Update on GrandPa's G21

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Grand Pa's G21

Post by cflord »

What a great story and a very special airplane. I wish you all the best with her restoration. Keep feeding us pics as the restoration progresses.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer :)

Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: Update on GrandPa's G21

Post by Hook »

Late this afternoon my grandfathers Grumman G-21 Goose moved around my property under her own power......
That is incredibly exciting.

While I'd like to have an A2A DC-3, it's only because I wouldn't expect them to make a Goose. If I could have an A2A Goose, I think my sim life would be complete.

Thanks for posting.

Hook

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

Hook wrote:
Late this afternoon my grandfathers Grumman G-21 Goose moved around my property under her own power......
That is incredibly exciting.

While I'd like to have an A2A DC-3, it's only because I wouldn't expect them to make a Goose. If I could have an A2A Goose, I think my sim life would be complete.

Thanks for posting.

Hook

Well all I can say is that the goose will be available anytime that the A2A team wants to do it......

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Hey tucker, maybe you can get some spare parts off this Goose! Click on pic to see movie clip.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer :o

severniae
Senior Airman

Post by severniae »

So how complete is the Aircraft? do you have a hopeful 'fly' day?

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

severniae wrote:So how complete is the Aircraft? do you have a hopeful 'fly' day?

NO fly date set as of yet......I have just enough wing on her for engine placement.....A week ago we had it in the water, testing it to see if their were any leaks in the lower hull.....None to report.....Stabs, rudder, and 4 feet of each wing tip is still missing....Electrical wise, their is still much work to do, plus much of the hydraulic system still needs to be done....And the entire interior has to be done yet....
This will be all new material, as well....New glass has to be ordered and then installed....
An Accurate assessment of date would be 5 or 6 years down the road with luck....

severniae
Senior Airman

Post by severniae »

trucker17 wrote:
severniae wrote:So how complete is the Aircraft? do you have a hopeful 'fly' day?

NO fly date set as of yet......I have just enough wing on her for engine placement.....A week ago we had it in the water, testing it to see if their were any leaks in the lower hull.....None to report.....Stabs, rudder, and 4 feet of each wing tip is still missing....Electrical wise, their is still much work to do, plus much of the hydraulic system still needs to be done....And the entire interior has to be done yet....
This will be all new material, as well....New glass has to be ordered and then installed....
An Accurate assessment of date would be 5 or 6 years down the road with luck....
Excellent stuff! Wish you all the best with the old girl! ... And I thought my 1972 MG Midget was a big project!!

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

severniae wrote:
trucker17 wrote:

Excellent stuff! Wish you all the best with the old girl! ... And I thought my 1972 MG Midget was a big project!!

Yeah its a Project and then some.....

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well please keep us updated on the build process be interesting to see if this thread is still going on 5 years :wink:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Well please keep us updated on the build process be interesting to see if this thread is still going on 5 years :wink:

Will do Lewis.....
Once the old girl is airborn again, i'll have to invite you, scott and the rest of the team out for a trip around the island here....
You could make it a Holliday, and take one of my Sport fishers out for some deepsea action....

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

Here is an up date on the old goose....
In the last 3 days I have been doing some work on her. The cockpit has all its glass installed, passenger compartment still don't have any yet, All the cable work is done and in, Main wing tips are complete and on.
The new fuel tanks have not arrived yet. The tanks that I received for the plane were the wrong ones. and were 2 inches wider then the wing mounting location, So off they went, back to get the correct size. New tires arrived 3 weeks ago, they have been mounted.
I also received 2 new sets of propellers for the plane. That was a surprise from my friends flying club.
I found new door handles and hinges, I should be getting them in a few weeks.
Frame work and rails for the passenger compartment floors arrived. this is what I have been working on the past 2 days.

arkady86
Airman First Class

Post by arkady86 »

Nice to see she's progressing, trucker! I wish you all the best for this projects, keep those updates coming!
ImageImage
ImageImage

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

arkady86 wrote:Nice to see she's progressing, trucker! I wish you all the best for this projects, keep those updates coming!
Thanks arkady.
It takes a lot of work. Considering I don't know much about welding and brazing. with help from welders and aircraft mechanics who weld and braze, i'm getting it done.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

OK, trucker17, it has been 5 years. Do you have an update on the Goose?

I never forgot about this thread, just found it again tonight.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”