 »

Very cool info- didn´t know that its realy built in austria... again :mrgreen:

Thanks!
Reg
Klaus
from LOWG

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Awesome! I think i'd be scared going up that high in her though hehe, made of twigs and canvas :shock:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

Less scary with a parachute in your back ;)

That picture is trully impressive. Look at that depth, it almost gives me vertigo !
That must be really awesome to pilot such a plane in such a place.... and it must be even MORE awesome to do it in summer :?

Now I feel that need to take my old WWI planes out of the FSX hangar for some high altitude flyin' :)
Thanks for that picture.

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Post by dacamp66 »

Makes you respect the courage of the men who went up in these aircraft;
especially when you realise that most went up with no seatbelts and no parachutes.
(parachutes of the time were large, bulky, and especially, heavy enough that they had to be bolted onto the outside of the aircraft in a special "holder".
also popular belief of the time was that "parachutes are for cowards!".) :shock:
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

dacamp66 wrote:Makes you respect the courage of the men who went up in these aircraft;
especially when you realise that most went up with no seatbelts and no parachutes.
(parachutes of the time were large, bulky, and especially, heavy enough that they had to be bolted onto the outside of the aircraft in a special "holder".
also popular belief of the time was that "parachutes are for cowards!".) :shock:
i'm not sure about the germans, but the RFC didnt issue parachutes because they (high command) believed it would make the pilots more willing to jump out, rather than fight harder and keep the plane intact!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”