Quick review - Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedals

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Quick review - Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedals

Post by taildraggin68 »

A quick update on the Thrustmaster pedals, so far they have held up admirably, with use, what small centering detent was present when new is almost imperceptible now. Well worth the price as they replaced the broken Saitek Cessna pedals. Much easier with tail draggers too.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Ordered the TFRPs here in German online shop. 4 weeks waiting time :shock:
Thrustmaster online shop was the same last weekend, now tey are in stock. Hope I don't have to wait too long.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

My old CH pedals are getting rather spikey, and the other day, I lost one of the toe brakes entirely.
I will open them up, clean the pots, and fix the connection to the toe brake pedal, but I went ahead and also ordered a pair of these pedals.
Should be here in about a week. I will add my impression here as well.

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

My set of TM pedals just arrived.
I have not used them in FS yet, but I have unpacked them and plugged them in, calibrated them, and they are ready for this evening's flight.
The hard part is, which plane do I want to fly first with them... I am leaning toward p-51 (t-6 would be obvious choice, except I have not purchased it yet)

Anyway, my initial impression is, yes, they are very lightweight as mentioned by others, but they don't seem "cheap"
In fact, when calibrating, I was surprised at how substantial they feel.
Also, they feel very smooth, and while they have a center detent, it is not a heavy detent by any means, and I find going side to side with the rudder, I don't feel like I have to push past the detent... if anything I have to be careful to not go right past it if my intention was to stop at center.

So far, I am impressed, looking forward to flying tonight.

I will post again my impressions after flying with them.

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Hi All,

So I used the TM Pedals for their first flight. I think I actually like them more than my old CH Pedals.
The pedal movement on the rails is extremely smooth, the detent as I mentioned is barely noticeable.

What really stood out to me though was the toe brakes.
Unlike my old CH Pedals, the brakes give a bit of resistance.
The CH Brakes were always a bit to soft, and a bit too touchy.
For example, with parking brake set, I could not put my feet on the pedals, or remove my feet from my pedals, without causing the brakes to trigger slightly, and disengaging the parking brake inadvertently. This was from the time the CH Pedals were new.
The TM Brakes are stiff enough, and angled such that this was not an issue.

Finally, I like the narrow distance between the pedals. Only time will tell if they are durable like the CH Pedals, but so far, I like them.
If anyone is considering a new pair of rudder pedals, IMO, these are worth a look.

Regards,
Dave

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

One more thing I should mention.

My old CH Pedals had a tendency of sliding forward as I used them, I was constantly using the back of my heals to reel them in.
The new TM Pedals never slid once. I am on a carpeted floor, so I cannot speak for how they will hold on hardwood, tile or linoleum...
On this carpet though, they held great.

Regards,
Dave

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Got mine yesterday. Cancelled the order after they told me I had to wait until November... Ordered direct in thrustmaster store and got them within two days.

Only did a small test yesterday. Sliding on hard floor is no problem.
Time to get used to the smaller distance between the pedals. Saitek Pedals had larger space between the feet. Toe brake spring tension is more tight, but should be better. I think I always hit the brakes too hard on the Saiteks.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Add me to the TFRP club! :)

Afraid I'm not much use as a reviewer as I've never used any rudder pedals before. In fact, after some 10+ years of simming with just a twisty-handle joystick, the switch to rudder pedals is taking a bit of getting used to, especially because I'm still using the same joystick, just with the twisty handle axis unassigned. At the moment the muscle memory is taking some reprogramming, but even after a few hours things are starting to feel more natural.

Anyway, the pedals themselves feel pretty good to me. The pedal spacing is perhaps a touch on the narrow side, but not uncomfortable and the sliding action is reasonably smooth. The toe brakes pressure and travel also feels absolutely spot on. There's no problem with the assembly sliding on the rather rough tiled floor on which they're placed (one advantage of living in a ~150 year old cottage I guess!) and they also make a nice comfy footrest when not in use. On the downside, they do sound a bit cheap and 'clacky' in use, but then again, at £70 they were cheap. I'm sure they don't compare with the fabled MFG Crosswinds, but they worked out at less than quarter of the price for me, and the Crosswinds wouldn't fit under the desk.

Right! I'm off to do some more erratic taxiing... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nick

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Welcome to the club Nick,

You will find a lot easy and fun to taxi taildraggers with rudder pedals, than with a twist joystick. I have used twist joystick for several years and have to admit the transition to rudder pedals is the best hardware sim upgrade I have made, since buying a good joystick. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

my pedals are pushed against a clarinet case which gives a distance to the wall behind my desk :DD

kurtismantis
Airman Basic

Post by kurtismantis »

Rictus,, I fully concur with you and others. I enjoy them. Have no major issues ( knock knock on wood,lol) I find them to be realistic. Awesome too be quite honest.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

One thing I noticed after installing and using my new Thrustmaster rudder pedals was that when moving my airplane around with the slew key [Y], my airplane would take off sideways at a crazy rate, and end up miles away before I could press the [Y] key to disable slew! I fixed that by going into the P3D options, controls menu and turning off ALL functions of the rudder pedals except for toe brakes and rudder actuation. This was several months ago, and all is fine now. They work great on my T-6, which means they will work great on anything.

Seeya
ATB

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

I have had these pedals for just over a year.
They have been very good overall, but recently the right toe brake stopped working.
I will open them up soon and hoping it is a simple loose wire I can fix.
Otherwise, they are nice pedals for the price.

Regards,
Dave

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”