move to P3D

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

move to P3D

Post by jcblom »

I bought a new computer and thought I might as well make the jump to P3D. Currently trying to figure out how to install my scenery and aircraft, so I had a look at A2A as well.
Am I correct in assuming that the warbirds are not available yet, and that if I want any of the other A2A aircraft in P3D, I have to buy them again?
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: move to P3D

Post by bladerunner900 »

You are correct on both counts.

I have managed to get the Spitfire and P40 working in v4, but judging by what I've read, success is very hit-or-miss.

I look forward to the new v4 Warbirds next year.

Steve

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

The Texan is available, though. You did some nice repaints for her.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I know, and I paid $50 for it at the time, but if I want to continue flying it, I have to pay at least $70? Maybe I would have considered $20 for the upgrade, but this is far too much for me. If the warbirds upgrade is going to be similar, then I guess I'll have to live without A2A aircraft. Enjoy my paints, but don't expect any new ones soon.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I imagine it's quite depressing for the long term FSX/A2A user, who is thinking of changing platforms. It will probably put a lot of people off, so unless A2A change their minds in some way there's not much that we can do.

In the meantime they still work as intended in FSX. Not much comfort I know but there it is.

Steve.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

This is a conversation that's been going on for a few years.

A2A's response as I understand it is that the sims are significantly different, and the modifications and support needed for P3D are different to that for FSX.

As it is, I've got almost all the AccuSim aircraft for FSX, one only for P3D 32-bit and a dual-license for the Comanche I think. If I could have a free or near-free upgrade for all of those to P3Dv4 then I'd probably buy P3Dv4 Academic (not that I'm an official aviation student, but that doesn't seem to matter in the RW).

As it is I'm hoping we see some FSW A2A next year and if so I'll buy 2 or 3 or so of them.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

jcblom wrote:I know, and I paid $50 for it at the time, but if I want to continue flying it, I have to pay at least $70? Maybe I would have considered $20 for the upgrade, but this is far too much for me. If the warbirds upgrade is going to be similar, then I guess I'll have to live without A2A aircraft. Enjoy my paints, but don't expect any new ones soon.

unfortunately the same for me. I've bought the FSL A320, the PMDG airplanes and will go for the MD-82. So extended by ORBX and other scenery, it's been expensive enough.. if the v4 remakes will cost the same prize again, which I expect them to do as they are new products, I will get the P51 and the Cub, but none else of the "old" planes. I used to have and fly all of them regularily, but there is a red line I just can't cross I'm afraid.. I have to pay a flat, a car and so on... I repurchased the GA fleet, but that's enough money. Unfortunately, but I have to be realistic..

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Yep, we feeling your pain. On the other hand... Those who have bitten the bullet will (mostly) tell you it's worth it. There were places in my Orbx world I couldn't fly a basic plane for long, let alone anything accu-simmed, without hitting the 4Gb brick wall. That is (for the time being) history.

You don't have to transition everything at once. Many of us can't. However because A2A do not spit out a new plane every three months (unless there is a bunch ready to go, which is possible I guess), the transition can be done at a manageable rate without getting 'left behind'. In my case, I'll suck it up on the Cub and the Strat in Month 1, assuming they appear in 64b. The rest will have to wait for sales, which do come around regularly enough (a case in point is right now), and choices will get punted around a bit as & when new products arrive.

I've reined in my hanger severely. Over time in FSX I acquired a lot of rubbish that are now 5-10 hour hangar queens - an utter waste, looking back. My P3D log book only has seven planes in it now... five of them by our hosts. I'm going quality over eye-candy quantity. I know that's very much a personal opinion, and possibly counter to yours if you buy with doing repaints in mind. FSX will remain on its own drive for flying the toys that can't or won't be moved.

None of that really helps, I know...
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Really not sure which way to go at the moment. Have FSX-SE and in the last couple of years have spent a small fortune on addons including 7 of the A2A fleet. I am currently focusing on the Spitfire having been lucky enough to fly one for real a few weeks ago and was considering waiting on a p3d version of that before I made the jump from FSX but now considering the cost of the P3D professional license alone, and then re-purchasing addons with their higher price, I am tempted just to live with FSX for a while!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I've been on the fence for a long time as well, but the aquisition of a new computer made me move to P3D4, and I must say it is a major improvement. So far, nearly all my addons ported without any worries, apart from any sibwings products, so no Saab Safir I fear. As for A2A, most of the ones that interest me are not there yet, and the ones that are there would force me to spend even more than the original fsx purchase, only to include an fsx installer as a bonus. I fail to see the logic.. so no Connie or Texan for now. I'll just wait for a huge sale I guess..

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

If you look in the shop right now, the sale might still be on. I picked up a Cherokee for 25% off yesterday.

Andrew Entwistle
Germany
Andrew
i5 8600K @ 5.0GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), ASUS MAXIMUS X Hero, 16Gb RAM
EVGA GTX1070Ti, Win10Pro on Samsung M2 500Gb SSD, P3D V4 on 850 EVO 1Tb
Accusim (P3D): T6/Comanche/Cherokee/Spitfire/P51D Mustang (Civ)/V-Tail Bonanza

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

Look what I got to work (more or less) in P3D:

Happy for now!

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I have a fsx boxed setup with ORBX scenery. It is a dedicated FSX rig which does make a difference in performance. I do not have OOM problems. Unless I was starting from scratch I would not even consider P3D. Not enough difference for the trouble and expense in my opinion.

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

dvm wrote:I have a fsx boxed setup with ORBX scenery. It is a dedicated FSX rig which does make a difference in performance. I do not have OOM problems. Unless I was starting from scratch I would not even consider P3D. Not enough difference for the trouble and expense in my opinion.
It entirely depends on what scenery you have and what areas you fly. I also have a dedicated flightsim rig, and I had endless OOMs without dropping settings to unacceptable levels (i.e. the very left slide on most sliders) anytime I wanted to fly within 200nm of Seattle, or within about 50 miles of any other major city in the world. London was right out. However, I may be a bit of an anomaly, as I own (nearly) every ORBX product, most FlyTampa products, and most FSDreamTeam products. P3Dv4 eliminated that issue. I still have to drop settings a slight bit, because the sim will just choke and error out on something random, but I realize that I'm in the minority as far as how many scenery products I have installed.

Either way, P3Dv4 with high sliders and P3D Tweak Assistant look worlds better than FSX could ever look, and for me, that alone made the whole huge expensive hassle to transition most things over worthwhile. Now I just need a Piper Cub and I'll be set.

-stefan

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

shortspecialbus wrote:
dvm wrote:I have a fsx boxed setup with ORBX scenery. It is a dedicated FSX rig which does make a difference in performance. I do not have OOM problems. Unless I was starting from scratch I would not even consider P3D. Not enough difference for the trouble and expense in my opinion.
It entirely depends on what scenery you have and what areas you fly. I also have a dedicated flightsim rig, and I had endless OOMs without dropping settings to unacceptable levels (i.e. the very left slide on most sliders) anytime I wanted to fly within 200nm of Seattle, or within about 50 miles of any other major city in the world. London was right out. However, I may be a bit of an anomaly, as I own (nearly) every ORBX product, most FlyTampa products, and most FSDreamTeam products. P3Dv4 eliminated that issue. I still have to drop settings a slight bit, because the sim will just choke and error out on something random, but I realize that I'm in the minority as far as how many scenery products I have installed.

Either way, P3Dv4 with high sliders and P3D Tweak Assistant look worlds better than FSX could ever look, and for me, that alone made the whole huge expensive hassle to transition most things over worthwhile. Now I just need a Piper Cub and I'll be set.

-stefan
You are probably correct that I might have OOM problems if I flew in more congested areas for long periods. I mostly fly near small cities with water or agricultural surroundings. It all depends on how much of a load you place on your system. If you are happy and think it was worth the trouble and expense that is great. But forgive me I am a little skeptical that your P3D looks worlds better than FSX with DX10. Orbx scenery is after all Orbx scenery as is FlyTampa. Good to here that your effort and expense was worth it for you and you are enjoying P3D. When it becomes necessary for me to start over I will very likely consider P3D. Thanks for sharing your experience with P3D.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”